Moog upper ball joint, is this installed right?quick wheel fitment question too(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Moog upper ball joint, is this installed right?quick wheel fitment question too(pics)

About three months ago i noticed some play in my driver side upper ball joint so i replaced it with a moog one since everyone seemed to say they are better. Last week i took off my wheel and noticed the ball joint is not on center. I know that you could adjust the camber by twisting it. But this doesn't seem right, I actually had previously noticed that my driver side wheel seems closer to the front of the wheel wheel then the passenger side but i thought it was my imagination. Is this really how it is supposed to be or did I somehow install it wrong.

Also in the other picture i have a 15mm spacer on my front wheel does that look fine or should i add some negative camber to keep it from rubbing?
Attached Thumbnails Moog upper ball joint, is this installed right?quick wheel fitment question too(pics)-imag0468.jpg   Moog upper ball joint, is this installed right?quick wheel fitment question too(pics)-imag0463.jpg  

Last edited by joelmatt89; 01-11-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
You have a "Moog Problem Solver ball joint w/ camber adjustment" on the driver-side, but an OEM (not camber adjustable) ball joint on the passenger side?

Did you get an alignment after installing the ball joint? That's the only way to know if the camber is actually different from side to side.

I don't know how well these type of eccentric ball joints hold their camber setting.

Last edited by gwiffer; 01-11-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ppypants
You have a "Moog Problem Solver ball joint w/ camber adjustment" on the driver-side, but an OEM (not camber adjustable) ball joint on the passenger side?

Did you get an alignment after installing the ball joint? That's the only way to know if the camber is actually different from side to side.

I don't know how well these type of eccentric ball joints hold their camber setting.
okay, i knew that it was a different type i just wasn't sure if it was really supposed to be off center like that as a result of a camber adjustment. I did get an alignment after that but that is another story. I am going to get another one after i get my spacers put on since I will be doing some suspension adjustments. That last alignment I got made me pretty bitter at the shop I took it to, they were completely incompetent, the alignment was awful I don't know if their machine was bad or what.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
I've only used shops that had the Hunter laser alignment rack/system. I think the newest system is the Hunter HawkEye Elite, but the older ones work just as well. They'll give you a printout of your before/after alignment settings. I found a shop that will allow me to sit in driver's seat while they align it to my settings, which are outside of the OEM limits.