Help!! Water in my FOG LIGHTS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Help!! Water in my FOG LIGHTS!!!

This morning (6AM) on my way to work, it decides to pour down rain like a hurricane was coming to TX. As i leave the house i notice on the on the underpass by the highway was having traffic. I figured this was the routine traffic because there is a red light by the underpass and this is one of the main roads people take to work. However, I really couldn't see far away because i was behind like 20 cars. As i got closer to the stop light i notice there were cars on the side of the road? i thought maybe an accident? and i saw cars stopped in the middle of the street and cars weaving around a stopped car?..i notice the water around the Stopped Car (Corvette was pretty high)..as i got closer to the vette...i notice the water level was getting higher and higher...i kept on going cause the car in front of me was a TL also and he kept on going so i just followed the leader...

Right when i was about 3 cars from the VETTE i knew i was in deep shit...the water level has raised up around 2 to 3 feet and the bottom half of the vette wasnt even visible... but somehow i made it through Alive...when i got to the stop light there was no more water...i felt like i drove through a river... when i got to work i got out...and saw my fog lights were filled with water and fogged up... my left fog light was blown...my right fog light was still there..

lucky me..my left fog has the orginal factory bulb...and my right side had the HID 5k FOG lights...(THANK GOD!)

so what should i do ?? i took a few pictures after i got off of work...water level in the fogs obviously declined... it was half filled on both sides when i checked before i went into work..

Right FOG LIGHT
(Passenger Side)

Right FOG LIGHT (Driver Side)

if you notice...i see a lot of glass like materials on the inside of the fog light housing...are my fog lights goners???

what should i do?!?!?!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Your best bet is to take out the fog light (leave the bulb base in the light!!!) and take it out and put it over a bucket. Then while wearing gloves take out the base of the light and drain the light + glass fragments into the bucket (do it outside).

Check the fog light and make sure it isn't damaged with burn marks, etc. and let it dry out for a day or so. Then put it back together with a new bulb and also try putting some silicon sealant/calking on any gaps to help seal it up a bit better.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Pro

^^ alright im taking it apart right now!!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
check if your fog light bulb is loose, i bet the bulb is broken inside but the base is still attached....the bulb's base should be airtight and should not allow water to go inside....as it would pop the bulb....

then i would take the bulb out carefully and with a spoon and a cloth wipe out the moisture from the assemble and let it air dry....once the fog light assembly is dry, i would put a new bulb in and check for play....

remember fogs are not sealed as the headlights are....so this is not much of an issue...
Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Pro

muahahz... i took it apart and nothing was wrong i pour all the water out and wiped it down clean and blow dry it with a hair dryer...the glass came from the busted factory bulb..

but for my hid..the right side..it just fogged and a little water...but the HID is perfectly fine... i think luck is on my side this time
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 PM

make sure you add a rubber ring to the bulb (hid or regular) if it doesnt already have one...this will make sure water doesnt enter the fog light assembly....
Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Pro

^^yessir =) already done
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM