Introduction/Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Introduction/Help

I just bought an 05 TL with 127,xxx miles, and have a few questions. There may be better sections for this but I couldn't see anything specifically so I'm sorry if this is the wrong section.

1. The Navi stays on the boot up screen which I hear is a common problem and can be fixed by Alpine for 160ish if you send it in to them. Is this true?

2. I need a rear bumper and was hoping to find a Type S bumper. If anyone knows of anything please help me out. I will keep my eyes open for one on here.

3. I'm hearing a noise over lighter bumps from my front end and I'm not quite sure what it is. It kind of sounds like metal on metal (something lose)? A friend was riding in the car with me and said it sounds like a shopping cart..

1 and 2 are what I'm most concerned about at the moment. Thanks for any help and I'm looking forward to being apart of the TL community!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

Sorry I meant 1 and 3 are what I'm most concerned about.. Not sure how to edit my post either. Ha
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by TLRD
1. The Navi stays on the boot up screen which I hear is a common problem and can be fixed by Alpine for 160ish if you send it in to them. Is this true?
3. I'm hearing a noise over lighter bumps from my front end and I'm not quite sure what it is. It kind of sounds like metal on metal (something lose)? A friend was riding in the car with me and said it sounds like a shopping cart...
1- Alpine raised the price to $358 a few months ago, unfortunately.
The DVD drive in the trunk has to be removed and sent to Alpine for the repairs after obtaining prior approval, IIRC.
Check the Audio, Bluetooth & Navi subforum for more specific info (or do a search for Alpine & Torrance).
3. It might be either the intermediate shaft heat shield (there have been a couple of TSB's for it-- check the 3G TL Service Dept/Garage link at: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-service-department-aka-garage-questions-answers-check-here-first-553557/), which needs to be rotated and retightened, or lower compliance bushings. Those are common causes of noises that I've seen here.

Welcome to AZ.
The following users liked this post:
TLRD (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

I can take my car to the dealer and have them look at all the TSB's and that and tell what has been done and not done correct? And if it hasn't been done will they do them with 127k on the car already or not?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by TLRD
I can take my car to the dealer and have them look at all the TSB's and that and tell what has been done and not done correct? And if it hasn't been done will they do them with 127k on the car already or not?
IDK.
If your car is one the dealer previously serviced, or if the records are on-line, then the work can be located. Recall work is on-line, but it's up to individual dealers as to how they record non-recall work, such as work per TSBs.

Most dealers would charge you for work subject only to a TSB, but recall work is free. A few dealers may not charge for work on a TSB issue if they know you and think you'll be back, etc.

There were 2 recalls, BTW-- power steering hose+o-ring and windshield wiper motor-- which should be performed for free if not already done.
The following users liked this post:
TLRD (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

Great thanks, I'll most likely run to the dealer next week and see what I can squeeze out of em! Thanks again for the help!