Issues with my '08 Type S 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues with my '08 Type S 6MT

I am new to this forum and recently purchased an '08 Type S about 2 weeks ago and the 2nd day I took it out on the road, I had a couple of issues. The two issues were that the car pulls to the left and there is a nice rattle. I spoke to the dealer about the alignment and I was told to bring it in after 2000 miles so the suspension has time to break in. I didn't think it would take this long for that to happen so I am now driving a car that pulls slightly left.

The rattle that I have going is in the dash panel right where the VSA and Adjust Mirror buttons are located. When I push hard on the panel, it stops. It feels as if the panel isn't on tight enough. Anyway, I am just wondering if our fellow members here have these kind of issues. Thank you for reading.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well i have 5k 07 tls..there was a rattle whenever i braked but that seems to be gone now, but my car definitely didn't pull left or right.
and for the rattles in the interior....you'll find a few more here and there..but if you look through the forum you can find threads to fix it.
hope that helped!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:20 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go back and get the rattle fixed.. and have the wheels balanced along with an alignment..
Old 12-27-2007, 01:01 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I don't think you should have to wait 2K mi. to get your wheels aligned...or for any problem with your car for that matter, as long as you are under warranty. If you wait that long for the "suspension to break in" which I honestly believe the stealership is feeding you a line, then ask them to also replace the tire(s) which will have unevenly worn for 2K mi., as well.

You just paid a lot of money to purchase your car, and it's a great one at that! You deserve and should get the equivalent in service.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Might take a couple weeks for the suspension to "settle" but I seriously doubt your pull will go away.

If the rattle is the left side vent, I think there is a TSB or Tech Line Article for it. If that's what it is, it should be easy to fix and is a warranty item.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:24 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by 08TYPE_S
I am new to this forum and recently purchased an '08 Type S about 2 weeks ago and the 2nd day I took it out on the road, I had a couple of issues. The two issues were that the car pulls to the left and there is a nice rattle. I spoke to the dealer about the alignment and I was told to bring it in after 2000 miles so the suspension has time to break in. I didn't think it would take this long for that to happen so I am now driving a car that pulls slightly left.
Welcome to AZ.

No, you shouldn't wait for 2K miles-- bring the car back and have it written up and fixed NOW. A car should not pull left or right in normal driving, and I wouldn't accept delivery of a car that did pull. I've never heard of "breaking in" a suspension except where springs and suspension were changed.

FWIW, if your alignment is off, 2K miles can cause uneven wear on your tires.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a pull to the left (or was it right?). It would track straight when slowing, coasting, or maintaining steady speed. It would only pull when I accelerated. Anyway, it ended up being a bad tire.

The rattles come and go. Nothing major.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Racer

The rattle that I have going is in the dash panel right where the VSA and Adjust Mirror buttons are located. When I push hard on the panel, it stops. It feels as if the panel isn't on tight enough. Anyway, I am just wondering if our fellow members here have these kind of issues. Thank you for reading.
There is nothing to "break in" on suspension. I would take it back and have them adjust it right away.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Safety Car

dude go back to the dealer and dont move til it gets fixed then n there. if a piston blows through ur hood r u going to have to wait for the window to crack to bring it in'?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The first thing I would do is a proper and accurate air pressure check. That means leaving the car in a garage for at least 3 hours before checking the pressure, or if parked outside, doing the check before the sun comes up and can affect pressure on the sunny side. When I picked up my '04 TL manual, my left front tire was low by 4 pounds. This caused a slight pull to the left. After I did what I just described above, all was well. If this doesn't fix your problem, you may indeed have an alignment issue.

As for the rattle, it very possibly could be the infamous driver's side vent rattle. There is a simple 10 minute fix you can do yourself for this. I did mine a few days ago. Here is the link.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...13#post1919213
Old 12-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
The first thing I would do is a proper and accurate air pressure check. That means leaving the car in a garage for at least 3 hours before checking the pressure, or if parked outside, doing the check before the sun comes up and can affect pressure on the sunny side. When I picked up my '04 TL manual, my left front tire was low by 4 pounds. This caused a slight pull to the left. After I did what I just described above, all was well...
Good call on the tire air pressure- I forgot about that, but that should be the first thing checked and adjusted. On 3 out of my last 4 cars, dealer prep didn't get the pressures correct per the door plate/owner's manual.

If the tire pressures are correct and there is still a pull, bring the car back to the dealer.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Me too...

I'm having a few problems with my 08 TLS 6MT also. Took it to the dealership last weekend and they basically said they couldn't replicate the problems (3rd gear kicking out after it feels like it's engaged and back speaker making strange static type noise). So I figure, I've reported the problems and now if anything happens they will be responsible. Although, my fingers are crossed it happens before my warranty is up. However, I will be on their asses again at my 1st oil change about the 3rd gear issue. Of course, they acted like they'd never heard about it before (so did I). I played it dumb (girl thing) but when they come out with an "official" fix, I will show up at the dealership armed with the TSB, recall or whatever Acura issues.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Instructor

not to hijack this thread... but I bought my 06 TL in January of this year and 2 months later I got in a single car accident with the curve which cost the insurance company $8,000. Sub-frame was slightly damaged, control arms, and bunch of other suspension parts were broke. After the dealership had my car for 2 months car was still not correct and I've made numerous calls/visits to the dealership and complained about the car pulling to left but they always said that's normal with TLs..... I had my oil changed at a Honda dealership few weeks ago and the guy was like "wow man you really dog the sh*t out of your car" which I really don't... and he said that tires are worn out unevenly....

Knowing that my accident warranty is soon to expire, I've called the service manager about 5 times in past few weeks trying to get an appointment for the weekend so they take a look at it without any luck of him returning my calls...

AZers, what should I do?
Old 12-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Instructor

edit: since my dealership does not have the body shop and my front bumper was damaged, I had to take the care to VW dealership which is my dealership's sister company. VW had the car for about a month and half and they never got it right so the car was taken to my Acura dealership (Orange Park Acura) and they did make it way better, but it was still not right.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

I purchased my vehicle in November and it drives about as straight as it can be. There is no way a new car should pull in any direction except forward.

I am not sure but when I recieved my car, the dealership had a huge inspection check list they went through. One of the items was to make sure that the car drove in a straight line. Did your vehicle arrive with one of these lists? If so, take that to the dealer and state that when the Dealer performed the tests, the car drove straight.

Good luck...
Old 12-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Advanced

I was told by a very good suspension guy that you should have your new car aligned by a suspension shop as soon as you drive it off the lot. For 2 reasons:

1.most dealerships don't know squat about alignments
2 while in transport the tie downs used can put the car out of alignment. I thought my '05 TL a-spec ran pretty nice off the lot. Then I got my guy to do a 4-wheel alignment and a fine balance. Ran like it was on rails.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dahvaio
I purchased my vehicle in November and it drives about as straight as it can be. There is no way a new car should pull in any direction except forward.

I am not sure but when I recieved my car, the dealership had a huge inspection check list they went through. One of the items was to make sure that the car drove in a straight line. Did your vehicle arrive with one of these lists? If so, take that to the dealer and state that when the Dealer performed the tests, the car drove straight.

Good luck...
As for a new car driving straight from day one, in theory you're right. However, in practice, you're not so right. Witness the concerns about alignment. The pulling I experience was due to improperly inflated tires which as far as I am concerned is a non issue since I even do a proper and accurate check whenever getting new tires installed.

As for the new car check list, I would wager that many times, that is just a white wash and is, for the most part, meaningless. The dealer will just deliver the car to you and if there is anything that is wrong or needs addressing, he figures you'll bring it back anyway. That way, he makes more money.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Expymom
I'm having a few problems with my 08 TLS 6MT also. Took it to the dealership last weekend and they basically said they couldn't replicate the problems (3rd gear kicking out after it feels like it's engaged and back speaker making strange static type noise). So I figure, I've reported the problems and now if anything happens they will be responsible. Although, my fingers are crossed it happens before my warranty is up. However, I will be on their asses again at my 1st oil change about the 3rd gear issue. Of course, they acted like they'd never heard about it before (so did I). I played it dumb (girl thing) but when they come out with an "official" fix, I will show up at the dealership armed with the TSB, recall or whatever Acura issues.
The problem with the manual transmission you've described, "3rd gear kicking out after it feels like it's engaged", has been reported numerous time on this website. If you do a search, you'll find a bunch of information here. Basically, the most common fix that people have been doing is draining the factory transmission fill and refilling with the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid (part #12377916). Virtually everyone who has made this replacement reports the problem as being 100% fixed.

I have an '04 manual, and an '05 automatic, and my manual has never had any issues of any kind whatsoever. However, I did drain and refill with the GM fluid over 2 1/2 years ago as regular maintenance.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not me!
I would NEVER let any alignment shop get close to my car if the tires are wearing well and it does not have any handling problems.

In my experiance, most alignments are bogus or do harm.

I have had cars that NEVER needed an alignment for the time I had them.

I once got alignment on a car where they gave me before and after printouts, the before printouts were bad, the after showed everything great, but my new tires still wore out the inside edges quickly (the reason I took it in).
I did research and found most of the stuff they fixed was not adjustable on that car, other stuff required axle spacers they did not stock, and the front suspension bolts were still painted in place, along with the original caster shims.

I had excessive toe out in the front, which I fixed myself with a drive on toe scale.

So I paid $100.00 for a 4 wheel thrust alignment with the latest equipment and they did absolutely nothing to my car.
I was lucky they did not make things worse.

So I dont assume an alignment is a good thing.

Brett
Old 12-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by NS-TL
I was told by a very good suspension guy that you should have your new car aligned by a suspension shop as soon as you drive it off the lot. For 2 reasons:

1.most dealerships don't know squat about alignments
2 while in transport the tie downs used can put the car out of alignment. I thought my '05 TL a-spec ran pretty nice off the lot. Then I got my guy to do a 4-wheel alignment and a fine balance. Ran like it was on rails.

thats because your suspension shop isnt making any money on new cars and would like too...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
The first thing I would do is a proper and accurate air pressure check. That means leaving the car in a garage for at least 3 hours before checking the pressure, or if parked outside, doing the check before the sun comes up and can affect pressure on the sunny side. When I picked up my '04 TL manual, my left front tire was low by 4 pounds. This caused a slight pull to the left. After I did what I just described above, all was well. If this doesn't fix your problem, you may indeed have an alignment issue.

As for the rattle, it very possibly could be the infamous driver's side vent rattle. There is a simple 10 minute fix you can do yourself for this. I did mine a few days ago. Here is the link.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...13#post1919213

This is a great forum and I thank you for all your suggestions. From the sound of it, I shouldn't wait until 2000 miles to have the alignment checked. As far as the tire pressures go, they are within 1 PSI of each other (at least that's what the TPMS says) so the pressure isn't the issue. Before this TL, I had a 95 Accord for over 12 years and not once did I have to get it aligned. You can bet that my dealer will get a call from me tomorrow about the alignment.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

ninor call the insurance company they will make it all ok and force honda to fix it. they have no choice