Inside panel came down.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside panel came down.....

:rocketwho
I know this has been discussed...
I just got back from Europe, which was fantastic BTW...
Noticed the ceiling falling down...
Must be the heat.
How cheap can this be...
3 double sided stickers holding it up.
I brought it in and they just used a little stronger tape. That did not hold very long.
What's the solution? Glue?
Are they addressing this?

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=847030
Old 05-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Received 1,011 Likes on 577 Posts
See this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...797#post748797

The top piece of the velcro has to be securely fastened to the metal strip. Epoxy cement is recommended. I don't remember anyone giving any particular brand.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Just fixed this over the weekend. Didn't think I was in the headliner droop club, but sure enough the center velcro had come undone.

Buy some Epoxy glue - the kind that comes in the two side-by-side tubes, where you push the plunger down to get the glue out in equal portions. I bought it at the Home Depot. Mix it on like a paper plate using a toothpick Do this preferably outside, (it smells bad to some) - else you may catch hell from your significant other - trust me on this one.

Take some sand paper and sand the metal surface where you are going to stick it. I also took the head of a bolt, nail or screwdriver and scored the area pretty good. Put a generous amount on the no longer sticky white velcro and press it into place. Do not drop it or get any glue on your hands and then be touching the interior - you will want to shoot yourself. Press into place and hold for a second. Take some masking tape to hold it into place. Let this sit for 24 hours to cure before you stick the velcro and headliner back up.

So far mine is holding nicely. They designed the headliner side smartly - it is like a clip, but for some reason the did not repeat this on the roof side - cost cutting I guess.

Good luck with your repair.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great post, TBone. A nice addition to Ron A's prior explanations. I'm still hoping I never have to do this.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:00 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Prior to "Epoxying" anything, besides scoring/roughing up the surface like Tbone mentioned, wipe both surfaces down with "Acetone". this will get rid of all contaminates that sanding etc. will not. You can buy a small quart can at Lowes/Home Depot.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Isn't that same stuff our wives take their nail poilsh off with? - he could probably use some of that...

good idea

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Prior to "Epoxying" anything, besides scoring/roughing up the surface like Tbone mentioned, wipe both surfaces down with "Acetone". this will get rid of all contaminates that sanding etc. will not. You can buy a small quart can at Lowes/Home Depot.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Administrator

I was going to fix mine but then I found out it is the perfect place for snacks, maps, stash, and lots of other stuff. And if you step hard on the pedal next to the gas one, it automatically empties itself for restocking.

I am going to fix it soon because it looks like it is drooping more than usual. Thanks for the epoxy info.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Racer

That's crazy.. These are $35,000 cars. Bring it back until they get it right. We can't just glue it together.. That is so cheap....
Old 05-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Ha, Ha, Ha - you obviously have not seen how it is currently held up there...trust me...the epoxy is 100 times stronger than what they have up there now...YOU take YOUR car back as many times as needed...that is a waste of time IMO. They are currently using double sided tape...THAT is what is so cheap.

Originally Posted by Michaelvg1
That's crazy.. These are $35,000 cars. Bring it back until they get it right. We can't just glue it together.. That is so cheap....
Old 05-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Racer

I agree with you, but I would have them glue it....
They tried to fix it for me and it already came down again, just not as bad. It's going back.
Eventually they will contact Acura for the engineers advice.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Who is the dealer in Northern NJ? - I grew up in that area.
Just curious, did not know there was an Acura dealer up there.

I agree with you, but I would have them glue it....
They tried to fix it for me and it already came down again, just not as bad. It's going back.
Eventually they will contact Acura for the engineers advice.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Racer

There are many... Open Road in Wayne, one in Denville, Montclair....
Old 05-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

This thread is worth of reading.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:42 AM
Team Anthracite Member

FYI - headliner is still holding strong - Epoxy did the trick - proper prep of the area and proper glue ensures this headache to go away. Easy fix - I recommend DIY rather than getting aggravated with dealer.

...Now if I could only glue my tires in a perfect circle shape... :toothless

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Just fixed this over the weekend. Didn't think I was in the headliner droop club, but sure enough the center velcro had come undone.

Buy some Epoxy glue - the kind that comes in the two side-by-side tubes, where you push the plunger down to get the glue out in equal portions. I bought it at the Home Depot. Mix it on like a paper plate using a toothpick Do this preferably outside, (it smells bad to some) - else you may catch hell from your significant other - trust me on this one.

Take some sand paper and sand the metal surface where you are going to stick it. I also took the head of a bolt, nail or screwdriver and scored the area pretty good. Put a generous amount on the no longer sticky white velcro and press it into place. Do not drop it or get any glue on your hands and then be touching the interior - you will want to shoot yourself. Press into place and hold for a second. Take some masking tape to hold it into place. Let this sit for 24 hours to cure before you stick the velcro and headliner back up.

So far mine is holding nicely. They designed the headliner side smartly - it is like a clip, but for some reason the did not repeat this on the roof side - cost cutting I guess.

Good luck with your repair.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:01 AM
Cruisin'

When I took my car in to the dealer last week to fix the headliner, they got on the phone with Acura and were directed to use epoxy. The epoxy had to cure overnight before reattaching the headliner. If your dealer is just using double sided tape, have them call Acura for the proper instructions.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Team Anthracite Member

LOL - They are probably reading this forum trying to figure out how to fix stuff!

Originally Posted by orange_peel
When I took my car in to the dealer last week to fix the headliner, they got on the phone with Acura and were directed to use epoxy. The epoxy had to cure overnight before reattaching the headliner. If your dealer is just using double sided tape, have them call Acura for the proper instructions.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orange_peel
Yeah, but I agree with TBone. DIY. Otherwise you've got to accept the risk your car will come back with epoxy where it shouldn't be.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear

Head liner

My 04 head liner is also hanging not very happy about that either. Its going to the dealer.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Team Anthracite Member

dude, don't risk it. DIY. trust me - it is easy as pie and never has to leave your garage.

Originally Posted by bigl
My 04 head liner is also hanging not very happy about that either. Its going to the dealer.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Did mine yesterday. Followed tbone2004's advice to a t(bone2004). Only change was instead of taping strips after glueing, I used clips. The ones I used were Boston clips, the shiny metal ones used in the office and home for holding stacks of paper together. Very little pressure, just enough to keep the velcro in place while the epoxy dried.

I used Loctite Quick Set epoxy, Part No. 81501. Around $3.00, and if I never use it for anything else it was worth it. Didn't have to wait an hour or more at the dealer and I know it was done right.

My 24 hour cure time was just up, so I went and pressed the velcro together. It's been ten minutes already and they haven't fallen off yet. Looks great.

Just one more step I added. You will know where the middle piece goes because there is a V shaped design and it goes in the middle of it, but for the end strips, I put a piece of masking tape on the top side of the metal strip on each side where the velcro strip goes, so when I had the epoxy on it was easy to locate exactly where to stick it on.

Do it yourself. Easy, cheap, convenient, and lots of self-satisfaction.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Great comments, Ron A! This thread continues to be one of the most useful on the forum.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Anyone can show the pics to us for this DIY stuff... Thanks.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Racer

For those of you who have or having this problem... It appears as if there is a fix. Went to my dealer Saturday and they are wating to hear back from Acura. They replaced the first one a few weeks ago for another TL owner. Acura sent them a better fitting headliner assembly or something. Waiting to hear when I should bring the car back in.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks Ron! Great news. Love the clip idea - lot easier than trying to get that tape in there. Mine is still snug (I even gave it a tug - didn't budge)

I am so glad it worked out.

Originally Posted by Ron A
Did mine yesterday. Followed tbone2004's advice to a t(bone2004). Only change was instead of taping strips after glueing, I used clips. The ones I used were Boston clips, the shiny metal ones used in the office and home for holding stacks of paper together. Very little pressure, just enough to keep the velcro in place while the epoxy dried.

I used Loctite Quick Set epoxy, Part No. 81501. Around $3.00, and if I never use it for anything else it was worth it. Didn't have to wait an hour or more at the dealer and I know it was done right.

My 24 hour cure time was just up, so I went and pressed the velcro together. It's been ten minutes already and they haven't fallen off yet. Looks great.

Just one more step I added. You will know where the middle piece goes because there is a V shaped design and it goes in the middle of it, but for the end strips, I put a piece of masking tape on the top side of the metal strip on each side where the velcro strip goes, so when I had the epoxy on it was easy to locate exactly where to stick it on.

Do it yourself. Easy, cheap, convenient, and lots of self-satisfaction.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Angry

For those of you who have or having this problem... It appears as if there is a fix. Went to my dealer Saturday and they are wating to hear back from Acura. They replaced the first one a few weeks ago for another TL owner. Acura sent them a better fitting headliner assembly or something. Waiting to hear when I should bring the car back in.

Sounds good. Two weeks ago my dealer told me there was no fix yet, and the headliner is going to fall down again even thought they glue it back.

Please update.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Racer

Embarrassed...
Thank You..Thank you everyone.
Sorry for not listening the first time.
I should have just done what you said. I actually have 12 minute epoxy because I build and fly RC planes. I have always been good with that kind of stuff.
After work, I went right to it. It was pretty easy. All three velcro pieces were still on the bottom piece. It's funny how they used a metal lock for the bottom and just tape for the top. Pretty stupid.
I will let it cure till morning and then press the headliner back up.
At least I know, if this does not hold, it will hold a lot longer and will be easy to fix again.
Thanks again.
Michael
Old 06-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Advanced

None yet. Knock on the simulated wood trim.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:16 AM

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!
Old 08-14-2004, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

3 trips back to the dealer...

and the liner is still falling down. Service manager has ordered a completed new roofliner. I am not sure what good that will do since it will most likely come with the same useless sticky tape clips.

I could easily fix this myself with epoxy or contact cement but I am stubbon. Besides I still need them to fix the rattling glove box. Again, again and again.

mg
Old 08-15-2004, 12:01 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by Mark Green
and the liner is still falling down. Service manager has ordered a completed new roofliner. I am not sure what good that will do since it will most likely come with the same useless sticky tape clips.

I could easily fix this myself with epoxy or contact cement but I am stubbon. Besides I still need them to fix the rattling glove box. Again, again and again.

mg
They replaced my headliner about a month ago with a new one (after 5 failed attempts fo just gluing it). I also made them keep the car an extra day and asked them to leave it out in the sun before I would pick it up (So that if it failed again they could witness it first hand). As of today, it's staying up there. One note to look out for... Seems that they used some type of brace that initially left a small mark on the dash (on the riders side). A little cleanser and some protectorant seemed to resolve but I can still see the mark. Almost looks like it's the underlying support for the dash. A little concerned and if it don't go away soon I'll be talking to them again about this. Healdiner is good though!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Acura Dealer Tech

Honda updated the sunroof crossbeams with beefier metal to reduce the noise problems and to stop the headlinder from coming down. Ive had the opportunity to compare the older unit to the revised piece. Its a noticeable difference.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Cruisin'

Talking How they fixed my sagging headliner

I had attempted the epoxying of the velcro strips to the roof of the car...it held for about 20 minutes....turns out my headliner had been sagging for so long that it now wanted to "stay" in that lower position.

Took it into Cush San Diego, they called American Honda who told them it was a known issue. They instructed the dealer to replace the whole headliner and install "sun roof frame assembly". Interestingly enough, they also requested that the dealer ship back my old headliner (rather than trash it) so they could study it.

Dealer had my car from Tuesday - Friday (had to order parts overnight)...and gave me a loaner TSX for the duration of the service.

Looking at the work order...they replaced the headliner (part # 83200-SEP-A01ZA) and the "Frame Assy." (part # 70100-SEP-A01) along with 6 "Fastener"s (70020-SDN-A01).

I've only been living with it for about 20 minutes, but it does seem finally fixed...we'll see what the dog days of summer brings.

Hope these part #'s help others who are requesting service.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:18 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

is this 04 and 05 problem?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Administrator

It was an 04 problem, but not on every car. The design was changed for 05, which is supposed to correct it. Haven't heard of any widespread 05 problems.

If you have an 04, check it out. The easiest way is to open the moonroof and inspect the edge of the headliner from outside the car. If it looks like it is separating from the metal support, take it to the dealer.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

I had the problem in my '05

Sorry, I should've mentioned that my problem with the headliner drooping down was in my '05 ... it had the design that included the 3 strips of velcro holding the headliner to the roof "solution" from the factory.

I've obviously not wanted to pry it apart since I got it fixed to see exactly what is different...but it _appears_ that there is no longer those 3 velcro anchor points holding the headliner up anymore.

But yes, it seems that '05's also had this design problem.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:28 AM
Drifting

Embarrassed...
Thank You..Thank you everyone.
Sorry for not listening the first time.
I should have just done what you said. I actually have 12 minute epoxy because I build and fly RC planes. I have always been good with that kind of stuff.
After work, I went right to it. It was pretty easy. All three velcro pieces were still on the bottom piece. It's funny how they used a metal lock for the bottom and just tape for the top. Pretty stupid.
I will let it cure till morning and then press the headliner back up.
At least I know, if this does not hold, it will hold a lot longer and will be easy to fix again.
Thanks again.
Michael
Michael...where do you fly your RC planes? I used to live in Bushkill PA years ago and there was a great local club that flew on weekends near my home. I always wanted to fly a RC plane but never had the $$ to get the equipment. This one guy had a plane that looked like a witch sitting on a broom. It was hillarious seeing a witch fly around on her broom.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Advanced

brave man to give it a tug!
Michaelvg1:
What new headliner? they are the same part as the original, the problem is the adhesive on the velcro when the sunroof is open! Only if it is held up differently would the headliner NOT sag. Hopefully you can give us an update on your old situation
I will post pics once I get this fix going! Standby gentlemen, its my turn to help!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Advanced

Unhappy 2006 also affected

Much to my surprise my 2006 TL also has a sagging headliner. I took it in once and they pushed it back up which lasted about two days.

I am taking it back to have them try again.

This post is definitely good and here is my opinion on DIY vs taking to dealer: If you don't take it back to them to fix, they will never understand the true magnitude of the problem. If it was out of warranty, I would defintiely fix it myself.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

i retaped mine with the same double sided white tape that it came with, and it didn't last.
I also tried the best epoxy i could find and that didn't last for long either. then i thought of using magnets, but the magnets i had were too weak. I'm thinking about drilling holes in the metal between the roof & headliner to bolt it in. or i could find a clip to slide over the metal and into the velcro slot on the headliner. any other options?? 2006btw
Old 07-03-2007, 02:34 AM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow epoxy didn't work either? have the dealer do it's obligatory warranty work. talk about a headache that roof has been. I know from personal experience. Our 06 er had the headliner problem as well. Dealer attempted, damn I don't even remember how many times, but it was more than 3. They did the usual replace the whole thing and reattached new hook and loops, but of course after a few hours it came down again! Finally they put some epoxy resin up there and that did the job. But now a few months down the road I noticed it started to make it's customary trip south (headliner). I went in there and noticed they only epoxied the outside hook and loops and not the most important middle one. So you know what this means, time to set aside some more time and effort to get this remedied. I am more than capable to DIY but I feel it's important to get Acura to not only fix their problems but to be notified of this everlasting problem.

Quick Reply: Inside panel came down.....