HVAC problem, fan blowing, no air flowing out of vents...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:32 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
HVAC problem, fan blowing, no air flowing out of vents...

I was on my way from Colorado to Northwest Indiana, A/C was working fine, stopped at a rest area in Nebraska, shut the car off, when I restarted, no air coming out of the vents, the fan was blowing full speed, but air was just barely trickling out of the vents. Fan worked on all speeds, and when I changed "modes", upper, lower, mix, defrost... they all worked... Seemed like something was blocking air flow at the source of the fan. Like I said the fan was working just fine, so after I cussed a bit, I shut it off and drove with the windows down for about 300 miles... then out of nowhere, I could feel air flowing out of the vents, turned on the A/C and the air started flowing again. So is there some sort of master damper that cuts off the whole air supply right after the fan? I'm worried it may fail again, thank god it started working again because I ran into some bad storms and had i not had the air flowing, I would have fogged up and had a hard time seeing. Any intel would be great!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
I would check your cabin filter first. It is behind the glovebox and requires the removal of the plastic panels to get to. It is the only thing I "know" of that is in the blower path that may actually impede airflow.

Next up...well, I am not sure if there is any dampers that can actually block/impede overall airflow. As far as I know, they all direct airflow one way or another to the various vents...but not block. Hopefully others who know details about the inner workings of the HVAC system will chime in.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Your vehicle has a blend door that moves in accordance with the HVAC controls. It is located under the dash. If it doesn't move; no air.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Def not the cabin filter cause like I said it just all of a sudden started working again. I'm guessing it has to be the blend door. perhaps the motor is failing or some other kind of intermittent electronic issue. Is this blend door easily accessible?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Always best to try the search function. This board is full of all sorts of good information.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/air-mix-motor-blend-door-actuator-same-thing-899287/

Hope
this helps.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Didn't think the blend door actually blocked air? I was under the impression that it blends the hot and cool paths to control the temp that enters the cabin? I have never looked at one myself...just commenting off of my thoughts and what I picture in my head.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Possible?

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...tes-so-959532/
Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. The only thing I can control is the temperature. The recirculate button changes nothing and all I get is weak flow of air from everywhere, Don't think the blend motor has anything to do with it because temp control is not a problem and the car gets plenty cold on hot days. I just get frostbite on my feet after a few hours. Are the dampers controlled by vacuum?