Issues with 07 TLS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Issues with 07 TLS

So I bought my 07 TLS last summer with about 42k miles on it. I love the way the car looks, but I'm pretty disappointed in the quality of the car. I know most of the issues listed below have been brought up several times before, but I just thought for a car that costs this much, the quality would be a lot better. I had an 00 TL before this and never had any issues.

If you guys have had similar issues, please let me know how you fixed it. I think I'm going to go the dealer and see what they say.

1. Trunk rattles when stereo is turned up
2. Seat feels like it moves a little forward with a hard stop
3. Sounds like something is loose near the driver side head (sounds like a screw or something is rolling around)
4. There was liquid leaking from under the engine after driving for a long time with AC on
5. Radio always has static and is not at full signal
6. Ride is pretty rough. I'm on stock wheels and springs and I can feel every bump in the road
7. I get horrible gas mileage. Mostly local driving but I get about 11 MPG
8. Brakes were squeaking like crazy for a bit but it's much better now. I'm going to replace them with Racing Brake ET300 pads.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
For #'s 1-3, it would be best to take it to the stealer, since you're still under warranty.

#4-That's normal for any car. It's condensation.
#5-Can't really help that. Maybe the rear windshield is messed up? You can ask the stealer about this, too.
#6-Well, the only way to get softer than stock is to buy dampening adjustable shocks or coils.
#7-You might need a tune-up and seafoam treatment. Maybe a good EGR port cleaning? Oil change, engine air filter change, etc.
#8-If you get the ET300 pads, also get the RB rotors. Stock rotors go best with stock pads.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
#1 For some of the rattles, there are threads that deal with them. Do a search. I know one thread address just about every rattle imaginable for the TL.
#7 Check your tire pressure. Drive like a grandpa.
#5 Ground may be loose or off, have dealer check it.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
#1 For some of the rattles, there are threads that deal with them. Do a search. I know one thread address just about every rattle imaginable for the TL.
#7 Check your tire pressure. Drive like a grandpa.
#5 Ground may be loose or off, have dealer check it.
Thanks for the advice guys. I've actually done the trunk rattle fix with the cut up towel being stuffed into those holes in the trunk. It helped a little, but there is still rattling.

As for the 11 MPG, I actually drive very conservatively so I'm not doing the Mario Andretti thing. I think it's the fact my commute is only 2 miles and it's all stop signs and slow driving. When I do a mix of local and freeway, it gets up to around 20 sometimes.

All those other things, I'll just have to take to the dealer and see what they say. I haven't looked at my warranty info. yet, but hopefully it is all covered.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nimhet
Thanks for the advice guys. I've actually done the trunk rattle fix with the cut up towel being stuffed into those holes in the trunk. It helped a little, but there is still rattling.
The dealership has a kit that will fix this rattle. They'll do it free under warranty.

As for the 11 MPG, I actually drive very conservatively so I'm not doing the Mario Andretti thing. I think it's the fact my commute is only 2 miles and it's all stop signs and slow driving. When I do a mix of local and freeway, it gets up to around 20 sometimes.
Sounds normal. After 2 miles your engine hasn't even gone out of cold loop yet. You're still running rich. So you're basically primarily running the car in its worst possible fuel-use condition.

Your seat is a known issue with some TL's. The dealer will fix it under warranty for free.

Radio static can be caused by all sorts of things. Stuff you wouldn't even necessarily think of. Like bad spark plug wires.

The ride quality is very heavily influenced by the tires. Are yours really worn? (they're about at the point where they're likely to be, mileage-wise, if they're the originals). I just got new tires for mine. First I tried the Falken Ziex. They had a horrendous ride. My ultra-stiff MR2 rides better. Made the tire shop take 'em back. Rolling on Yokohamas now, and it's *much* better. That said, this is a *sport* sedan, and so the ride isn't going to be like a Cadillac. You will feel road bumps, but they should be muted and (hard to explain) solid-feeling.

Oh, and I second the liquid leaking explanation. Air conditioners suck moisture out of the air, which then drains to a drip pan. The drip pan drains out under the car. So when you've been driving with the AC on, the drip pan gets full, and then when you park, the whole drip pan drains under the car and looks like a leak. It's just water.

Oh, and your warranty is full coverage - they will fix anything that breaks - for 50,000 miles, and powertrain for 70,000.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
11MPG!? are you sure?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shadowkahn
The dealership has a kit that will fix this rattle. They'll do it free under warranty.

Sounds normal. After 2 miles your engine hasn't even gone out of cold loop yet. You're still running rich. So you're basically primarily running the car in its worst possible fuel-use condition.

Your seat is a known issue with some TL's. The dealer will fix it under warranty for free.

Radio static can be caused by all sorts of things. Stuff you wouldn't even necessarily think of. Like bad spark plug wires.

The ride quality is very heavily influenced by the tires. Are yours really worn? (they're about at the point where they're likely to be, mileage-wise, if they're the originals). I just got new tires for mine. First I tried the Falken Ziex. They had a horrendous ride. My ultra-stiff MR2 rides better. Made the tire shop take 'em back. Rolling on Yokohamas now, and it's *much* better. That said, this is a *sport* sedan, and so the ride isn't going to be like a Cadillac. You will feel road bumps, but they should be muted and (hard to explain) solid-feeling.

Oh, and I second the liquid leaking explanation. Air conditioners suck moisture out of the air, which then drains to a drip pan. The drip pan drains out under the car. So when you've been driving with the AC on, the drip pan gets full, and then when you park, the whole drip pan drains under the car and looks like a leak. It's just water.

Oh, and your warranty is full coverage - they will fix anything that breaks - for 50,000 miles, and powertrain for 70,000.
Thanks for all your feedback. When I bought the car, the seller had just put on some new Federal tires. I've never had these before so it might be causing the rough ride. I'm might switch to Goodyear since I've had those before and they were super comfy.

As for the liquid, your explanation was what I thought it was..so thanks for clarifying.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only problem/rattling I had is when I close the doors with the windows not completely closed. It sounds like the windows are rattling on the rails or something. I'm wondering if this is normal?