Knocking sound in engine on 05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking sound in engine on 05 TL

Wonder if anyone else has experienced this. My Canadian 05 TL with 29000 km on it (approx 18000 miles) has started to develop an engine knock. I can't hear it while driving, (although that's not to say it doesn't happen under acceleration, ) but when idling, you can hear a knock knock knock - - - knock knock knock ---. It kind of cycles and is coming from the right front of the engine. It is not overly noisy, but you can hear it from outside the car if you listen carefully. The sound is an engine knock not a rattle.

I have had it in to the dealer, and they claim they can't tell me what is causing the problem even though they can hear it. The strange thing is, it sometimes disappears and you can't hear it at all. If anyone else has experienced anything like this would appreciate hearing from you. The car is always looked after and 91 octane fuel is always used. I normally use Sunoco fuel, but have over the last couple of months used Shell as well. (Never did like shell fuel, but apparently with their top tier fuels, it is recommended) As stated, for the first 24000 km, I used only sunoco and never had a problem and just wondering if shell fuel might be the culprit.

The sound, knocks for about a second, then stops for about a second then knocks again for about a second, then stops and so on.

Any information anyone has would be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
get a friend to push the gas to 1500 RPM when in park and see if the knocking increases. If so, it is the belt tensioner.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On my 2005 TL AT canadian, they did a valv ajustment that fixed this issue. Sometimes it almost sounded like a diesel engine from outside

It could be the heat shield, and belt tensionner as mentionned.

I have a knocking sound un slight acceleration , with gear engaged, and Acura wasn't able to fix it.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Intermediate

Hey quick.. i have the same problem. when the car is in park and idle it makes this sort of grinding sound.. it comes from the passenger front tire area.. i took it to the dealer today and they told me my front and side motor mounts were broken so they replaced them today.. the sound is still there but its really subtle.. I will bring it back to them and have them look at it again.. take is easy.. later
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
4th Gear

I had the same issue and took it to the dealer last Friday. The mechanic listened to the engine and determined on the spot that it has to be the belt tensioner. I left the car with them and got it back last night. Needless to say that when I pulled into my driveway tonight, after driving maybe 50 miles, the noise is still there and louder than ever. Here is what they replaced: Timing Belt (N/C), Tensioner (N/C), Adjuster (N/C), and Auto Adjuster (N/C). I’m no expert but I would think it cost Acura a pretty penny to do all this and the problem is still alive and well. I guess I will take it back tomorrow or after this weekend, should I try another dealer so a new set of ears can listen to it? These guys were convinced they solved the problem but I still hear it. Could this perhaps damage my engine as I do have some 500 miles of driving ahead of me this weekend?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:31 PM
4th Gear

One more question on this topic… Could this be somehow weather/temperature related? I live in CT and it has been around 30 degrees around here in the past few days. But then again, I hear the sound mostly when my engine is all warmed up. Not sure if there is any kind of correlation between the weather and the sound of my engine, since I have never heard it before. Any comments are welcome!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL_TK
One more question on this topic… Could this be somehow weather/temperature related? I live in CT and it has been around 30 degrees around here in the past few days. But then again, I hear the sound mostly when my engine is all warmed up. Not sure if there is any kind of correlation between the weather and the sound of my engine, since I have never heard it before. Any comments are welcome!
Nope... I live in NV and have that same issue!!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Intermediate

engine knocking

Thanks for the comments guys, but I don't think it is weather related as I only hear it when it's warm even though the outside temperature here has been cold. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but it sounds to me like a timing problem or issue.
Almost like when you inadvertently cross plug wires and get the timing messed up you hear it knocking...... Only difference is the noise is not as loud and the engine runs smooth. I'm with you and wonder if it is doing any damage...
Old 02-01-2007, 10:18 AM
4th Gear

Just got back from the dealer, they were pretty surprised to see me there again. Everyone admitted that the noise is still there and pretty loud as well. They are going to order another tensioner for me (I guess there are two and they only changed one) and advised me that as long as I don't do excessive speeds, I should be fine driving even long distances. I will update you once the work gets done early next week.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:40 AM
10th Gear

I have an '05 TL 6MT with about the same mileage, and it is exhibiting noise described by you (passenger side of engine compartment, variable knocking).

I am about to take the car to a dealer, but I am curious whether replacement of second tensioner resolved the problem in your car.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
THe belt tensioner was replaced on my TL in late 06, and the noise was not present when I left. As soon as i got home, the nosie appeared once more. I think that it is tensioner cauing the noise, but some other engine componet that causes the tensioner to go bad. Can those members with this knocking noise chec k if their belts move slightly 2mm to each side on the pullies to the sides at all or is it perfectly straight.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
10th Gear

TK_TL commented, that according to dealer's mechanic, there are *two* tensioners in the TL engine; did you have both replaced or just one?

I do not have service manual, so I cannot comment on validity of mechanic's statement, but I would have to assume he knows the engine layout.

Perhaps TK_TL would be able to update us on that issue when his car is repaired.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Had the belt tensioner replaced and picked up the car on Wednesday Feb 7. So far so good. It is quiet now, and have driven the car Wednesday, yesterday and today. Also noticed on the work order that not only did they replace the belt tensioner, they also replaced the timing belt for some reason ????? Work order states the following parts were replaced. 1 - tensioner comp.
2 - adj comp, timing
3 - timing belt idle
4 - belt, timing
All 4 items listed have a part number associated with them.

When I first took the car in, they listened to it with a stethoscope to find out exactly where the noise was coming from. At that time they told me until they could hear where the noise was originating from, but until they get "in there" they wouldn't be able to see exactly what the problem was.

As I can say is it is quiet now, and hopefully it will stay that way. Will keep you posted.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by quicksilver1
Had the belt tensioner replaced and picked up the car on Wednesday Feb 7. So far so good. It is quiet now, and have driven the car Wednesday, yesterday and today. Also noticed on the work order that not only did they replace the belt tensioner, they also replaced the timing belt for some reason ????? Work order states the following parts were replaced. 1 - tensioner comp.
2 - adj comp, timing
3 - timing belt idle
4 - belt, timing

When I first took the car in, they listened to it with a stethoscope to find out exactly where the noise was coming from. At that time they told me until they could hear where the noise was originating from, but until they get "in there" they wouldn't be able to see exactly what the problem was.

As I can say is it is quiet now, and hopefully it will stay that way. Will keep you posted.
Well it seems they replaced the timing belt tensioner, not the accessory drive tensioner. Being that it was the timing belt tensioner they replaced its safer to replace the timing belt at the same time due to its location and difficulty of getting to. Plus if the tensioner was bad it is entirely possible it was causing some damage to the timing belt, in which case its better to replace than risk.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:18 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by quicksilver1
2 - adj comp, timing
3 - timing belt idle
4 - belt, timing

Sounds like the same work I had done on my car few days ago. However, it did not completely get rid of the noise on my car. It may be a bit more subtle, yet you would still able to pick it up quickly if you know what to listen for.

Just to update everyone on the progress, my car is going back to the shop on Wednesday, February 14th as they are scheduled to receive my additional parts the day before. I will be able to give you more details once I have the detailed description of the work done on the car. I sure hope this time it helps and eliminates the sound coming from the engine.

I will sure post the details once I get my car back.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
quicksilver1 what gta dealer do you go to? Im kinda getting annoyed with the service advisor at sterne in aurora and it seems like where you went they were pretty decent. Thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Douglar - I actually took the car into Erin Mills Acura in Mississauga. I have never been crazy about their service as I quite often have to remind them to wash the car after a service on it. This time, though, took it there and they were pretty good. Like I say, mechanic listened to it with a stethoscope and so far, no noise, no problem. They even washed it when I picked it up.
Service guy I dealt with was Ron and sometimes he can be a bit of a pain, but this time he was really good. That might be because my wife and I have had our differences with him in the past, but he was very accomodating and professional this time.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I find it kind of sad that when i had my 10 yr old honda accord, the level of service at my local honda dealer was unbeleivably good. When i walked in they always knew my name, always washed the car, always offered shuttle services etc etc....

now i go and buy a brand new acura and take it in for some diagnosis and they just look at me confused as to why im there and who i am, I swear its like pulling teeth with these guys. and it really pisses me off that they never ask do you need us to send the shuttle or do you have a ride? I think thats one of the most basic things they should be doing.

I know my friends mom has a merc c230 and when she books it in for service the dealer sends a porter out to her work picks up the car, takes it back services it then brings it back to her at work. WTF why can't we get service like that? To me its experiances like that, that make me want to buy a car from a particular dealer.