LED in taillamp burnt!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED in taillamp burnt!

Hey guys,
our taillamps are full of LEDS, and today i noticed that 2 of mine are burnt! what do i do? buy a new cluster of LEDS? how can I fix those 2? I have 32000km if it helps..
Old 09-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by houdaman
Hey guys,
our taillamps are full of LEDS, and today i noticed that 2 of mine are burnt! what do i do? buy a new cluster of LEDS? how can I fix those 2? I have 32000km if it helps..

good luck getting an answer on here about your LED's, nobody here seems to know what to do with them besides "take it to a dealer" or "buy a new one from dealer".
Old 09-13-2007, 02:04 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
take it to the dealer.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
The LED's are sold from the factory as a unit.

You might be able to locate a source for the single LED and replace them individually. The cost for the bank is just over $100

But like everyone said, your dealer is the best place to start if it's still under warranty.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Advanced

the service rep told me that lights and lamps are only covered 1 year or 20,000km.
i have a 06 with 32000. is he just being a ass, or?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Wrong...

Look an LED is a LIGHT EMITTING DIODE. It is NOT a standard bulb...it cannot "burn out". The circuit can short out or the LED can become hot enough in a cluster to melt, but that is radical. Thermal failures occur on certain color LED's that produce radiant heat. Red is not one of them.

The bumber to bumper coverage should include a factory defect such as LED's that fail.

That is the reason they went to LED's in the first place. They last so much longer, practically forever if the lense and system is designed right.

A-Train
Old 09-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Pro

The same thing happened to my '05. I didn't try to get it covered under warranty because I had installed the type S lenses and I thought they would deny it. I had to replace the whole LED board...I think it was about $100 bucks.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by houdaman
Hey guys,
Second thought...I have the old board from my car that has the burnt LEDs...if you think you can remove and resolder the good LEDs from it, I'll send it to you...just pay for the shipping.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:09 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That should be covered by the factory warranty as Atrain said. Insist they cover it for you. You have a reasonable expectation that the LED taillight will last far longer than the factory warranty, if not for the life of the car. This may be something the legal types refer to a "fitness of merchantability," or something like that.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Atrain
Look an LED is a LIGHT EMITTING DIODE. It is NOT a standard bulb...it cannot "burn out". The circuit can short out or the LED can become hot enough in a cluster to melt, but that is radical. Thermal failures occur on certain color LED's that produce radiant heat. Red is not one of them.

The bumber to bumper coverage should include a factory defect such as LED's that fail.

That is the reason they went to LED's in the first place. They last so much longer, practically forever if the lense and system is designed right.

A-Train
This is off-topic but man, you need to chill out. All of your latest posts are of an offensive know it all attitude. Granted you know a lot more than almost all of us, but the arrogance is ridiculous.

Maybe you should go off to the Ford forums and spout off there.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:52 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
KN...
Grow some thicker skin.

There's nothing offensive or arrogant about ATrain's post above. Everything he said is true. The OP should memorize it directly as it's written, and repeat it to his local dealer's service manager and get his tailight repaired under warranty.

Secondly, I understand Atrain's perspective. When you know things and have experience, and you try to share them, yet are undermined with raw and pure misinformation from other less informed users... you do get frustrated.

I have experience in VW's... Unfortunately lots... Doesn't mean the physics involved in an internal combustion engine and the manufacturing principles aren't the same. No engine is bulletproof, including Honda's.

Originally Posted by KN_TL
This is off-topic but man, you need to chill out. All of your latest posts are of an offensive know it all attitude. Granted you know a lot more than almost all of us, but the arrogance is ridiculous.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kennedy
KN...
Grow some thicker skin.

There's nothing offensive or arrogant about ATrain's post above. Everything he said is true. The OP should memorize it directly as it's written, and repeat it to his local dealer's service manager and get his tailight repaired under warranty.

Secondly, I understand Atrain's perspective. When you know things and have experience, and you try to share them, yet are undermined with raw and pure misinformation from other less informed users... you do get frustrated.

I have experience in VW's... Unfortunately lots... Doesn't mean the physics involved in an internal combustion engine and the manufacturing principles aren't the same. No engine is bulletproof, including Honda's.
Understand...I just finished reading the correspondence on another post and it put me in a bad frame of mind.

A-train, please let this go and we'll end this here with no discussion needed.

BTW, I totally agree with everything you guys say here.

I told someone else the same thing (thicker skin) , but you know how that goes sometimes.

Application of thicker skin in progress.....

Again, sorry for the hijack.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL

what's so "arrogant" about his reply? he's just trying to help
Old 09-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking No problem...

KN_TL,

I'm not trying to be offensive or arrogant, not at all. I apologize if you feel that way.

I've had to bite my tongue many times and sit back and let people get burned the hard way. I'm trying to help my fellow TL owners not fall into the same pitfalls that others do.

If I come off stern and abrupt well that is my style. If I don't know about a subject, I do not post. I have no idea what backgrounds posters have, nor do they know mine.

Some people post just to increase their post counts. Some people believe anything they read.

No hard feelings.

A-Train