Lemon Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemon Acura?

I am curious to find out, has any one had an Acura that is considered lemon? And what happen? Any info would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's a very rare color for 2006, it's pronounced "lay-monn".

Are you having issues with your TL?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
what are u guys talking about??
Old 08-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Yeah my car has a slight pull when going at high speed, sixty or above.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:22 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you had a balance / alignment done ?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced

I have, many times.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Swap/replace the tires?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Sacrifice a small animal?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
If you havn't already, you need to look at the Lemon Law for your state. What defines a Lemon varies from state-to-state and a "slight pull when .... going sixty or above" might not qualify.

If you need to google "YOURSTATE Lemon Law" and read up. Also check your warranty booklets. In my '07 one booklet has state-by-state Lemon Law procedures.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before you go too far...or get all worked up...read this whole thing...it might help a little. It's important to note that the problem you are having may or may not be considered SERIOUS by other people...but if you bring the car back enough times and the dealer attempts to fix it and cannot...it's a lemon. Period. Now I don't promote bringing a car back and busting a dealer's balls because the wiper blades are bad...but there are things that do merit a refund....thus lemon laws.

While I'm not familiar with all the state lemon laws accross the country, I have sucessfully gotten a car bought back from GM here in Illinois. I did not need a lawyer, just had to follow the state's rules and be patient. In my case the front door seals leaked every time it rained. They never did get it fixed. It was out of service 45 days after 4 attempts at repair in the first 4 months of ownership.

Here's here's some advise...this is why I won my lemon case against GM:

First and foremost: KEEP ALL RECORDS OF EVERY REPAIR including all dates the car is out of service (which means if you drop it on a Tuesday AM and get it back Friday PM, that's 4 days out of service...even if they only worked on it on Friday). I started a calendar just for this purpose after they had my car for a week the first time I brought it in for leaks.

In the state of Illinois, what it takes to qualify a new car as a lemon is one of the following conditions:

A. The car must be brought back for the same issue 4 times for repair and the dealer is still unable to get the problem resolved.

-OR-
B. The vehicle is out of service for more than 30 days during the first calendar year of ownership.

Most states have very similar laws with the conditions varying on how many attempts at repair the dealers get, and how many days out of service it takes. Check the laws in your local state.

I also suggest that you contact the BBB in your state and get a case number AS SOON AS YOU SUSPECT your car is a lemon. Get them involved early as possible, but not before at least 2 attempts at repair have been made (which allows the dealer to really try to get it right).
This serves several purposes:

First it puts the dealership on notice that you are seeking this course of action, and that you're serious about getting it fixed or getting your money back.

Second, the auto manufacturer is also put on notice, and is more likely to send a regional manager to check out your vehicle and 'oversee' repair attempts. (You MAY wind up with all your troubles fixed!)

Third, you get familiar with the BBB. You will have a case representative who will indeed get to know your case and will work with you from start to finish.

Fourth, and most important, the day you pick up your car after the 4th attempt at repairs and you file your claim papers with the BBB...the manufacturer is fully aware that they have already lost the case. Within a few weeks of that day you'll be dropping off the keys and walking away with a full refund check. They really have no choice at that point. They may try to offer you another car...and it's up to you if you want that or your money.

ALSO IMPORTANT....FIGHT TO GET ALL YOUR TAX REFUNDED PER YOUR SALES CONTRACT AS WELL (they will try to tell you to collect that back from your state).

Additionally, keep accurate records of any mods you make to the car. THEY HAVE TO REIMBURSE YOU FOR THOSE AS WELL, but only if you can prove what you paid.

Hey I hope you do not need to take it that far, it's a pretty shitty experience. But if you do, I wish you luck. It's not fun going through a lemon buy-back...but it sure felt good leaving that dealership with my full purchase price refund check.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:47 PM
AZ Community Team

^^

Burbs that's good advice. My point earlier relates to 1. What constitutes a Lemon and 2. the procedure for getting the car declared a Lemon and/or the compensation.

In NC, our statute says: ".... the repair or correction of, any defect or condition or series of defects or conditions which substantially impair the value of the motor vehicle to the consumer, ...." The bolded portion being the relevant clause to determine whether the car is a Lemon. IOW, here, it is not *just* how many times the repair has been attempted or how many days out of service. The defect(s) must also meet the bolded portion above.

In many states there is a binding arbitration procedure for determining whether a car is a Lemon and/or the amount of compensation.

The OP must understand the Lemon Law statute in his own state to form an opion as to whether his car *may* qualify.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Advanced

ChicagoBurbs, I can't even express my appreciation by saying thank you. And you Bearcat94 as well. Wow! You guys have really thaught me a lot. Thanks a whole bunch for such valuable information. What you guys have provided me is really great. I will do as you said ChicagoBurbs. I really hope that I can walk out of my dealership with a total refund check or another car that does not have any problems. Thanks again guys. I will keep you guys posted when I get a result.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by InfernoAffairs
ChicagoBurbs, I can't even express my appreciation by saying thank you. And you Bearcat94 as well. Wow! You guys have really thaught me a lot. Thanks a whole bunch for such valuable information. What you guys have provided me is really great. I will do as you said ChicagoBurbs. I really hope that I can walk out of my dealership with a total refund check or another car that does not have any problems. Thanks again guys. I will keep you guys posted when I get a result.

Hey Inferno...you're very welcome. I apologize if my reply is a bit hard to follow...I was pretty tired when I wrote it.

IMO, you shouldn't get too detailed in a public forum about the particulars of your case, since it's in the public domain...that could backfire on you. I suggest that if you have any further questions or need details of what I went through, you PM me. Having been through it, I may be able to provide some insights. I also suggest you do some serious research into what is necessary in your state to prevail in a lemon-law case before you go any further. And once again, document everything relating to this problem.

I'm no lawyer...nor can I advise you as to what is or is not a good lemon case where you live. But if you want to know about my specific dealings with an auto manufacturer in an isolated case...I'll be more than happy to help a fellow member by sharing my experience.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by InfernoAffairs
My pleasure. Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Advanced

I really appreciate everything guys.