Interior Touch Up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interior Touch Up Paint

Hey everyone!

So, I made a mistake and got some cheap air freshener from a gas station. It was one of those kinda liquid/gel ones that you clip into the AC/Heat vents. Well, I put two of them in before bedtime... drove to work and noticed no issues. I work in Florida and the summer time heat is pretty intense in the car. After work I came out to see that one of the air fresheners was leaking down my center console. I go to wipe off this gunk and quickly realize it was eating into my paint on a few buttons (passenger side temp control buttons). So now, I've got like three buttons that are missing like 15% of their paint. It looks even worse during night time, becuase the backlight shines through that part of the button. I was lucky in a few cases: The buttons are still completely functional and I dont think any of the crap got behind them and messed with any of the electronics, and the paint that was removed is only on the left side of the buttons and didnt go near where the text or symbol shines through. So, what I am looking for is some touch up pant that I can apply with a very small paint brush (maybe like a finger nail thingy applicator). The car is a 07 TL-S with an ebony interior (w/ navi).

If anyone has any other suggestions (I dont want to go crazy and I am not even thinking of replacing the buttons because I am sure they are not easily procured button by button), please let me know! Thanks everyone for your time and happy holidays!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Honestly, it will probably look like hell if you try to touch it up. Hunt eBay for a used HVAC panel and just replace the button assembly. It actually isn't that hard. The navi and non navi cars have the same buttons and you can just swap your bulbs to keep them red. I picked up a non-nav hvac panel for like $40 on the bay when I needed one to cut up for my install.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a pretty good idea too. I will keep that in mind. Thank you for the quick reply!