Momentary acceleration jump when I punch it

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:28 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Momentary acceleration jump when I punch it

I've been searching the threads for a few days but have not found this issue. 06 MT TL, 49k miles. Whenever I punch the gas I get a very noticeable jump in acceleration before it drops back down and begins to accelerate normally. The jump only lasts for a second or two. I don't believe it's the clutch as I can be in the same gear for 15 minutes and whenever I punch it, I get the same results.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
try to be a little more descriptive. is it a jerk? does it make any noise?
when did it start? did you do any work prior to this happeneing? are the RPM's jumping?
is it a slipping clutch?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:47 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the follow-up questions. It started a few weeks ago right around the time I had an oil change. The only noise is the sound of the engine revving and the RPM's jump 1-2k depending on how hard I punch it. As per the clutch, I have not ruled that out but I haven't noticed any issues going up hills and if I push the gas "normally", I don't notice any issues. Also have not seen any gas mileage drop.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
check the oil, make sure its not low.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is same thing happend on my TL( 07 49k mi). everytime I steps on gas pedal even very soft, the RPM is very sensitive and quickly bunced from 1k to 3k then back to normal when I release my feet. Also Is this normal that my RPM always aim between 0 rpm and 1 rpm even when the car i step on brake or idling? Please anyone could help me the issue?

Originally Posted by dhelmsbu
I've been searching the threads for a few days but have not found this issue. 06 MT TL, 49k miles. Whenever I punch the gas I get a very noticeable jump in acceleration before it drops back down and begins to accelerate normally. The jump only lasts for a second or two. I don't believe it's the clutch as I can be in the same gear for 15 minutes and whenever I punch it, I get the same results.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 PM
6th Gear

Just checked the oil and it's not low. Also, just FYI, I'm not getting any CEL codes. Also, when I head out later, I'm going to try a slipping clutch confirmation that I just read about.

It says to put the car in 4th with E brake on, then slowly let out the clutch while pressing the gas. If you are able to completely release the clutch pedal without the engine stalling (or the car moving), your clutch is history. Not sure how legit it is but I figure it can't hurt.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up questions. It started a few weeks ago right around the time I had an oil change. The only noise is the sound of the engine revving and the RPM's jump 1-2k depending on how hard I punch it. As per the clutch, I have not ruled that out but I haven't noticed any issues going up hills and if I push the gas "normally", I don't notice any issues. Also have not seen any gas mileage drop.
What you have posted here is a classic description of a slipping clutch. So to be certain of what you are telling us, let's say you are in third gear with the engine turning around 3,000 RPM, clutch fully engaged of course. If you were to go full throttle suddenly, you are saying that engine speed would increase at a rate not in proportion of wheel speed. In other words, you would note a sudden jump in RPM's and not so much in acceleration initially.

To confirm this, find a piece of road where you can do this safely. Get your car moving and get into 3rd gear with clutch fully engaged. Cruise at around 3,500 RPM, then floor it while holding the brake enough so that the car does not increase its speed.. and watch your tach while doing this. Do the RPM's increase suddenly? You can also so something like this on a rather steep hill.

If engine speed increases and wheel (road) speed does not increase at a proportionate rate, your clutch is slipping.

You mentioned that you "had" your oil changed. Did you wait for your car or did you drop it off and pick it up later? How many miles do you have on the car? Are you the original owner? If not, did you buy it in a private sale or from a dealer?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ky5totan
It is same thing happend on my TL( 07 49k mi). everytime I steps on gas pedal even very soft, the RPM is very sensitive and quickly bunced from 1k to 3k then back to normal when I release my feet. Also Is this normal that my RPM always aim between 0 rpm and 1 rpm even when the car i step on brake or idling? Please anyone could help me the issue?
If you could do a little better job with your description, I might be able to offer some help.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Just checked the oil and it's not low. Also, just FYI, I'm not getting any CEL codes. Also, when I head out later, I'm going to try a slipping clutch confirmation that I just read about.

It says to put the car in 4th with E brake on, then slowly let out the clutch while pressing the gas. If you are able to completely release the clutch pedal without the engine stalling (or the car moving), your clutch is history. Not sure how legit it is but I figure it can't hurt.
Don't do this yet. It is very hard on a clutch. Do what I suggested first. If your clutch still has enough left in it to allow you to get by before you can take it in for replacement (assuming that's the problem), you don't want to do anything that is destructive if you don't have to. So hold off on that idea.

BTW, oil has nothing to do with our clutches. It only serves the engine. However, our clutches do utilize a hydraulic control system so it never hurts to check the level of the reservoir for that.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

actually it happened after I did TB cleaning and fuel injec clearning. is this related to the issue i am current having?

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
If you could do a little better job with your description, I might be able to offer some help.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Wait, so you mean something like the revs jump from 2k to 3k, then back down to say 2.5k rpm? Or does it go quickly from 2k-3k, then relatively slowly from 3k-4k rpm?
Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

actually it happened after I did TB cleaning and fuel injec clearning. is this related to the issue i am current having?
No. There is no connection between the fuel and intake system, and your clutch and transmission. Different components.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Exclamation

Hi Southernboy,

1. wouldn't clutch slipping affect gas milage? Today I noticed my MPG dropped dramtically from 15 to 10 (city local driving?

2. It just happend I did throttle body clearning at the dealer, BUT I assume that Throttle boday clearning should of helping GAS MILEAGE right?

3. My RPM has very noticed change when I press the gas pedal hard, senestive jump then back to normal.

4. Shouldn't I bring my car to the dealer and address the issue?

Now i am getting worried please help. 07-TL 49K mile on it.

Thankyou.

Don't do this yet. It is very hard on a clutch. Do what I suggested first. If your clutch still has enough left in it to allow you to get by before you can take it in for replacement (assuming that's the problem), you don't want to do anything that is destructive if you don't have to. So hold off on that idea.

BTW, oil has nothing to do with our clutches. It only serves the engine. However, our clutches do utilize a hydraulic control system so it never hurts to check the level of the reservoir for that.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Hi Southernboy,

1. wouldn't clutch slipping affect gas milage? Today I noticed my MPG dropped dramtically from 15 to 10 (city local driving?

2. It just happend I did throttle body clearning at the dealer, BUT I assume that Throttle boday clearning should of helping GAS MILEAGE right?

3. My RPM has very noticed change when I press the gas pedal hard, senestive jump then back to normal.

4. Shouldn't I bring my car to the dealer and address the issue?

Now i am getting worried please help. 07-TL 49K mile on it.

Thankyou.

Items:

1. Yes it could but it would almost be imperceptible. You wouldn't notice it nor would it likely show up during a mileage check. If it was slipping so much that your mileage dropped a third (as in your post her), your car would most likely not even be moving. If your mileage has dropped as much as you are reporting (15 to 10 MPG) something is most definitely wrong. Perhaps you went a little overboard with the throttle body cleaning and contaminated your OX sensors.

2. See #1.

3. I think you are trying to say that your engine speed (RPM's) increases a lot and then goes back to what you believe to be normal. I don't know what you mean by, "senestive jump". If engine speed suddenly increases beyond that which would be normal when you tip into the throttle and your clutch is fully engaged, your clutch is slipping. This is very easy to detect and diagnose.

4. If your clutch is slipping, you most definitely should be taking it into a shop or dealer you trust for repair/replacement. You DO NOT want this problem to continue as it will only get worse and can put you in danger.

And 49,000 miles on a clutch is far too low in mileage to be having clutch problems. If you bought the car used, the former owner(s) didn't know how to properly operate a manual transmission.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 PM
6th Gear

What you have posted here is a classic description of a slipping clutch. So to be certain of what you are telling us, let's say you are in third gear with the engine turning around 3,000 RPM, clutch fully engaged of course. If you were to go full throttle suddenly, you are saying that engine speed would increase at a rate not in proportion of wheel speed. In other words, you would note a sudden jump in RPM's and not so much in acceleration initially.

To confirm this, find a piece of road where you can do this safely. Get your car moving and get into 3rd gear with clutch fully engaged. Cruise at around 3,500 RPM, then floor it while holding the brake enough so that the car does not increase its speed.. and watch your tach while doing this. Do the RPM's increase suddenly? You can also so something like this on a rather steep hill.

If engine speed increases and wheel (road) speed does not increase at a proportionate rate, your clutch is slipping.

You mentioned that you "had" your oil changed. Did you wait for your car or did you drop it off and pick it up later? How many miles do you have on the car? Are you the original owner? If not, did you buy it in a private sale or from a dealer?
Thanks for all the input. I do believe that it is a slipping clutch. As per the oil change, I waited for it. And I bought this car last November. It was coming off a lease with 34K miles. I'm just not used to having a clutch problem. I bought my last 3 cars new (all MT) and had 165k, 44k, and 115k miles on them respectively and never had a clutch or tranny issue. Now I will need to see what my best options are for that job.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The timing of this post is somewhat prophetic. I am having a similar issue with my 06 TL MT with 59K on the clock. I bought it used from a car dealer (non-Acura). It just started today. I was accelerating hard to get on a highway, working through the gears, and now it slips as described above. I have been driving stick for 30 years, just sold my '94 Corolla 5-Speed with 201K on the clock and that clutch was fine. Before that, many other standard shift cars and no issue.

I am going to try the procedure SouthernBoy suggested above: third gear, 3-3.5RPM, brake, and WOT and see if it slips. I assume, each time there is a slip, you're heating the crap out of the flywheel == not good (warp-age).

Last question, is this DIY job not for the faint of heart? I have done a lot of car work over the years (timing belts, head gaskets, engine replacements, clutch jobs (rear-wheel cars), etc.).