Headliner Rattle - Drivers Side - 08 TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headliner Rattle - Drivers Side - 08 TL

I bought my '08 TL w/ Nav in October of 2007. For about the past 6 months, I've had a metal rattling sound in the headliner near my left ear. It sounds like it's in the headliner above the middle of the drivers door. It rattles when I go over bumpy roads, and more when it's cold.

At my first oil change, I asked the dealer to look into it. He said it must be the insulation on top of my drivers side door. He had a TSB on that problem, so he did his fix. It took the car home at the end of a warm day, so I thought the problem was fixed. Unfortunately, the next cold morning it was back. So, I took the car back to the dealor. He applied more felt to the top insulation of the drivers door, and I took it home. That didn't fix it either.

I'm convinced the rattle is coming from the headliner right above the door....not the insulation above the door. I'm looking for help describing the problem to the dealor. It sounds like a metal clip is loose up there.

Before taking it back a 3rd time, I wanted to check here to see if anyone else has had this same problem? Thanks,
Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 PM
acura master tech

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i think it might be the door seals. some times thats sounds like the headliner.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:51 AM
7th Gear

240 sx acura tech, Thanks for the suggestion, but I've had it in to the dealor twice for the door deal fix and I still have the problem.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:56 PM
acura master tech

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
does it go away when you open the sun roof.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 PM
2nd Gear

Headliner rattle

I had my 08 tl at the dealer for the same problem. Have them check your sunvisor.the peice that extends toward the rearview mirror may rattle. Dealer replaced my sunvisor and it is now gone. Best of luck rattles are a bitch:
Old 11-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a rattle in my 07 TL when going over certain bumps right above my left ear. It turned out to the handle above the door. I took the handle off and lined the price of metal that slides back into place (after pulling on the handle) with adhesive felt. So far, so good. Turned out the fitting had some slack in it causing the rattle.

I have a question now. My headliner has been rattling and can be duplicated by pushing up on it right behind the sun roof. I know there is some type of velcro holding the headliner against the roof pan, but by pressing up, I can hear clicks along the back driver's corner of the sun roof. Anybody experience this or have a fix for it. I'm not sure what to do this time around.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by vptrails
I had a rattle in my 07 TL when going over certain bumps right above my left ear. It turned out to the handle above the door. I took the handle off and lined the price of metal that slides back into place (after pulling on the handle) with adhesive felt. So far, so good. Turned out the fitting had some slack in it causing the rattle.

I have a question now. My headliner has been rattling and can be duplicated by pushing up on it right behind the sun roof. I know there is some type of velcro holding the headliner against the roof pan, but by pressing up, I can hear clicks along the back driver's corner of the sun roof. Anybody experience this or have a fix for it. I'm not sure what to do this time around.

I have similar problem. my car has about 29k miles and my headliner started to rattle recently. On some days it is really lound constant rattle that will only go away when I pray it and hold it with my hand. On some days it is not that bad. I talked to my service advisor and I am going to actually record the noises just as a proof since I am sick of going to dealer and all of sudden nothing rattles.

I also have glovebox/right door rattle that only happens when temperature is cold - below 40.

I also have 3rd gear problem and subwoofer rattle, but I am trying to get a proof/way to identify each and will bring my car individually for each issue to make sure things get addressed properly.