Just bought a '04 TL and has idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought a '04 TL and has idle issues

Hi everyone,

I just joined the 3g tl world with a 04 tl base navi with 55k miles automatic. I am having some issues with the car.

I use to have a large amount of vibration and rough idling on cold start every morning. I took it back to the dealer and they changed the mounts. They say i will feel vibration on all cars.

Now its better but i still get a bit of vibration and a rough idle on cold start where it fells like its choking a bit. I gets better as the car warms up but you still feel vibration from the steering wheel.

I just changed the air filter and also the OEM NGK spark plugs, its better but not by much.
Anyone can help me out with this issue?
Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car felt like that as well when I bought it and a fuel system cleaning solved the vibration issue for me...also, I read somewhere on here and everyone, correct me if im wrong, but because the car heats up rather quickly to save you gas, when its cold it vibrates from some sort of system. (?)
Old 02-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by cmoy1122
Hi everyone,

I just joined the 3g tl world with a 04 tl base navi with 55k miles automatic. I am having some issues with the car.

I use to have a large amount of vibration and rough idling on cold start every morning. I took it back to the dealer and they changed the mounts. They say i will feel vibration on all cars.

Now its better but i still get a bit of vibration and a rough idle on cold start where it fells like its choking a bit. I gets better as the car warms up but you still feel vibration from the steering wheel.

I just changed the air filter and also the OEM NGK spark plugs, its better but not by much.
Thanks
Welcome to the board bro. Post pictures soon. BTW... There is no "base" model TL in 04-06. In fact, if you want to really be correct the TL w/navi was top of the line for 04 . If you have any questions feel free to PM me or any of us. Enjoy!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by peters_sweet_CL
My car felt like that as well when I bought it and a fuel system cleaning solved the vibration issue for me...also, I read somewhere on here and everyone, correct me if im wrong, but because the car heats up rather quickly to save you gas, when its cold it vibrates from some sort of system. (?)
Saves emissions not gas. the Cat converter heats up fast.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahhh ok thats what it is...thanks...because my mom says the same thing when shes starts it in the morning so i had to explain it to her haha
Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
As far as I know it runs rich as hell on a cold start. I love when I start mine cold with the PCD's and catback. Sounds all muscle-like for a 6 cylinder and it's loud as shit for about 15 seconds or so.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Cruisin'

I read that with this car is normal but smooths out when its warm, I still feel a bit of a rough idle after driving around and assume it might be a different issue. I will try some emissions or fuel system cleaner.

Any other suggestions on what i should change or do for maintenance?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:04 PM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
A lot of people use seafoam, to clean out the intake and fuel systems

Check the 3G garage for a diy guide
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,429 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks
The car naturally idles a bit rough for the first few minutes on cold starts due to the ULEV Emissions ratings on the TL. Basically the car will run rich and "misfire" (thus causing that vibration) to help the car heat up faster and as well to help the catalysts heat up faster to help lower emissions. It doesn't hurt the car at all, but can be a bit odd for folks new to the TL. The best thing to do is let it idle for a minute or so and wait till the rev's drop down to around 700.

I read that with this car is normal but smooths out when its warm, I still feel a bit of a rough idle after driving around and assume it might be a different issue. I will try some emissions or fuel system cleaner.

Any other suggestions on what i should change or do for maintenance?
Are you running premium fuel in the car? I would suggest you try running some fuel cleaner through the system to try and see if it helps. A lot of members here like to use Sea-Foam. I've used it and felt a difference but the process can be a bit unnerving to do it with the "sip-sip" method.

On the other hand a BMW tech. recommended Redline SI-1 Fuel cleaner instead, it doesn't have harmful chemicals like some of the other fuel cleaners on the market and works on the whole fuel system and injection system, plus helps to clean out carbon buildup. I use it on my 7 every few thousand miles to keep it happy as the ethanol in the fuel really messes with it.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

Yes i am running premium fuel only, its about my 5th full tank since i got it in Dec. I will try something like that, I know people who used the Justice Brothers cleaner is that any better? Also i expected the car getting better gas mileage but from what i read its not the case with mixed city and highway.
I get about an average of 15mpg from the MID and when my empty light comes on it fills max 13gallons. How much is the tank suppose to have? 17gallon? 4 gallon reserve does that sound right?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Yes i am running premium fuel only, its about my 5th full tank since i got it in Dec. I will try something like that, I know people who used the Justice Brothers cleaner is that any better? Also i expected the car getting better gas mileage but from what i read its not the case with mixed city and highway.
I get about an average of 15mpg from the MID and when my empty light comes on it fills max 13gallons. How much is the tank suppose to have? 17gallon? 4 gallon reserve does that sound right?

Thanks
Yes, it's a 17 gallon tank and yes on the reserve.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Seafoam and Lucas are the best two in my opinion. Also did the person before ya use premium gas? If not that might be one issue.