Impossible TL Type-S Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Missfire in all 6 cylinders

Morning all
so picked up my 2008 type s 6 spd two weeks ago .
And ironically seem to be having the exact same issues as OP
Have a buddy who brought home his scanning tool last night hooked it up and went for a long drive to try and figure this out . all is looking great , but I've got miss fires in all 6 cylinders . It's seems as if the miss fires happen at low throttle , also when the missfires were happening the knock sensor was advance the timing multiple times . It's a complete mystery Absolutely no codes present or stored anywhere . Plugs are new , car runs great other than this very annoying issue . Anyone out there that was solved this that can lend a hand , would be awesome. Cheers
Old 08-31-2018, 09:46 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Sounds like you have one bad coil. It is a truism with the J-Series engines where a single coil will generate random misfires on all six cylinders. I had a single coil fail on my J30 equipped Accord, the shop told me I needed six coils. I told them to use the old school method of misfire detection (unplug one coil at a time and your your ears to determine whether the engine slowed down or not).
Old 08-31-2018, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Sounds like you have one bad coil. It is a truism with the J-Series engines where a single coil will generate random misfires on all six cylinders. I had a single coil fail on my J30 equipped Accord, the shop told me I needed six coils. I told them to use the old school method of misfire detection (unplug one coil at a time and your your ears to determine whether the engine slowed down or not).
thanks for the reply, so here's the thing i have absolutely no codes , and am I not correct in saying a coil pack will work or not work not half work ?
I have done the old school method of unplugging them and do that check , they all seemed to stumble the engine once disconnected meaning they are all fictional correct ?
Old 08-31-2018, 11:55 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Chris Jordan
thanks for the reply, so here's the thing i have absolutely no codes , and am I not correct in saying a coil pack will work or not work not half work ?
I have done the old school method of unplugging them and do that check , they all seemed to stumble the engine once disconnected meaning they are all fictional correct ?
Hmmm, my first thought is not all scanning tools are created equal in that not all of them get all codes. Not saying this is necessarily the case with your friend's scan tool, but it might make sense to have the codes professionally read.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Hasn't non-coil related misfires been related to EGR issues as a possibility as well?
Old 08-31-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by teh CL
Could be a clogged cat.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:17 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Morning all
so picked up my 2008 type s 6 spd two weeks ago .
And ironically seem to be having the exact same issues as OP
Have a buddy who brought home his scanning tool last night hooked it up and went for a long drive to try and figure this out . all is looking great , but I've got miss fires in all 6 cylinders . It's seems as if the miss fires happen at low throttle , also when the missfires were happening the knock sensor was advance the timing multiple times . It's a complete mystery Absolutely no codes present or stored anywhere . Plugs are new , car runs great other than this very annoying issue . Anyone out there that was solved this that can lend a hand , would be awesome. Cheers
Over rev?

... It is a truism with the J-Series engines where a single coil will generate random misfires on all six cylinders...
Never heard that one before. What are you basing that statement on?

Old 08-31-2018, 04:43 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Over rev?

Never heard that one before. What are you basing that statement on?
Had it happen to me and I've read numerous reports of the same here and on other Honda related web sites.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:12 PM
Race Director

Hmmm, been on this forum for 15 years and don't remember ever reading that....
Old 08-31-2018, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Hmmm, been on this forum for 15 years and don't remember ever reading that....
I was going to say I've never heard of this either , and even if it was possible. U will get an engine light if a coil pack shits the bed .

Again I have no codes what so ever , it's got to be something simple , just need a point in the right direction.

FYI - just picked up a compression Tester di all three front cylinders and got great readings 240-250
Will hit the backs tonight or tomorrow morning .

I've heard a few people say valve ajsment but then others say it doesn't fix a thing .
Old 08-31-2018, 07:53 PM
Race Director

If you have no MIL and no codes, what led you to hook up an analyzer?

And you do know that the system intentionally runs rich at start up to heat up the cats for max efficiency? Hence, a rough idle at start up and for a short time after?

You didn't address the issue of possible over rev by the previous owner. Have you ruled that out? How?
Old 08-31-2018, 08:04 PM
Instructor

If you have no MIL and no codes, what led you to hook up an analyzer?

And you do know that the system intentionally runs rich at start up to heat up the cats for max efficiency? Hence, a rough idle at start up and for a short time after?

You didn't address the issue of possible over rev by the previous owner. Have you ruled that out? How?
Yes im aware of the rough idle wight the tl type s at start up , but this is at start up and after .
It appears to be between idle and 1500rpm is were u really notice it .
And when it was hooked up the miss fires were occurring with lite throttle pressure under various senareos.

Over Rev? Fuel cut off prevent this does it not ?
What test would I do to determine this .
Old 08-31-2018, 08:28 PM
Race Director

Not on a missed downshift....
Old 09-03-2018, 11:18 AM
Instructor

So all here an updat on my tl

Over the weekend we took the top end apart and did a valve adjustment and yes things were out , also the intake manifold was dirty , not as bad as I've seen some but we did a good clean on it .
Put it all back together and all went well , definitely a bit of an improvement. But the missfires still there .

The next morning I was just looking under the hood and came across a loose front o2 sensor very odd but a good find , tighten it up . And unfortunately still having same problem

My brother suggested, cleaning out the egr valve ,
And I've searched the forms and the idle air control valve seems like a good thing to replace or clean ?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Instructor

So all here an updat on my tl

Over the weekend we took the top end apart and did a valve adjustment and yes things were out , also the intake manifold was dirty , not as bad as I've seen some but we did a good clean on it .
Put it all back together and all went well , definitely a bit of an improvement. But the missfires still there .

The next morning I was just looking under the hood and came across a loose front o2 sensor very odd but a good find , tighten it up . And unfortunately still having same problem

My brother suggested, cleaning out the egr valve ,
And I've searched the forms and the idle air control valve seems like a good thing to replace or clean ?
And to add to the above , I took the egr valve off and cleaned it out and the chanles that it's connect too.
Still getting the same results.
Anyone think a can of sea foam is a good idea ?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Latent car nut

And to add to the above , I took the egr valve off and cleaned it out and the chanles that it's connect too.
Still getting the same results.
Anyone think a can of sea foam is a good idea ?
Seafoam is snake oil, I'm sticking with my coil diagnosis (in spite of its unpopularity).
Old 09-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Seafoam is snake oil, I'm sticking with my coil diagnosis (in spite of its unpopularity).
Fair enough, I will do this coil diagnosis tomorrow .
From what I read the bocsh plugs are not as good as the NGK ones correct?
Should I just suck it up and replace the coil packs ?
I just don't understand how they could cause this problem with out tripping a code ?
Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Is there any aftermarket coil packs out there I can't seem to find anything
Old 09-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Latent car nut

There are L-O-T-S of coil packs out there for our engines. Amazon has over a dozen coil pack options, so too does RockAuto. The above said, personally I'd stick with OEM packs (which if I am not mistaken are made by Denso). Why? My two J-Series engines now have nearly 350,000 combined miles on them, and so far, only one failed coil pack.

Last edited by horseshoez; 09-03-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Instructor

There are L-O-T-S of coil packs out there for our engines. Amazon has over a dozen coil pack options, so too does RockAuto. The above said, personally I'd stick with OEM packs.
👍👍
Will check out that rocket auto
Old 09-03-2018, 10:26 PM
Instructor

There are L-O-T-S of coil packs out there for our engines. Amazon has over a dozen coil pack options, so too does RockAuto. The above said, personally I'd stick with OEM packs (which if I am not mistaken are made by Denso). Why? My two J-Series engines now have nearly 350,000 combined miles on them, and so far, only one failed coil pack.

Hitachi looks to be the direct oem replacement, rocket auto very limited selection in general.
Anyone else u purchase from .
I'm going to get a new set of the ngj laser iridium plugs hopefully tomorrow and will report back , here's hopping 🙈
Old 09-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Forgot to mention just tonight on the way back from the grocery store the tighten fuel cap warning came on .
Is it possible the evac purge canister valve is playing a roll in the missfires?
Watched a video that showed how to replace this thus stopping the annoying warring light on dash
Old 09-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Race Director

Yes.

Remind me again how you know you are getting misfires when there are no codes to indicate so?

Re: Seafoam. It's not snake oil. It's just probably not necessary if you run Top Tier gas. It can't hurt anything, but if you've always run Top Tier gas, you likely won't see any improvement after using Seafoam.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 09-04-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Latent car nut

Forgot to mention just tonight on the way back from the grocery store the tighten fuel cap warning came on .
Is it possible the evac purge canister valve is playing a roll in the missfires?
Watched a video that showed how to replace this thus stopping the annoying warring light on dash
I haven't heard a bad purge valve would cause misfire issues, but I suppose it is possible.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...9tYXRpYw%3D%3D
Old 09-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
I have used Coils from my 05 if you want to try them for a cheap fix.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Yes.

Remind me again how you know you are getting misfires when there are no codes to indicate so?

Re: Seafoam. It's not snake oil. It's just probably not necessary if you run Top Tier gas. It can't hurt anything, but if you've always run Top Tier gas, you likely won't see any improvement after using Seafoam.
when the car is at idle it's slightly off, and when u apply slight throttle it's rough at heck . I'm lost for what's going on ,
Hooked it up to buddies scanner ( 5K I might add ) and we drove around doing various different. And we got missfires in all 6 cylinders .

0 codes stored or active
Old 09-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Latent car nut

when the car is at idle it's slightly off, and when u apply slight throttle it's rough at heck . I'm lost for what's going on ,
Hooked it up to buddies scanner ( 5K I might add ) and we drove around doing various different. And we got missfires in all 6 cylinders .

0 codes stored or active
The scanner reporting misfires on all six cylinders is exactly the issue my J30 Accord exhibited, that said the scanner, a relatively expensive unit at my local shop, was able to pull at least one code at the same time. When I reported this issue over on a Honda Accord specific forum the techs on the board immediately reported this was common for misfires on all six to be reported when only one coil was bad, and sure enough, one coil fixed it.

I don't remember, have you moved the coils around to see if you can discern a difference when one is unplugged?
Old 09-04-2018, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
I have used Coils from my 05 if you want to try them for a cheap fix.
were abouts are you u located at , might not be a bad idea . Are they stock , all in good working order
Old 09-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Instructor

The scanner reporting misfires on all six cylinders is exactly the issue my J30 Accord exhibited, that said the scanner, a relatively expensive unit at my local shop, was able to pull at least one code at the same time. When I reported this issue over on a Honda Accord specific forum the techs on the board immediately reported this was common for misfires on all six to be reported when only one coil was bad, and sure enough, one coil fixed it.

I don't remember, have you moved the coils around to see if you can discern a difference when one is unplugged?
dam eh so ur saying there's a good chance I have one bad coil eh causing me all this bull shit

I'll try and get buddy to run his scanner and see if there is any codes
Old 09-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Latent car nut

dam eh so ur saying there's a good chance I have one bad coil eh causing me all this bull shit
That's my bet.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
were abouts are you u located at , might not be a bad idea . Are they stock , all in good working order

Located outside of Milwaukee, WI.

Id have to check if they are OEM but they worked great before I pulled them from the motor. I'd want $30 + shipping for all 6. I can look at them later this evening.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Race Director

0 codes stored or active
Huh? Try again, please... Make/model of scanner?

Really having trouble understanding how a scanner can see a misfire, but no code is set in the ECU.

You drove around doing various different.... what?

... When I reported this issue over on a Honda Accord specific forum the techs on the board immediately reported this was common for misfires on all six to be reported when only one coil was bad...
Which forum was this? Link to this post??

Last edited by nfnsquared; 09-04-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:39 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Old 09-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Instructor

That's my bet.
just picked up a set of brand new NGK plugs , I cheapped out and got the bocsh ones , can't see that causing this but I'm changing them nevertheless.
Also got one new coil just to see if I can't find the bad coil or if it indeed solves this mystery
Old 09-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Latent car nut

just picked up a set of brand new NGK plugs , I cheapped out and got the bocsh ones , can't see that causing this but I'm changing them nevertheless.
Also got one new coil just to see if I can't find the bad coil or if it indeed solves this mystery
Oy vey, Bosch plugs, I cannot tell you how many times I've seen reports of misfires caused by Bosch plugs (and not just on Honda engines). Put the new NGK plugs in and give it a try, you may be able to return the coil (or keep it as a spare).
Old 09-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Oy vey, Bosch plugs, I cannot tell you how many times I've seen reports of misfires caused by Bosch plugs (and not just on Honda engines). Put the new NGK plugs in and give it a try, you may be able to return the coil (or keep it as a spare).
Fair enough, just started the job
Going to do compression test Aspell
Eh the new plugs are at 42.5-43 cap , thought the gap was .44 correct
Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Race Director

don't try to gap the plugs, just put them in as is.

and gap spec is 0.039" - 0.043"

Last edited by nfnsquared; 09-04-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Instructor

don't try to gap the plugs, just put them in as is.
10-4 👍👍
Old 09-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Happy to announce all six of my cylinders are very healthy coming in at 245-250 psi
new plugs are in and did not change a bit .
Now I'm cycling a new coil threw the mix to see if it helps out