Mold/mildew on paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mold/mildew on paint

I have an 04 with WDP paint. I've noticed that mold/mildew has begun to grow on the inside of the fuel filler door, around the upper trunk water channel creases (in the corners) below and outside the rubber seal and also on the trunk lid near the corners that are outside of the seal area (presuming it is growing or spreading from channel below).

I'm guessing the cause must be that water is sitting in these areas after it rains, and the mold/mildew is growing before the water can evaporate. What kind of cleaner could be safely used to kill/clean off the mold without harming the paint/clearcoat? (I would assume that bathroom anti-mold cleaners are too strong and would eat the paint away, yes?)

Also, after cleaning, any advice on steps I can take that may help prevent/reduce the mold from re-growing in the future?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 02-17-2007, 08:45 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I've had that happen on other cars. Put a little wax on there, check it often, and keep it clean with the soap you use to wash your car.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:27 AM
71Q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
use a sealer on the paint, as opposed to a wax, perhaps the sealant will last longer as well!

Check the detailing section, my car does it as well, and its anthracite. I dont think we would be the only two out there, so if i find anything, ill let you know!

take care
Mark
Old 02-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
722ish--thanks for the sealant advice. I'm new and I didn't see the detailing section before posting this. I'll browse through it tonight. Hopefully I will find someone who has some good advice on how to first get the mold off of the paint without damaging the finish. I really need to find out so that the mold doesn't damage the paint as well.

If I don't find anything, I have to take the car in next week to have a couple of annoying rattles looked at plus try to find the source of squeaky brakes. I'll see if the dealership's detailing guys have any advice. Thankfully the mold is hidden so that I don't look like I'm driving around in a stale, moldy bagle! If I find any good, credible advice, I'll post it back here for you and anyone else who might be interested.

Later!
Chris