Justnspace vs J32/J37

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
well, power-weight on the TL is .074 in stock form for the 3.2L

that little 4 cylinder is 500lbs less than the TL, and at 201HP for the turbocharged 4 it's power-weight is .067

at least it didn't look like this with the little hyundai coming from behind

Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
well, I went out looking for a race.

and I found one.

a Hyundai Veloster.
pretty cocky considering he is a 4 turbo.

except, I was the one surprised.

Multiple pulls with the same outcome.
He was always a fender behind me.

If he was modded; More power to him. :applause:

if not; I lost power.

but that's the name of the game.
I always knew this platform isnt the best to start off with.

and with my friend breaking the engine; all I wanted to do is fix the engine.
I aint worried about being the fastest TL out there any more.

I just want to fix the issues and have a long living TL.
You should ask him what he has done, if anything. Stock they are pretty much turds, running 15s @ 90ish. A DRIVER might crack mid 14s @ 94 with a good -DA, but that's not the norm.

Don't you have a Hondata? If so, why haven't you tuned it yet? You didn't do a maintenance part, and this isn't a carbed engine you can change the jets on and twist the distributor for added power. You essentially changed the entire VE of the engine - a retune is necessary for optimal performance.

Until you tune it, you don't know if you are running too rich, too lean, too much advance and having knock, or too little timing and leaving power on the table. What cams did you go with? Type-S? They are designed for a 3.5L so you may have shifted your peak power up ever so slightly, especially with the increased flow from the 3.7 heads. I don't think injectors are going to be your issue, but what about the intake manifold? Do you already have the 3.7IM? If not, you could just be choking the heads and not letting them do what they can do, which would backfire with the Type-S cams.

This reminds me of years ago guys would do heads, cam and intake on a 5.0 Mustang and still have stock exhaust manifolds. They then wondered why they were peaking power at 4300 rpms and only making 190whp. Slap a set of long tubes on it and bam - 300+ whp.

I'll beat this dead horse again - while it's great you bought a nice part you can hold in your hands, it is JUST as important, if not MORESO to have the part you cannot hold in your hand - the tuning. smh
The following 5 users liked this post by screaminz28:
1black_seven (10-13-2014), Chisel (10-12-2014), simione (10-12-2014), Sonnick (10-12-2014), yungone501 (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 11:27 AM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by screaminz28
Don't you have a Hondata? If so, why haven't you tuned it yet? You didn't do a maintenance part, and this isn't a carbed engine you can change the jets on and twist the distributor for added power. You essentially changed the entire VE of the engine - a retune is necessary for optimal performance.

Until you tune it, you don't know if you are running too rich, too lean, too much advance and having knock, or too little timing and leaving power on the table. What cams did you go with? Type-S? They are designed for a 3.5L so you may have shifted your peak power up ever so slightly, especially with the increased flow from the 3.7 heads. I don't think injectors are going to be your issue, but what about the intake manifold? Do you already have the 3.7IM? If not, you could just be choking the heads and not letting them do what they can do, which would backfire with the Type-S cams.
I must say, its good to see someone making sense around here. I couldn't agree more.

As for tuning, I wasn't aware that Justin has installed the j35a8 ECM and is running Hondata!? Geez, there could be so much more to pull from this engine if its tuned right. But I reallllllly don't remember him having Hondata...

As for the cams, they surprisingly have the same lift specs as does the MDX 3.7 cams and considering the different applications I'm quite certain their duration profiles are different. The MDX cams will definitely have more torque down low whereas the Type S cams will be more spirited up top. And as Screaminz28, the Type S cams will act a little different with the 3.7 heads that what they would with the 3.5 heads and when the car is put on a dyno, these differences can be corrected/optimized by the tuner.

Lastly, the injectors will actually have MUCH to do with this setup because their spray pattern isn't supportive of the tumble port. The MDX injectors will actually have a flatter spray pattern to compliment the port design and this will obviously increase power by improving mixture burn completion as well as ensuring the fuel is evenly mixed with the air.

I don't think many people look at an engine the way it's actually works. It's all about matching and complimenting one part to the next. And the parts chosen should be matched with the purpose or intent with the engine....and countless other factors that are important as well.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The Veloster also has it's peak torque super low in the rpm band due to the turbo. My wife has the 2.0T Sonata and according to dyno sheets on the stock car, it hits it's peak torque at like 1500rpm and stays steady for much of the power band. I believe the Veloster is a detuned version of that engine/turbo setup.

And sadly, the stock slushbox transmission 2.0T Sonata blows my slightly modded 6MT TL out of the water. The wife left the Sonata in "Eco" mode and she would beat me by a full car length. I'd hate to see what would happen if she took it off "Eco" mode.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by yungone501
I must say, its good to see someone making sense around here. I couldn't agree more.

As for tuning, I wasn't aware that Justin has installed the j35a8 ECM and is running Hondata!? Geez, there could be so much more to pull from this engine if its tuned right. But I reallllllly don't remember him having Hondata...

As for the cams, they surprisingly have the same lift specs as does the MDX 3.7 cams and considering the different applications I'm quite certain their duration profiles are different. The MDX cams will definitely have more torque down low whereas the Type S cams will be more spirited up top. And as Screaminz28, the Type S cams will act a little different with the 3.7 heads that what they would with the 3.5 heads and when the car is put on a dyno, these differences can be corrected/optimized by the tuner.

Lastly, the injectors will actually have MUCH to do with this setup because their spray pattern isn't supportive of the tumble port. The MDX injectors will actually have a flatter spray pattern to compliment the port design and this will obviously increase power by improving mixture burn completion as well as ensuring the fuel is evenly mixed with the air.

I don't think many people look at an engine the way it's actually works. It's all about matching and complimenting one part to the next. And the parts chosen should be matched with the purpose or intent with the engine....and countless other factors that are important as well.
So what you're saying is it'd be better to just swap the 3.7L in altogether and fabricate the exhaust system to work with it, yes? I wonder how realistic, or better yet, how difficult it would be to make the entire 3.7L setup work in the 3G...
Old 10-12-2014, 01:49 PM
J-series addict

Originally Posted by TacoBello
So what you're saying is it'd be better to just swap the 3.7L in altogether and fabricate the exhaust system to work with it, yes? I wonder how realistic, or better yet, how difficult it would be to make the entire 3.7L setup work in the 3G...
No, but that wouldn't be impossible to do either.

What I'm a saying is that if you swap over anything from another engine, especially one of smaller or larger displacement, to make sure you complete the swap by using all parts that compliment that part and ensure it nets a gain in the first place. Everyone doing these 3.7 manifold/TB swaps on their 3.2 and 3.5 engines don't realize the full extent of what they're doing. Adding more volume in one place doesn't automatically make gains or even worthwhile gains.

and yes, the 3.7 swap is easily done on the 07-08 3.2 and 3.5 TL's of which it can actually bolt up to the transmission.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:29 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
The Veloster also has it's peak torque super low in the rpm band due to the turbo. My wife has the 2.0T Sonata and according to dyno sheets on the stock car, it hits it's peak torque at like 1500rpm and stays steady for much of the power band. I believe the Veloster is a detuned version of that engine/turbo setup.

And sadly, the stock slushbox transmission 2.0T Sonata blows my slightly modded 6MT TL out of the water. The wife left the Sonata in "Eco" mode and she would beat me by a full car length. I'd hate to see what would happen if she took it off "Eco" mode.
What? That shouldn't happen, but I guess it's possible considering the Sonata is pretty quick.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sonnick
What? That shouldn't happen, but I guess it's possible considering the Sonata is pretty quick.
That's what I thought. Until you consider the Sonata is pushing 270 lbft of torque at 1500 rpm. That, and slightly more hp right out the box (274hp, I believe).

But on the other hand, the Sonata sucks big time to drive. The car feels anemic and the suspension sucks even more. It's just god awful. I know the suspension can be improved, but let's be honest- I'm not putting parts on a Sonata, lol.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Team Owner

No, but that wouldn't be impossible to do either.

What I'm a saying is that if you swap over anything from another engine, especially one of smaller or larger displacement, to make sure you complete the swap by using all parts that compliment that part and ensure it nets a gain in the first place. Everyone doing these 3.7 manifold/TB swaps on their 3.2 and 3.5 engines don't realize the full extent of what they're doing. Adding more volume in one place doesn't automatically make gains or even worthwhile gains.

and yes, the 3.7 swap is easily done on the 07-08 3.2 and 3.5 TL's of which it can actually bolt up to the transmission.
Aw, so 3.7 swap into an '06? :ghey:

Or would I have to find a 3.7 and 6MT package?

Rather than replace half the engine for modest gains, I honestly would consider just doing the 3.7 swap and be done with it. I'm assuming this hasn't really been done yet and I don't have the capability to be the first. If it was fairly easy, I'd seriously be interested.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:55 PM
J-series addict

Aw, so 3.7 swap into an '06? :ghey:

Or would I have to find a 3.7 and 6MT package?

Rather than replace half the engine for modest gains, I honestly would consider just doing the 3.7 swap and be done with it. I'm assuming this hasn't really been done yet and I don't have the capability to be the first. If it was fairly easy, I'd seriously be interested.
Correct, the 06 and older TL's have a bell housing bolt pattern that is like that of the j32a2. The j37a1, j37a2 and the j37a4 all have the newer bell housing design that the began with the 2005 (and later) RL and also the 2007 (and later) TL 3.2 and 3.5. And as you said, the only way you would be able to run a 3.7 block in your car is by swapping in the complete engine and transmission. The only way you would be able to use your existing harness and ECM is if you swap in the 6MT as the automatic transmission is a completely different design and cannot work with the ECM. In addition to this, you will need to use an 05+ RL or 07+ TL oil pan if you plan on using the 10+ j37a1, j37a2 or j37a4. However, the 07-09 MDX j37a1 utilizes the traditional oil pump mounted crank sensor and is compatible with your existing harness and ECM.

Lastly, I don't believe anyone has performed a complete j37a1 head swap yet with all other supporting components such as runners, injectors, intake, throttle body and then the ability to tune for maximizing full power potential from the setup. Acura has reported that 20hp was gained from the 0.2 liter displacement increase (this includes the increase in compression as well) out of the 47hp total gained between the 2006 MDX 3.5 and the 2007 MDX 3.7. That leaves 27hp coming from the updated heads, cams, intake, and other smaller misc parts that were updated between the two year models...mind you, this was assuming all on a conservative factory tune. It could be more if the tune was more aggressive and performance oriented.

These gains could be even more if additional bolt ons were installed with the j37a1 "package" such as PCD's, full oversized exhaust, CAI, thermal isolators, etc.........just sayin'.

PS- This post is assuming the j37a1 components will be added to a 3.5 (ideally) displacement or less.

Last edited by yungone501; 10-12-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Clarity on the matter...
Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
I can see it. The turbo sonata aint no slouch. They run 100+ in the quarter, and you don't have to know how to drive, just mash the gas and go.

I can't find the turbo specs on the Sonata or Veloster, but the Veloster is a 1.6L and it is torquey as well, so I'd expect it to have a smaller turbo than the sonata. I think the fastest Veloster is running around 101 with over 300 WHP. Kinda meh really.

Something waaay too American about tiny turbos and giving people that big block feel. It fools people into thinking their car is faster than it really is. I think it is because 30 years ago, heck even 15, American car makers could barely make an engine that was reliable turning over 4500rpms...
Old 10-13-2014, 12:59 AM
Team Owner

Correct, the 06 and older TL's have a bell housing bolt pattern that is like that of the j32a2. The j37a1, j37a2 and the j37a4 all have the newer bell housing design that the began with the 2005 (and later) RL and also the 2007 (and later) TL 3.2 and 3.5. And as you said, the only way you would be able to run a 3.7 block in your car is by swapping in the complete engine and transmission. The only way you would be able to use your existing harness and ECM is if you swap in the 6MT as the automatic transmission is a completely different design and cannot work with the ECM. In addition to this, you will need to use an 05+ RL or 07+ TL oil pan if you plan on using the 10+ j37a1, j37a2 or j37a4. However, the 07-09 MDX j37a1 utilizes the traditional oil pump mounted crank sensor and is compatible with your existing harness and ECM.

Lastly, I don't believe anyone has performed a complete j37a1 head swap yet with all other supporting components such as runners, injectors, intake, throttle body and then the ability to tune for maximizing full power potential from the setup. Acura has reported that 20hp was gained from the 0.2 liter displacement increase (this includes the increase in compression as well) out of the 47hp total gained between the 2006 MDX 3.5 and the 2007 MDX 3.7. That leaves 27hp coming from the updated heads, cams, intake, and other smaller misc parts that were updated between the two year models...mind you, this was assuming all on a conservative factory tune. It could be more if the tune was more aggressive and performance oriented.

These gains could be even more if additional bolt ons were installed with the j37a1 "package" such as PCD's, full oversized exhaust, CAI, thermal isolators, etc.........just sayin'.

PS- This post is assuming the j37a1 components will be added to a 3.5 (ideally) displacement or less.
Wait a minute- why would the oil pan have to be switched out if using the entire 3.7+6MT combo? I have no interest in the automatic setup anyway- 6MT is the only way for me, lol. It'd be awesome to take the whole package out of a 4G TL (non AWD, of course) and make it work in the 3G.

I figured if you can make the swap fit (custom mounts, I suppose?), then all that's left is to figure out the ECM and wiring (no easy task, I'm sure), unless it's possible to take those from the 4G as well and make them work.

Guys are able to take a J series and slap it in their civics, for which the two original cars have zero things in common. I'd imagine it'd be a little easier going from 4G to 3G, no?
The following users liked this post:
Funmonkey (06-15-2017)
Old 10-13-2014, 01:56 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
well, I went out looking for a race.

and I found one.

a Hyundai Veloster.
pretty cocky considering he is a 4 turbo.

except, I was the one surprised.

Multiple pulls with the same outcome.
He was always a fender behind me.

If he was modded; More power to him. :applause:

if not; I lost power.

but that's the name of the game.
I always knew this platform isnt the best to start off with.

and with my friend breaking the engine; all I wanted to do is fix the engine.
I aint worried about being the fastest TL out there any more.

I just want to fix the issues and have a long living TL.
Bruh.. veloster turbo with out-of-box tune are running mid 2's in power and torque at the wheels. Bigger downpipe and retune.. probably running closer to 3. They're pretty quick for what they are, and like diarrheO said, full torque at the bottom of the range.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:02 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Bruh.. veloster turbo with out-of-box tune are running mid 2's in power and torque at the wheels. Bigger downpipe and retune.. probably running closer to 3. They're pretty quick for what they are, and like diarrheO said, full torque at the bottom of the range.

now would be an opportune time to explain the race, huh?

well, like I said; I was looking for a race.
cant do that in the suburbs.
so, I trekked out to Mexico.

with the open lanes of mexico, i could stretch my legs a bit. quick 60-90 pulls and back down again.

this caught the attention of the Veloster and came up behind me.
I switched to the right lane and slowed down and as soon as he was at my driver's door I mashed the go fast pedal.

as I mentioned, he hung with me as I banged out 2 or three gears into triple digit speeds.

we would repeat these pulls and results several more times with the TL always coming out on top but the Veloster right behind it.

he signalled to take the upcoming exit and I honked and flashed a thumbs up as I passed. he held out his thumb
Old 10-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
That's what I thought. Until you consider the Sonata is pushing 270 lbft of torque at 1500 rpm. That, and slightly more hp right out the box (274hp, I believe).

But on the other hand, the Sonata sucks big time to drive. The car feels anemic and the suspension sucks even more. It's just god awful. I know the suspension can be improved, but let's be honest- I'm not putting parts on a Sonata, lol.
Something must be up with your TL. My old boss has a 2.0T and while its not a turd he definitely *que MC Hammer catchline*
Old 10-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Wait a minute- why would the oil pan have to be switched out if using the entire 3.7+6MT combo? I have no interest in the automatic setup anyway- 6MT is the only way for me, lol. It'd be awesome to take the whole package out of a 4G TL (non AWD, of course) and make it work in the 3G.
aren't all the 4G TL 6MT AWD? if so, you would need to acquire an '07-'08 type s trans
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
So, he was faster than you expected but still won?
Worst storyteller ever.

Andy Gerzand's daily is now a veloster that he's making fast along with trying to hit 1000 hp on his TL.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:06 AM
J-series addict

I figured if you can make the swap fit (custom mounts, I suppose?), then all that's left is to figure out the ECM and wiring (no easy task, I'm sure), unless it's possible to take those from the 4G as well and make them work.

Guys are able to take a J series and slap it in their civics, for which the two original cars have zero things in common. I'd imagine it'd be a little easier going from 4G to 3G, no?
Cause if you use their oil pans, you will have a large hole in the pan where the crank sensor mounts.
TacoBello (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 AM

now would be an opportune time to explain the race, huh?

well, like I said; I was looking for a race.
cant do that in the suburbs.
so, I trekked out to Mexico.

with the open lanes of mexico, i could stretch my legs a bit. quick 60-90 pulls and back down again.

this caught the attention of the Veloster and came up behind me.
I switched to the right lane and slowed down and as soon as he was at my driver's door I mashed the go fast pedal.

as I mentioned, he hung with me as I banged out 2 or three gears into triple digit speeds.

we would repeat these pulls and results several more times with the TL always coming out on top but the Veloster right behind it.

he signalled to take the upcoming exit and I honked and flashed a thumbs up as I passed. he held out his thumb
He stayed with you up top.. shiett.. he was definitely modded.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 AM

a hole in the pan is bad?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
So, he was faster than you expected but still won?
Worst storyteller ever.

Andy Gerzand's daily is now a veloster that he's making fast along with trying to hit 1000 hp on his TL.
I love my velociraptor! Homegrown 3.5" intake and 3" downpipe and a Stage 0tune (no boost increase, just timing) yields fantastic gains for what it is
Old 10-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by gerzand
I love my velociraptor! Homegrown 3.5" intake and 3" downpipe and a Stage 0tune (no boost increase, just timing) yields fantastic gains for what it is
Old 10-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1black_seven
Something must be up with your TL. My old boss has a 2.0T and while its not a turd he definitely *que MC Hammer catchline*
I assure you there is nothing wrong with my TL, at least not that I can tell. We did those pulls soon after I had my car overhauled, top to bottom (besides a couple things, but none of which should hamper straight line acceleration). The only limiting factor on the TL I can think of is maybe the Nitto Invo tires I had getting close to their service life, however, the Sonata is rolling on the crappy all-season factory Kumhos, or whatever the hell they are, so I can't imagine they were any better grip wise.

The Sonata puts down more power, faster, then the TL does and both cars weigh pretty much the same.

I wonder if altitude plays a role on the turbo numbers with where I live and where you live?
Old 10-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rockstar143
a hole in the pan is bad?
I thought it was a form of weight reduction
Old 10-13-2014, 12:57 PM

In related news.. Justn was arrested in Mexico for illegally smuggling crabs.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
In related news.. Justn was arrested in Mexico for illegally smuggling crabs.
Smuggling crabs in, or out of Mexico? I hear the market isn't as good these days down there
Old 10-13-2014, 05:30 PM

Smuggling in.. he was deported back unfortunately. They seized his car, but upon hearing that he lost to a veloster, returned it back to Senor Crabs.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:42 PM

Old 10-23-2014, 05:28 PM

Co-workers complained that suspension was too stiff.
While adjusting; saw one of the rear precat bolts was missing and the source of the tiny exhaust leak!

adjusted front two clicks soft.
adjusted rears two clicks soft.

we'll see if they complain tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:29 PM

Old 10-23-2014, 06:43 PM

I need to re-adjust valves.

They are loud.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
Hey justin did u ever dyno or plan to?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Dude.. you're a broken record. Enough.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Lol justn. Your car, man. It's always somethin'.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Hey justin did u ever dyno or plan to?

lol hey there broken record. broken record, broken record.

it aint gonna dyno itself.

sure, I intend to dyno. however; its not going to happen over night.

I will need to fix my ongoing itty bitty issues before I can head to the dyno.

its also not a daily driver.
it sits in the garage a week at a time.

so, broken record....you're just going to have to wait until I am ready.
could be tomorrow, could be a year from now.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
Lol justn. Your car, man. It's always somethin'.
if you ain't fixin' something'

you ain't 'bout that 'Mod' Life!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:49 AM

Do you recall which feelers you used for your adjustment?

I used NFN's suggestion of going tight tolerance on the intake side and loose on exhaust and my car has never been quieter.

Almost positive I used .008 on intake and .013 on exhaust.
justnspace (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 07:56 AM

^i took out the three feeler gauges in that range.
and ended up using the .013 on exhaust and .008 on intake per your suggestion, via nfn's suggestion.

I did it three times!
first time, i had got them all correct, but when torquing to correct value, they moved.

re-did it.

then checked one last time.

All the valves had a slight drag when inserting the feeler.

with a few heat cycles, they could have gotten tight tho.
rockstar143 (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 08:03 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
My valves are pretty loud lol. Justin, how does the car feel after the missing bolt was replaced? < -- UGH.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:13 AM

Yeah, I really thought I was losing my mind when I did the adjustment...like, you get almost all the way done and then keep thinking, okay but based on how this one feels, is number 11 and 4 too tight?!?! then you go check those and end up with too much gap...then the angle of the feeler creating false drag...
GAH.

Quick Reply: Justnspace vs J32/J37