I'm Embarrassed! My TL Whistles Through The Streets!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Slowly But Surely

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I'm Embarrassed! My TL Whistles Through The Streets!

I purchased a 2005 TL back in March. Got a great deal because of the high mileage (150K). Purchased a high mileage warranty (5 years or 250K). May have been antsy at the dealership but I swore it was smooth and quiet during the test drive. I live in Poughkeepsie, NY (upstate) so the weather is just now breaking into the "windows down" phase . Lately, I've noticed a sharp rattle under the hood sometimes idling or often times upon acceleration (between 1-10 mph) . Through research, I may be able to chalk that up to the heat shield (is that an expensive fix?). Still not absolutely positive though. Beyond that, while at speeds below 40-50 mph, something seems to whine or whistle . Kinda embarrassing when the car is so dope but people are turning their head, not for the look but for the noise eminating from the hood. What the hell could it be? Is it normal for this type of mileage? My warranty covers powertrain and some electrical (AC, etc.) Are these problems typically costly? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance. Thanx!

P.S. Not mechanically inclined at all. Super scared to fuck anything else up more than what may be. I'm so unhandy .... I tried to swap the license plate lights out with white LEDs and stopped because my clips seemed like they were gonna break. Really not tryna be an enemy to my own whip.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Do you get the sound when the throttle is being applied lightly or does it occur all the time at the speeds below 40-50mph? I had a similar problem that occurred in light-throttle situations and the Honda dealer determined it to be a slightly plugged EGR valve/passage. They cleaned it out and problem solved! The sound coming from my car wasn't really a whistle, though. To me it sounded more like a metallic rattling sound. This could be a possibility considering your TL has so many miles and the EGR could be dirty by now.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
Is it a whining sound? I had an annoying sound and ended up being one of the pulleys on the autotensioner assembly. Changed the whole thing and it's gone.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Verbals
I purchased a 2005 TL back in March. Got a great deal because of the high mileage (150K). Purchased a high mileage warranty (5 years or 250K). May have been antsy at the dealership but I swore it was smooth and quiet during the test drive. I live in Poughkeepsie, NY (upstate) so the weather is just now breaking into the "windows down" phase . Lately, I've noticed a sharp rattle under the hood sometimes idling or often times upon acceleration (between 1-10 mph) . Through research, I may be able to chalk that up to the heat shield (is that an expensive fix?). Still not absolutely positive though. Beyond that, while at speeds below 40-50 mph, something seems to whine or whistle . Kinda embarrassing when the car is so dope but people are turning their head, not for the look but for the noise eminating from the hood. What the hell could it be? Is it normal for this type of mileage? My warranty covers powertrain and some electrical (AC, etc.) Are these problems typically costly? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance. Thanx!

P.S. Not mechanically inclined at all. Super scared to fuck anything else up more than what may be. I'm so unhandy .... I tried to swap the license plate lights out with white LEDs and stopped because my clips seemed like they were gonna break. Really not tryna be an enemy to my own whip.
If you have a warranty, just take it back to the dealer.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Power steering pump
Old 05-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Slowly But Surely

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko8221
Do you get the sound when the throttle is being applied lightly or does it occur all the time at the speeds below 40-50mph? I had a similar problem that occurred in light-throttle situations and the Honda dealer determined it to be a slightly plugged EGR valve/passage. They cleaned it out and problem solved! The sound coming from my car wasn't really a whistle, though. To me it sounded more like a metallic rattling sound. This could be a possibility considering your TL has so many miles and the EGR could be dirty by now.
The metallic rattle sound is only upon light throttle (I've heard it during a parked idle once also). How much did the dealer charge you? The Honda and Acura dealers are about equal mileage from my home, which do you prefer?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Slowly But Surely

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Is it a whining sound? I had an annoying sound and ended up being one of the pulleys on the autotensioner assembly. Changed the whole thing and it's gone.
I saw threads about the auto tensioner assembly. I was assuming that created the constant whining sound. Wasn't sure though. You changed it yourself or the dealer? Expensive? Difficult?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Slowly But Surely

Originally Posted by chayos00
If you have a warranty, just take it back to the dealer.
My high mileage warranty is through another company. My dealer said that he didn't think Acura would offer me one or it would be hella expensive. Did some research and picked out a reputable one with a good BBB rating. Only powertrain and some electrical though. Doubt if this problem fits the criteria, but I'll check into it once I get the problem singled out.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Slowly But Surely

Originally Posted by rkan121
Power steering pump
Power steering pump? Pardon if I sound unintelligent but wouldn't that be more prevalent during cornering and turning? I'm hearing the whine/whistle while going straight down the street.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am having the exact same problems! As soon as i pull out from a stop the very beginning of my acceleration it rattles and then goes fine than it starts whistling/wining from the back rite?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Verbals
The metallic rattle sound is only upon light throttle (I've heard it during a parked idle once also). How much did the dealer charge you? The Honda and Acura dealers are about equal mileage from my home, which do you prefer?
I was charged $105 (1.20 hours of labor) to remove the EGR and clean the valve and passage. I go to the Honda dealer because it is much closer (Acura dealer over an hour away) and I can drop my car off and they will give me a ride to and from work.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Slowly But Surely

Originally Posted by PRIMO88
i am having the exact same problems! As soon as i pull out from a stop the very beginning of my acceleration it rattles and then goes fine than it starts whistling/wining from the back rite?
It sounds as if we are experiencing the same problem but I'm not sure if it's coming from the back. It seems as if it's coming from under the hood.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Slowly But Surely

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko8221
I was charged $105 (1.20 hours of labor) to remove the EGR and clean the valve and passage. I go to the Honda dealer because it is much closer (Acura dealer over an hour away) and I can drop my car off and they will give me a ride to and from work.
Thanx for the info!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:16 AM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll take a shot at it. You might need a new drive (serpentine) belt auto-tensioner and may be a new belt as well. If you get a metallic rattle sound at idle, does the rattle increase when the AC kicks in? That's a sign of a bad tensioner. When you twist the belt, do the edges or inside grooves look cracked, torn or otherwise damaged? If so, you need a new belt.

Goodyear makes a quality tensioner kit that includes both the tensioner assembly with pulleys (idle/tension) and the drive belt. It's their Gatorback series, K49349A- can be had for about $75 shipped. GL!

Last edited by ACTROS; 06-08-2011 at 12:20 AM.