Light bulbs around navigation screen are out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:35 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Light bulbs around navigation screen are out.

Hello,

I have a 05 TL Navigation.
Some time ago, one of the light bulbs (I think it was Cancel button) went out.
So I bought a new one, opened the whole thing up, took the LCD Navigation unit out and replaced the light bulb.
I did not disconnect the battery, and when I screwed the light bulb in, there was a light smoke that came from the bulb socket. I knew it was not good.
Anyways, I tested the lights and they were working. So I put the whole thing back together and start heading home (I was at my brother's house). It was night time and I could see that lights around LCD screen were bleaker than the other lights (like on the cassette player). They kept getting dimmer until they all went out.
Yesterday, I got my order of 12 brand new light bulbs. I opened the whole thing up again, disconnected the battery this time, replaced every light bulb around the LCD screen and none of them work again.
Furthermore, light bulb on "Max" button (right next to dimmer switch), "Info", and "Select" buttons went out as soon as I finished putting everything back/.

Do you think I fried the board?
Any advice/recommendation will be welcome.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Did you use OEM bulbs?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 PM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
whoa that's weird; any other lights out? +1 on the usage of OEM bulbs?
Have you checked your fuses?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Did you use OEM bulbs?
Yes, I got them from the local Acura dealer and from Delray Acura the second time.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:07 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Project_CLean
whoa that's weird; any other lights out? +1 on the usage of OEM bulbs?
Have you checked your fuses?
Yes, the fuses are OK. I checked both locations - inside and under the hood.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 08TL TypeS and the same thing happened to me... At first only my OFF & DUAL BACKLIGHTING were, then I had the body shop replace the bulbs. 3 Days later all the backlighting to the buttons that surround the NAV DISPLAY were out...

Any recommendation would really help!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:21 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I can't say why the smoke, but if you're gonna pull the whole thing apart because 1 or 2 bulbs blew out, buy and replace them all ... because if you just replace the burned out one(s), it's a matter of weeks before another one goes out. And you really don't want to go through all that labor again, right?
The following users liked this post:
Ranuponya (01-17-2022)
Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by DMZ
I can't say why the smoke, but if you're gonna pull the whole thing apart because 1 or 2 bulbs blew out, buy and replace them all ... because if you just replace the burned out one(s), it's a matter of weeks before another one goes out. And you really don't want to go through all that labor again, right?
I agree DMZ. That is why I ordered brand new bulbs - 12 of them.
I did not understand why would the other ones go if replace some of the old burned out ones?
Also, could one bad bulb prevent other ones from working?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by hot_ice1027
I agree DMZ. That is why I ordered brand new bulbs - 12 of them. I did not understand why would the other ones go if replace some of the old burned out ones? Also, could one bad bulb prevent other ones from working?
It has nothing to to do a burned out bulb taking another one with it. It has to do with the age of the vehicle and the probability that another bulb will die from age given the car is going on 7 years old.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 PM
7th Gear

Lights

I will take it apart again this Sunday and take it to my buddy.
He is good with electronics and he has multimeter. Hopefully, we will be able to get to the bottom of it.
Will keep you updated...
Old 03-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
too lazy and too early right now to search forums for the DIY, but is there an easy way to take it apart to get to the lights? Mine has a few out and I am going to the dealer today to get screws for the center arm console(looked under the armrest and noticed 6 screws missing) so might as well get the bulbs also. Does anyone recall if our AT shifter lights up-the P,R, D,N. I dont believe mine has lit up in a long while?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by tlmailman
too lazy and too early right now to search forums for the DIY, but is there an easy way to take it apart to get to the lights? Mine has a few out and I am going to the dealer today to get screws for the center arm console(looked under the armrest and noticed 6 screws missing) so might as well get the bulbs also. Does anyone recall if our AT shifter lights up-the P,R, D,N. I dont believe mine has lit up in a long while?
there is no "easy" way to get to the nav screen bulbs.

take off silver garnish trim.
take off cup holders.
take off cubby holes area.
remove nav screen sourrounding.
lights are exposed.

yes the AT shifter lights are supposed to light up.

i would replace ALL of the light bulbs while you're back there so that you dont have to do it again for a long time.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath

yes the AT shifter lights are supposed to light up.
When I take everything out for the navi, will the shifter lights be accessable also? And are those lights the same as the navi lights?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM
7th Gear

OK guys, sorry for the delay in my updates – working two jobs and going to school…
Anyways, I took my car to my friend and he could not do anything because he said that he needed the schematics of that LCD unit. I did not have it, the repair manual did not have it, so he ordered it from somewhere (I will post that info later if interested). So I will go to his place again and hopefully figure this thing out.
Meanwhile, my DVD unit crapped out. I sent it to Alpine and they fixed it. I put it back in yesterday.
While my DVD unit was out for repairs, I went to Acura to see if they can figure this out (damn the costs). Initially, they told me that it was OK to bring my car in for diagnostics without the DVD unit, but after screwing around with my car for half of the day, they told me that I had to have the DVD unit in for them to diagnose the problem with the lights. They did not charge me by the way.
If anyone is interested in how to get to those lights around LCD unit, I will be taking it apart this weekend and can make some pictures and post it.
MonkeyTrucker (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Cruisin'

Anyone know of a DIY page for this?

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to do this… or more specifically what to buy! What kind of bulbs are in there? All of my lights around the nav are out.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
It has nothing to to do a burned out bulb taking another one with it.
Dunno about that, it could be similar to Christmas lights in that the bulbs are in essence a fuse, others will stay on with one or two burnt bulbs, putting stress on the other lights, resulting in their early demise afterwards too. Would seem plausible since they're on the same circuit.

Looking forward to your DIY type update OP, thanks in advance!!
Old 12-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Cruisin'

Here's a link to where you can find the part numbers. I'm not sure if this is the best place to buy, but it is a place to buy and the prices look to be in the right range.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=TL&catcgry2=2 004&catcgry3=4DR+BASE+(NAVIGATION)&catcgry5=CENTER %2BMODULE%2B%28NAVI%29&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no
Old 12-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Hey guys that I have a similar problem I took my shifter apart to check if the bulb for the gear selector was burnt out and took it out to bring it to the store and when I put everything back in all my accessory lights including the ones on the steering wheel around navigation the dome lights pretty much all the lights on the little buttons have all gone out and also when I switch on my headlights the navigation does not going to night mode any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
did you unplug the battery first?

check out the fuses
Old 12-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
did you unplug the battery first?

check out the fuses
I did not. I didnt think checking a bulb required that. All I did was unscrew knob, take out the plastic gear indicator, trim and the plate under that.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Racer

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe all lighting can be found under fuse 6, 7 and 32 all 7.5A. If so, they are all intact.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

My lights out too.

The dealership has had my car for the majority of the last 3 months trying to get random interior lights to work. They got them all to light up (except one) and as I drove off the lot they all started going out again, one by one. I brought my car home yesterday and some others are out now. It's not old bulbs. The new ones have gone out too. Navigation controls. temperature controls. turn signal, console lights, etc.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out what causes the bulbs around the navigation to go out? I know it's something on the pcb board itself but what I don't know.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Passing on my own experience: I went to replace the bulbs on the NAV and AC buttons with LEDS. Lazy and didn't disconnect battery. Shorted out one while it was plugged in and lost all of the ones around the NAV display. The issue was I blew the FET transistor that controls the dimming function. So it was either replace the transistor or get a new NAV (the transistor is mounted in the NAV circuit board). Didn't want to do either so I tapped the bulb power to the light in the center console arm rest. Got it to work with some wire and minimal soldering. Replacing the side buttons would not work (for me) as they had nothing to do with the problem. Hope it works out for you whatever you do. Good luck
Rene Solis (01-19-2020)
Old 12-27-2018, 12:06 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I've just replaced mine yesterday. I didn't disconnect the battery, but I did disconnect all the harnesses on the navi and the radio. I couldn't disconnect the antenna from the radio, but there are 2 screws on each side of the navi to disconnect it from the radio bracket, and also 1 big black screw on each side that points up as well. Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone could replace the bulbs without disconnecting the harness and removing the navi from the radio, unless you're seated in some sort of awkward position
Old 11-01-2019, 03:38 PM
7th Gear

Reviving an old thread.....please tell us if your procedure worked. Are all the lights around the Navi still working today, assuming you still have your TL?

Originally Posted by jimmyfu
I've just replaced mine yesterday. I didn't disconnect the battery, but I did disconnect all the harnesses on the navi and the radio. I couldn't disconnect the antenna from the radio, but there are 2 screws on each side of the navi to disconnect it from the radio bracket, and also 1 big black screw on each side that points up as well. Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone could replace the bulbs without disconnecting the harness and removing the navi from the radio, unless you're seated in some sort of awkward position
Old 12-11-2019, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same problem. I am going to tapped into the center console light, Do you remember which cable do I need to tap into? Thanks in advance
Old 01-03-2022, 12:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I am having issues with the navi Setup / Info Light which needs to be changed out. Does anyone have a link to a video or a video that can be uploaded to demonstrate how to replace the Setup / Info, Map / Guide, Menu button lightbulbs?

Much appreciated