Hosed or in decent shape?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:01 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hosed or in decent shape?

Want to start of by saying hello, new forum from the stand point of posting so excuse me if this is not in the right section.

I recently purchased a 2004 TL 6MT with 120k for $6,000. Excellent condition, one owner. This being the 2nd MT car I've owned, last of which being 2 cars ago and a Honda Accord. Taught myself more or less how to drive standard, initially listened to friends shifting and coordinating that with what I'm watching them do/why they are doing it in relation to driving. I could't even tell you what double clutching is, but I do enjoy acceleration/down shifting and can control my car pretty decent I'd say. Put 15k on it in 5 months, and I thought I started to noticed for about 2 weeks or so I wasn't really getting the response from my car I normally would when shifting, it wasn't grabbing as hard as it normally would. When I initially purchased the car, the clutch didn't seem too tight, I'd say it would catch maybe half way, but a tad closer toward the floor. Kept feeling less torque and realized was worsening. It's catching pretty high now, RPMs increase momentarily after shifting and man is the thing dogging out.

From what I'm guess I need a new clutch, please correct me if I'm wrong.

A friend of mine checked it out to see if he and I could work something out in a trade for his RL and some cash. He checked it out via CarFax and from what it's indicating that the mileage was rolled back 60k. So now I'm at 195k in actuality. The person I bought the vehicle from never signed the title, so it looks like I myself have rolled back the mileage. Upset, of course, but at the same token so much time has elapsed, and as far as the CarFax logistics of it the original owner could have rolled them back and sold me the car BUT I didn't actually physically purchase the vehicle from them. Ownership wise it skipped somebody, and thats when the rollback occurred.

I NEED A CAR! The car is in awesome shape, I can add pictures as soon as these rains stop and I myself would have never guessed it was pushing 200k, so now I am at the cross road of since I am replacing a new clutch and considering the mileage should I knock out the water pump also? Went from a Accord, 2000 TL sold @ 226k, 03 wrecked @ 188k CL, now this 04 TL so I'm very familiar with the small little nuances but as far as gauging the life of an engine I really couldn't tell it.

How much longevity do you think I have in this vehicle after I replace both of those? Or should I just do clutch, and sell the car as TMU (True Mileage Unknown)? Again, the car is in great shape. I am feeling a little more confident in it's longevity considering its a 6MT, and from what I know about Acura's and their Achilles-heel being the tranny I think I could get a substantial amount of productivity out of the car.

Also, I recently took a new position with my company which is requiring 3 weeks of travel for training. 40 mile highway trip, no hills, maybe 1 or 2 veeeeerrrry slight inclines for about 2 miles, so not steep by any means. The car can still get up to about 65 on the highway, but any sort of stop and go traffic its a real drag. Would you attempt to make this commute? And should I kind of ride this clutch out til I cant any longer?

Totally unsure of what to do guys, appreciate the time and sorry if I'm not making much sense or this is in the wrong section. What would you guys do?

Found this, best price I've seen. From my knowledge I shouldn't be missing anything from this set correct?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUK-REPSET-CLUTCH-KIT-DMF-FLYWHEEL-04-06-ACURA-TL-3-2L-03-07-HONDA-ACCORD-3-0L-/151290175678?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CMake%3AAcura&hash=item233998e0be&vxp=mtr

Am going to provide a buddys of mines mechanic with the parts, he quoted me at $450 originally, but leveled with me for $400. Has a lift at his home, has worked on several of my friend's cars that were above the grade of mine and all my friend drives are MTs so I feel comfortable. There is a shop locally, quoted me at $300 for the job, and $300 for a Duralast clutch, but for some reason that seems a little on the cheaper side.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump