Help, pls! '05 tl leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 01:48 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, pls! '05 tl leaks!

Ok, will try to make this short! '05 TL was brought in to dealer for recall repairs ( power steering hose and windshield wiper motor). Dealer needed loaner car back asap so car was driven to my work for exchange but car arrived, I noticed check engine light on and smell of pungent oil smell in the car.
Then, rep from dealership who drove car to me, noticed oil dripping and acknowledged that he smelt the strong oil odor too.
He was instructed to take car back and dealership ran multipoint inspection. Now, they came back with long list of wrk that needed to be done, in amount of close to $3000!
They said to fix oil leak, they suggested changing o ring, reseal oil pump, rear main seal, timing belt, drive belt, timing belt tensioner, etc..
For fixing check engine light issue, they said to replace 2 igniton coils that caused the check engine light to turn on.
What do you think? What do you suggest?
I never had these issues before my car was brought in for the recall repairs but technician kept insisting that those problems were pre-existing issues!
They have put in some dye so that we can confirm the source of the leak.
I find it very hard to believe, being that I never had those issues before. I truly think something happened at the dealership to have caused the issues but dealership is not taking responsibility!! Please help! What should I do? Please Help, ACURA ZINE!
Old 08-30-2017, 04:48 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
You're getting screwed. Call Acura Client Service and file a complaint. Then contact the service manager at the dealership and make it clear that you are not going to let them screw you around. Let him know that you have opened a case file with ACS. Watch them scramble to make things right.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 139 Posts
rear main seal and oil pump are either side of the engine.

Never heard of a dealership rushing to get their loaner back from a customer who has their car there for work.
Sounds like they may have caused the problem and wanted to pass the hot potato back to you in hopes that you didnt notice this until days later.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by flyromeo3
Never heard of a dealership rushing to get their loaner back from a customer who has their car there for work.
Sounds like they may have caused the problem and wanted to pass the hot potato back to you in hopes that you didnt notice this until days later.
I have had a dealer rush me on returning a loaner...but it wasn't an Acura dealer...it was a Chevy dealer who had very limited loaners. I have NEVER had my local Acura dealer ever rush me to return a loaner...ever. In my experience, they have been the most relaxed about the loaners in general on how much fuel is in them when returned, just bring it back on your schedule, don't worry if it is another day, blah, blah, blah.

Now, what are the chances they caused an oil leak? Slim to none. More than likely the burnt smell is power steering fluid that ended up where it didn't belong and when they went looking for a source, they found the oil leak and put the blame there. I know my oil pump is weeping a bit...there is no burning oil smell at all, just comments from the shop each time it goes in for an oil change.

As for the CEL and coil packs...that is a bit more fishy for sure. The big challenge here is that this is a fairly old car and the issues you are describing are not really out of the ordinary for a vehicle of this age. However it does stink on the timing and overall situation and hopefully Acura works with you to resolve the matter in a reasonable and fair manner.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:54 AM
5th Gear

Re:

I also didn't mentioned, when they brought the car back to me, it looks like they fixed the recall issue of the power steering fluid. I agree that the smell might have been from left over burnt power steering fluid but there was never any oil leaks.
the service director is aware of my issues after speaking to her about it for over 2 hours.
She suggested putting in dye to locate the oil leak bit she already said she will not be accountable for it.
I believe something happened to the car when it was driven to me.
the loaner car is nt from acura but from the same dealership but honda. The dealership of honda and acura is under the same ownership.
I file a complaint with The Bureau of Automotive Repair.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Why do you need dye? This isn't an invisible gas like A/C. Oil is visible without dye. All it needs is brake cleaner and some drive time.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:42 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by WDPanda
Why do you need dye? This isn't an invisible gas like A/C. Oil is visible without dye. All it needs is brake cleaner and some drive time.
they said they need to put in oil dye so that after the car is driven, they can use a UV light to locate the oil leak.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:03 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
You're getting screwed. Call Acura Client Service and file a complaint. Then contact the service manager at the dealership and make it clear that you are not going to let them screw you around. Let him know that you have opened a case file with ACS. Watch them scramble to make things right.
I spent over 2 hours speaking with the service director and she said theyll not take accountability.
they suggest to put in the dye in the oil and for me to take my car out for a drive and bring the car bk so that can use their UV light to locate the leak.
I have also filed a complaint with acura client relations but when I filed the complaint, I didn't get a sense that they'll be on my side and I'm afraid they'll take the dealership's position on not taking accountability. I've also filed a complaint with the state bureau of automotive repair...
Old 08-31-2017, 09:40 AM
BANNED

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
check with a lawyer