I need some help !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
I need some help !!

My car (2005 AT TL with 28 000) has a problem for a while now where it often becomes very sluggish. When i drive it in the morning or at night it seems very peppy but during the day and normal driving it loses it fast and feels like a 4 cylinder. I cant even get the tires to spin with VSA off. Ive tried some things like chevron injector cleaner and the throttle body spacer, i even changed the Intake Air Sensor which seemed like it helped a little but i dont know. Bottom line is when she warms up especially during the day she becomes very slow. And i mean regular driving not pushing it, its just hard to get her going, feels like you have 5 people in the car while i am by myself.

Tried the Dealership but you dont get anywhere with them, everything always seems fine to them.

So i really need your help on how I should approach this problem and where to start. what kinda diagnostics where can i take it to. I read some stuff on this forum where people have similar problems but nobody really comes up with the solution.

thanx for any help, i like this car, had it for a while but been dealing with this problem for a long time now. Makes me wanna get rid of it but i just dont want to.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:53 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My suggestion would be to meet with another TL owner on the forum in your area and I can think of 2 right now. Have them get in the car and drive it around see what they think

The TB spacer helps but your not going to notice a night and day gain. If its real hot your area you can try bypassing the coolant going to your TB, BUT its not recommended for cold winters.

Throw it on the dyno and see if it produces the stock #'s

Are you the original owner? cuz 05 28k miles extremely low.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
use a can of seafoam in the intake manifold vac port ,and a can in 1/2 tank of gas- that will make everything shiny new inside the important parts for combustion~

the TB spacer helps and an intake manifold spacer will do more for keeping engien heat from rising to the intake manifold
that helps when its hot outside
see www.outlawengineering.com for tech info
Old 05-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
seafoam the car, as well clean out the intake manifold and Throttle Body by hand (take if off). As well check the EGR port and clean if necessary, it will probably need a good cleaning. Have you checked the air filter? Check your tire pressure? Check oil level?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
how much do you weigh.... try all these methods and you'll be fine
Old 05-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
seafoam the car, as well clean out the intake manifold and Throttle Body by hand (take if off). As well check the EGR port and clean if necessary, it will probably need a good cleaning. Have you checked the air filter? Check your tire pressure? Check oil level?
well the problem is that i have been experiencing these symptoms for a while now and the car has only 28000 miles on it, since i mostly drive it on weekends and sometimes i do a long back and forth trip. Always used premium fuel. The problem is not there when you drive in the morning or at night, just during the day when the car gets a little hot from stop and go traffic. It really loses all its torque. And im talking about regular driving not pushing the car, im almost sure that if i do reset the ecu while these symptoms appear that i would regain the performance back. i did change the intake air sensor but i dont think it helped much...
Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
does it have extended periods of sitting between drives? Running a can of Seafoam through the intake will scare the crap out of you when you see what's coming out the exhaust but damn if the car doesn't love it!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:09 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reset the ecu... to start, then seafoam and then we can talk.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
It also might be psychological. Remember tempertures are cooler in the morning and at night and therefore better combustion and more power. Same reason why our cars so match faster in the fall, spring and winters. During a summer day, hot air = ass slow.

Also you might be getting use to the power now that TL is not that exciting to you anymore as well. I know this has happened to me lately.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
^it sounds like it's a bigger problem then just losing 10hp due to heat soak while driving around during the day in the sun.

bukva, isn't your car modded? it might help if you list all of the mods you have and it's a possibility that a part wasn't installed correctly.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:30 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does your gas mileage suffer during the day, too? Might not be a bad idea to borrow or buy a scan gauge and monitor the mileage during the three times of day your talking about.