Help with Factory Alarm setting itself off

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Help with Factory Alarm setting itself off

This past Sunday, we were hit with some cold not common for this area. Out of the blue, the alarm just started blaring. Would not respond to the factory FOB, only the Viper. For the heck of it, I remote started the TL and turned it back off, only to find the TL repeatedly locking itself. The DRLs are on and the VSA was on even though the car hadn't moved. Alarmed all through the day and then stopped sometime that evening. Went out the next morning to warm it up but the battery was dead which likely explains why the alarm stopped. Got a jump and took it over to Acura. Told me those were all indicators of a dying battery. Changed out the battery under warranty. On the way home, I noticed that the rear map lights were on very dimly as if they weren't getting full power though they shouldn't have been on in the first place. Alarmed again that night so I went out and unplugged the battery all together.

Called Acura the next morning to let them know it was still occurring. They said everything looked fine but that I should have my Viper system re-inspected. The Viper had been giving me headaches over the 5 months it was installed, so I had Best Buy take it out. Got it home and it's doing the same thing except now, it's responding to the factory FOB.

It's obvious there is a short somewhere but does anyone have an idea what would randomly trigger the factory alarm to go off?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Could be a faulty door/trunk switch. When it alarmed, did you happen to notice if the MID showed an open door? Next time it alarms, take a look at the MID before you disarm it or open a door.

I'm more inclined to believe it might be a faulty computer electronic part (i.e. gauge control unit or MICU, or maybe even ECM/PCM). I don't think it has anything to do with the Viper.