Metal tinking noise coming from wheel area

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Metal tinking noise coming from wheel area

I have a metal tinking noise coming from the driver's front wheel area. It only tinks when either at very low speeds below 10 mph and when accelerating softly from a stop. Any clue to what might be the culprit?

It's been happening for about 4 weeks now. Noise never occurred then it popped up out of no where.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue. If you have changed your brakes, and it is still there, it is most likely the wheel bearing. I changed mine, and my car rides like a dream now!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Herro

Yea, changed my brakes while the problem was still occuring and it's still there. Wheel bearing huh? Anyone else?
Old 10-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Intermediate

How many miles do you have? If this problem is repeatable, try doing this in a parking lot with alot of room. Fully turn the wheel to the left and see if you here the noise, and than turn the wheel fully to the right. This will be stressing the outer CV joints, which can make clicking type sounds if bad. If it did not change at all in these hard turns, it most likely is not the CV joint. If it did change, you mostly have an outer CV joint problem on the left side.

Last edited by marcoguy; 10-24-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Herro

Ok. I'm gonna try to get a clip of the noise soon. I'll try the method you suggested above. But I believe the noise occurs both while going straight and while turning. Not sure if that helps narrow the problem down.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
I've got the same issue on the right side. Based on my findings here on Azine, I'm pretty sure it's a CV joint issue. I'm going to have it checked out. Anyone have any idea what repair/replacement costs would be?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Racer

i GOT IT TO

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
I've got the same issue on the right side. Based on my findings here on Azine, I'm pretty sure it's a CV joint issue. I'm going to have it checked out. Anyone have any idea what repair/replacement costs would be?
Mine first showed up " the Noise" last winter. Seems to go away after car warms up. but it moved to the right side as well. Actually, I had forgotten about it because of the warm weather. I do remember a thread last year about the CV/Noise Wierd I have 91,000 on my 05AT and HAVE NOT done breakes yet!!! But I know my time is coming soon. guess I'll have them check into the noise when we do the brakes
Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had some metallic noise coming from the front passenger wheel. Only happened during acceleration and stopping. I ended up spraying all the rubber; bushings etc. with silicone spray. The sound is gone.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ross7778
I had some metallic noise coming from the front passenger wheel. Only happened during acceleration and stopping. I ended up spraying all the rubber; bushings etc. with silicone spray. The sound is gone.
I'd like to think my issue would be solved by spraying down the bushing with silicone spray, but I don't think we have the same issue. Mine is becoming more frequent. I first noticed it when backing out of my garage - very light acceleration / engagement of clutch. Now I can hear it pulling away from lights, etc...
Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Racer

I'd like to think my issue would be solved by spraying down the bushing with silicone spray, but I don't think we have the same issue. Mine is becoming more frequent. I first noticed it when backing out of my garage - very light acceleration / engagement of clutch. Now I can hear it pulling away from lights, etc...
Mine is only when turning while moving forward. I can't explain how it sounds
Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lowbudgetTL
Mine is only when turning while moving forward. I can't explain how it sounds
You might also want to check on the intermediate shaft heat sheild. Mine sometimes makes a buzzing sound depending on the weather. I've tried bending it slightly and tightening the bolts and it seemed to help a little. I think there are a couple threads about it.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Instructor

same issue!! what a great topic!

I wasnt sure how to explain that to my dealer, and they couldn't figure it out. The noise comes from the stop to go at low speed, you can hear it well. I always thought, that it was coming from the engine, but also I'm not sure. Going to drop off my car this Thurs, for Motor Mounts and going to ask them again.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i'd guess wheel bearing
Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SG81
i'd guess wheel bearing
I have this noise too, like if its a set of keys being wiggled in the air. I had my wheel bearings replaced 10,000 miles ago. Could they have gone bad that fast?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Missing My CL-S

Originally Posted by Zigma
I have this noise too, like if its a set of keys being wiggled in the air. I had my wheel bearings replaced 10,000 miles ago. Could they have gone bad that fast?
yeah, they could go that fast, although unusual. if it was installed even a tiny bit off, it won't last long. i had one last only a month once b/c of either a defective bearing or incorrect install (still not sure). even when using the press, a mistake can be made. does it sound like metal to metal grinding?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Instructor

is there an Aftermarket wheel Bearing available? where it lasts longer and more efficent?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by collezione

I wasnt sure how to explain that to my dealer, and they couldn't figure it out. The noise comes from the stop to go at low speed, you can hear it well. I always thought, that it was coming from the engine, but also I'm not sure. Going to drop off my car this Thurs, for Motor Mounts and going to ask them again.
I was in an accident and I believe they fixed everything so I dont hear it anymore
Old 10-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Racer

is there an Aftermarket wheel Bearing available? where it lasts longer and more efficent?
I dont think so... the shop i took it to before tried to put aftermarket wheel bearings and unfortunately, while they fit, they cause more problems than they fix. My ABS/VSA stopped working. The oem wheel bearings have like this strip inside them that acts like a sensor and detects how fast you are going. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zigma
I dont think so... the shop i took it to before tried to put aftermarket wheel bearings and unfortunately, while they fit, they cause more problems than they fix. My ABS/VSA stopped working. The oem wheel bearings have like this strip inside them that acts like a sensor and detects how fast you are going. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Actually, found some few aftermarket brands NSK and Timken, not sure how good and reliable they are. Also that a good point about ABS/VSA definately don't want to create a new problem.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Missing My CL-S

for a wheel bearing, just stick with OEM. it's probably only $50-60 and should last you the longest. the aftermarket bearings i've seen were crap compared to the OEM ones
Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Great thread!

I think I have a similar, if not the same, problem/noise. First, let's try describing the noise. It sounds like metal filaments fluttering (or vibrating) in the air. The location is nearest the driver side and sounds to be inside the dashboard. It is not very loud. With all the ambient noises, it might be difficult to notice for someone who doesn't drive the car everyday.

Most of the time, I notice the noise when driving on rough road and at moderate speed (20-40 mph maybe). It does not come on all the time. Ambient and engine temperature don't seem to have any effect. I haven't noticed if turning the wheel to extreme right/left induce the noise.

The car has 22,000 miles on it. I have no idea what causes the noise and have not contacted my local dealer for advice.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 PM

Keep us posted on your dealer's findings. My sound is definitely more of a metal click sound. I only hear it once moving forward and not always, but I think I heard it click three times this AM, when I pulled to the left out of my driveway this AM
Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.. I first noticed it when backing out of my garage - very light acceleration / engagement of clutch. Now I can hear it pulling away from lights, etc...

I am starting to notice this same noise. Not sure if its a 'metal tinking noise' but its almost like there is slop in something? I only notice the noise while accelerating and its usually as i am engaging the clutch. Its like i said feels like its absorbing the 'slop' and once its absorbed it its fine. Its very faint as well. Coming from the front passenger wheel area (that i can tell)

I know its not the CV because im not getting a clicking noise, or vibration or any of that. Ive also had the CVs replaced under warranty b/c the CV boots failed.

Of course my warranty has expired, but I have on a service report that i heard such a noise and the dealer put couldn't replicate noise. Anyway they will cover this if I return? It was probably about 8 months ago.

Does anyone have a definite fix/solution for this problem?

Oh yeah i have 48,555 miles on my 05 TL 6SPD
Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same freakin noise. the car does this noise when accelerating and holding the accelerater steadily at 2500 rpm. try it thats the same noise.

F'ing dealer cant reproduce the noise for a year now. And btw car only does when its semi cold. Once i get on the highway noise is gone till the next day.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Exhaust heat shield rattle/vibrating?

There are a couple of TSBs on the heat shields, esp. for '04 and '05.