Headlights are not bright!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006 | 01:46 PM
Racer

Headlights are not bright!!

I bought my 04 TL CPO a couple months ago. The first thing I noticed while driving the car at night time is the headlights output doesn't seem to be as bright especially for a car with HIDs. I have 6000K aftermarket kit on my 3000GT and those were brighter. I would pass by other cars with normal halogen lights and their beam ouput would overlap mine instead of it being vice versa. So I took it back to the dealership and instead of fixing the problem they found a solution for it. They aimed them lower, now I can see the ground bright but I cannot see far out.

Call me picky or whatever but I always have to use my high-beams to see the rest of the road when I'm on the interstate and no other cars around.
I took a screw driver and aimed them up myself to my liking to get the best of both worlds. They're ok. But I test drove an '06 TL the other day and noticed a few things. 1 the headlights were more yellow, but also a lot brighter and we're aimed exactly like mine. 2 all the buttons on the steering wheel light up... my dealer told me only the Nav and HFL buttons do. I'm getting irritated now.

What can are options out there to get my headlights running 100%. I can even pass other TLs on the road their beam output would overlap mine on the ground also. I have an appointment next wed with a different dealer to get my HFL looked at(it won't connect to my phone anymore). Anything I should mention about the headlights. I have them aimed perfectly right now but I just don't want them to simply aim them on the ground and I can only see like 3 ft in front of me.
Old 09-09-2006 | 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

the lights get bluer after time, and also the higher k the light, the less output. You might have a low battery, and also on my 04, all of the buttons on the steering wheel light up nicly like the center console.
Old 09-11-2006 | 02:54 AM
Racer

Yes I'm aware that the Higher Kelvin rating= less lumens. But factory units are like what 4500? And my aftermarket 6000K on my 3000GT thats going through projectors not really meant for HIDs seems to be brighter.
Old 09-11-2006 | 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

I thought the HIDs get more yellow as the age?
Old 09-11-2006 | 03:01 PM
Racer

They change color over time. Depending on the manufacturer of the bulb. I believe with the manufacturer of our bulb, it gets pink as it ages. The Philips I believe gets more blue as it ages.
Old 09-12-2006 | 12:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by CometVR4
Yes I'm aware that the Higher Kelvin rating= less lumens. But factory units are like what 4500? And my aftermarket 6000K on my 3000GT thats going through projectors not really meant for HIDs seems to be brighter.
Your TL might be fitted with aftermarket bulbs and if this is the case, you better hold on to your wallet if they replace them at the dealer as it will not be covered under warranty.

I find that the original HID bulbs on my TL (a 2005) are bright enough.

Actually, I would even say that the TL has the best headlights of any cars I have owned or driven in the past 30 years.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 09-12-2006 | 08:10 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

I thought about this as I drove last night...
And this is absolutely not the case for my 05 TL. Where I live is hilly (not mountainous, but hilly), I have no problem seeing up the road with my lights and also much better in the straight-away areas. In fact, a lot times I'll notice that my lights are much brighter than the people in front of me because I can see mine reflecting off of street signs, etc. The very one thing I remember my salesman telling me is that they take time to get used too because they are so direct...but maybe that's not your issue?

Also, I don't know much about "bulb life", but I was under the impression that HID's were supposed to last a very long time. So, I can't understand how even a 2004 model would need its bulbs replaced yet. That doesn't seem right?
Old 09-13-2006 | 06:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KJW73
I thought about this as I drove last night...
And this is absolutely not the case for my 05 TL. Where I live is hilly (not mountainous, but hilly), I have no problem seeing up the road with my lights and also much better in the straight-away areas. In fact, a lot times I'll notice that my lights are much brighter than the people in front of me because I can see mine reflecting off of street signs, etc. The very one thing I remember my salesman telling me is that they take time to get used too because they are so direct...but maybe that's not your issue?

Also, I don't know much about "bulb life", but I was under the impression that HID's were supposed to last a very long time. So, I can't understand how even a 2004 model would need its bulbs replaced yet. That doesn't seem right?

On dark roads I don't have much of a problem. But its under city driving is when can't tell if the lights are on or off. I know it has to be something because I see other cars or TLs on the same street and I'll pull up next to them to compare the beam output and theirs are really bright.
Old 01-09-2009 | 08:15 PM
Racer

This problem is annoying me.

The dealer cannot find anything wrong. Everyone else says they're fine, when when I get next to another TL or any car with HIDs. They're are 10 times brighter. I'd adjusted the aim on them both up and down and the brightness stays the same. They are brighter any most cars with Halogens but Its equal brightness to my wife's car with Silverstar headlights.

What type of Bulb does a TSX use? Can I use that one?

Also my cutoff is not sharp.
Old 01-09-2009 | 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

bring the car back to the dealer when it is dark and have them line your TL and another TL up - say w/ their lights on a garage door - that way you can show them the difference btwn the 2.

when I bought my 04 TL the HIDs just amazed me - about as much as the difference btwn dial up and cable internet
Old 01-09-2009 | 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CometVR4
This problem is annoying me.

The dealer cannot find anything wrong. Everyone else says they're fine, when when I get next to another TL or any car with HIDs. They're are 10 times brighter. I'd adjusted the aim on them both up and down and the brightness stays the same. They are brighter any most cars with Halogens but Its equal brightness to my wife's car with Silverstar headlights.

What type of Bulb does a TSX use? Can I use that one?

Also my cutoff is not sharp.
the TSX bulbs and the TL are the same. It could be the projector with a loose lense or something. Can you take a picture of the lights with them hitting against a wall/garage door so we can see the cut-off and the brightness. As well take a photo with your highbeams so we can see if the solenoid is working.
Old 01-09-2009 | 11:44 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

bulbs are either aftermarket or just dying out, post up pics so we can identify the problem...
Old 01-10-2009 | 12:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Regardless of the output (it sounds like it is not correct right now), I don't see where fooling with the aiming is going to help.

What I mean is, if they are weak, they are weak no matter where you aim them. So, for the rest of us heading at you - aim them correctly. Spec here:

G-007: Headlight Adjustment
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/custom-radio-dash-kit-92736/

FWIW - sounds to me like you need new bulbs (and new dealers - don't see a difference in output and don't know which lights should be lit on the steering wheel; Sounds like they don't want to honor the CPO. ).
Old 01-10-2009 | 12:13 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Regardless of the output (it sounds like it is not correct right now), I don't see where fooling with the aiming is going to help.

What I mean is, if they are weak, they are weak no matter where you aim them. So, for the rest of us heading at you - aim them correctly. Spec here:

G-007: Headlight Adjustment
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92736

FWIW - sounds to me like you need new bulbs (and new dealers - don't see a difference in output and don't know which lights should be lit on the steering wheel; Sounds like they don't want to honor the CPO. ).
agreed, I think the op should just replace bulbs with good ones and or adjust them as spec...
Old 01-14-2009 | 05:24 PM
I MAKE NO SENSE

my 04 has all the steering wheel controls light up (volume, channels, cruise)... you might want to check with your dealer again
Old 01-15-2009 | 08:08 AM
Green Machine

Maybe it's the headlight surface itself. I had the same problem, because my headlights had a slight yellow film that effected the brightness. After using one of these headlight clearing kits, the lighting looks good as new. That or your car battery is low. I also heard grounding kits can make the headlights shine brighter as well.

As for the steering wheel buttons, the dealer changed my out via warranty with no problems. Just my . Good luck!