help! Broken bumper clips/tabs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help! Broken bumper clips/tabs

So someone hit me and ran a few months back and i wanted to get my bumper repainted now that i have the money but i remember a few of my bumper clips broke and the whole where the clips go into broke to the tabs where the clips went in werent gone they now just have an opening in them where the clips rip through... my question is do i have to get a new bumper or can a body shop some how fix these holes in the tabs where the clips go in so there normal again...
thanks for your help
Old 01-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're talking about the 3 or 4 rectangular looking holes on either side of the bumper, towards the top, I don't think a body shop can actually repair them. My sister has an 06 accord with pretty much the same front bumper set-up like the TL. Well, I had to take her bumper off a few times to install headlights. Almost all of the clips broke. But as long as you still press the lip of the bumper in (where the clips would connect) the bumper stays in place. She hasn't had any issues with it flapping in wind or trying to peel off. The clips seem like they are meant to break.....at least I couldn't figure out how the hell to remove the bumper without a few snapping.

Long story short, if your bumper stays in place well without the clips being perfect, you won't have a problem with it falling off. There are several other areas that sort of clip, or attach the bumper to the car.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
It's hard to tell exactly which mounting point your talking about. More description, front or rear, top or bottom, LT or RT?? What part does the bumper tab attach too? Pics would also help.

Sometimes you can get away with drilling a new hole through both parts, near the area, for a new place to install the push clip. You could just see what the body shop tells you, let them know they can be creative, to keep the cost low, avoiding a new bumper.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:30 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Why in the world didnt you make an insurance claim? Hit and Run's fall under uninsured motorists policy...is not your fault...and carries no deductible. Consider it.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

i know but wotnt my insurance go up ?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not an agent but my understanding is that if you are not in the car and someone hits it or something falls on it, they cannot raise your rates because you were not even 1% at fault for the cause of the accident. These are comprehensive claims and do not affect your rates (unless you have one like every week in which case the insurance company would probably want to have a chat with you...)

Of course, the laws could be different in NY...
Old 01-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
A hit-and-run claim typically won't affect your rates, but it may affect the quotes you receive from other companies if you decide to switch down the road. Even if your current insurance company flags the record to say you weren't at fault, other companies only see it as a collision payout.

BTW, it's all moot in your case. If the hit-and-run happened months ago and you didn't fill a police report or notifiy your insurance company back then, you're probably SOL now.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DanL
A hit-and-run claim typically won't affect your rates, but it may affect the quotes you receive from other companies if you decide to switch down the road. Even if your current insurance company flags the record to say you weren't at fault, other companies only see it as a collision payout.

BTW, it's all moot in your case. If the hit-and-run happened months ago and you didn't fill a police report or notifiy your insurance company back then, you're probably SOL now.

as long as you can get a cop to write the police report i will be fine
Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 PM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by TLNY04
i know but wotnt my insurance go up ?
Yes, but not right away.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by xen-cuts
Yes, but not right away.
And you base this comment on what? If rates go up in a given class...everybodies rates will rise in that class. Outside of that...if this person does not have HUGE claim history with a given company...rates should not rise as a result of making a claim.

Damn guys...you pay for full coverage insurance and then dont use it? In some instances....that may be smart...but in most...the cost of the repair will justify it. Especially in this case where it will fall in the uninsured motorists section of the policy on a drive off. That alone kind of implies guilt on the party that drove off.

Your credit score would have more to do with your rates than this claim would IMO....