Infant Car Seat Dilemma. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infant Car Seat Dilemma. Help!

I am an expecting father of two identical twin boys!!!

I have an 04 TL WDP Auto. Having twins requires, obviously, two car seats. One behind each seat rear facing.

I have a Graco SnugRide for the little ones and have ran into a problem. I am 5'11", not the biggest guy, but need a bit of legroom and... when I put the car seat behind the driver's seat I have to move the seat forward enough so as not to force the head of the carseat up (unsafe) and I am extremely uncomfortable. There is no way possible I can drive any vehicle like that.

It looks as if the carseat needs to be mounted alot lower (not possible) or just high enough that the head of the car seat can fit just under the headrest if it's [headrest] lifted up a notch. IDUNNO?

Anyone else have this problem and hopefully a solution?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I had the same problem with mine when trying to install a seat rear facing. The solution for me was to put it on the other side. Not much of a big help since you are having twins! I totally understand about it being too uncomfortable as I'm the same height as you. Is there any way to put one in the middle and then behind the passenger seat? I doubt it but it is worth a shot.

Congrats BTW.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
How about adjusting the seatback to a more upright position? It might give enough room where you need it and still give you the legroom.
When are they due? How long do you have to figure it out?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I had 2 carseats in my backseat for a while (although only one rear-facing and the other was forward-facing). I placed the rear-facing in the center position and the forward-facing on the passenger side. Can you arrange them in the center and right instead?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no kids and have never had to deal with a car seat, however, why the rear facing seat? Maybe the forward facing would work better. Is it a safety issue? I'd like to know as I plan on having children some day...lol
Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mglax13
I have no kids and have never had to deal with a car seat, however, why the rear facing seat? Maybe the forward facing would work better. Is it a safety issue? I'd like to know as I plan on having children some day...lol
Babies must be in rear facing for a good amount of time until they are big enough.

Choice is to put one in middle and passenger or start looking for a new car. Sorry man.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I just had my first child 2 weeks ago.. well we also have the rear facing car seat.. and from what we were told that is what you should have. We were also told it needed to go in the middle of the seat for safety in case of a side impact or what not. anyhow the seat rests up against the back of BOTH driver and pass front seats. I am 6'0 and had to move the seat bottom and back up to accompany for it. I am also uncomfortable now as u have NO recline at all. Im sittin straight up now. But i love the car and my son so its worth it to stay that way..

Wish there was a way around it man but dont think there is.. im not puttin him on the pass side near the door cuz id rather him be safe in case of a side hit. Ill live.

But if you figure and alternative out let us new dads know haha (or current dads)
Old 08-20-2010, 12:28 PM
8th Gear

We are due Oct 15...but with twins they are usually a month early and our doctor won't let us go beyond 37weeks. So about mid-september is our guess.

Ive moved that seat so far forward and the seatback so far upright, just enough to allow the carseat to fit, and I'm afraid if I were ever in a collision that airbag would kill me. HaHa

I hadn't really thought of the middle and right seat positions. I live my life very symetrically...lol. So i'll give that a shot and see if the widths allow each other to fit next to each other.

And someone already answered it... but yes the seat has to be rear facing for safety. Up to one year and (soon to change) 30lbs (vs. old 20lb rule).

Thank you for all the responses. I hadn't been on here in a while cause I didn't see any early responses and thought no one had a solution. Well I'll let you all know.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gearshftr12
Have you tried your rear facing seat without a base? Not using the base saved me about three inches - I think the seat can be positioned a little more upright and still be within the "green" range. Also, I believe that these seats are available in at least three different sizes. Not being a giant, and with twins, perhaps you could use a smaller seat.
I am currently using the rear facing in the centre position, and a booster seat usually on the right side, and the third passenger is a tight fit. When I require a larger rear facing seat, it will end up on the right side, and the front passenger will get squeezed. This is what we did with the last child.
I think that no matter what you do, things will be tight, and unless you buy a limo, you'll be celebrating when you can turn those seats around.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:38 PM
10th Gear

I have 2 kids, I put one on the passenger and one on the driver side. I have the same issue with leg room and so I just do not use the base. It makes the car seat sit alot lower and allows the front seat to be in a better position. Since I don't use the base, I put the baby seat on the driver side for convenience. My 4yr old sits on the passenger side.