HID issue. Ballast or Igniter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID issue. Ballast or Igniter?

My driver side HID was out so I purchased some Morimoto 3Five bulbs. Yesterday i dug into the car and replaced both since i was doing it i figured i might as well do both (replaced the fog bulbs right away to). After replacing the bulb, driver side HID still does not work. Passenger side works fine. I did some research and found it could be either the igniter of the ballast. the fog light works fine and the wires look like they also run through the ballast. Would the fog light work if the ballast was functioning? other than swapping parts from one side to the other, how do you test to determine which of the two is the culprit?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

added note, blown fuse number 1 which is the right low beam. I replaced the fuse and it blew again. I found a post that talks about this, one guy points it to be the ignitor and the other the ballast. I dont want to have to rip everything about to swap the parts to test since it seems this requires pulling the bumper off, but if thats my only option, i guess i have no choice.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Cruisin'

So for anyone that comes across this here was the fix. First i replaced the bulbs, that did not fix anything. I then tracked down the blown fuse. I tracked this down to a bad driver side ballast. The outside was covered in rust which would go along with it shorting out due to water damage. After inspecting the still working ballast, i noticed it also had some rust. At this point i had two options. Buy a replacement OEM ballast or buy and aftermarket kit. A new OEM ballast would have been several hundred dollars. A used ballast would have been between $100 and $150 and who was to say how long that ballast would actually work. I decided to go with the second option of buying a full HID kit. the one i purchase was
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=242
It included two new bulbs, the ballasts, and all wiring needed. It was every easy to install and the only problem i ran into was that one of there wires was installed into a plug backwards which gave me some trouble. All you have to do is solder into the driver side power. The LEDs will light up when you have the correct connection (and headlights turned on). I also decided this route because i should be able to get most of my investment back by selling the used parts on ebay. Like I said a used ballast goes for about $100 and up. The two ignition wires i should be able to get around $40 for the set and the two extra HID bulbs that i got with the kit, i can sell since i purchased two new bulbs in my troubleshooting.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I would just sand down the corrosion and let it rip... i did that with my driver side two years ago and still running.