Headlight Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Adjustments

Good afternoon fellow TL'ers,

I took my 2004 TL to the local Firestone for its State Inspection...and whaddya know, they call shortly later with this response.

"We've got your TL here, theres just one minor thing that we'd have to fix for it to pass inspection...headlight adjustments...your headlights are a little too low...so we will go ahead and fix this for ya and itll pass ok?

"How much will that run?"

"19.99"

"How did it pass inspection last year at Firestone, and I havent done a thing to the frontend or headlights"

"Well, just like your alignment, your headlights can shift a little here and there too."

I'm no mechanic, but I really wouldnt think headlights would shift that much to pass one year and not the next...

I chose to take the rejection sticker and try to do it on my own...any help/advice would be greatly appreciated...is it worth it to just give them the 20 bucks and move on?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
take it somewhere else, i wouldnt let anyone at firestone touch my headlights...maybe there sighting tool is off or whatever it is they use to determine that your lights are low....get the inspection somewhere else...if they really are low, take it to the dealer...
Old 10-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Do a Google on aligning headlights .. its really simple on the TL.. I just did mine a bit ago because they were way too high after I dropped it.. took 10 minutes and 4' of masking tape and a Phillips screwdriver with a 8" shaft.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the help. I'm gonna do it myself just so they wont see anything more than $1 from me for the re-inspection.

I feel its just a scam that these people do just to get an easy 20 bucks, and theres nothing the consumer can do about it. If you say you want the reject sticker...even if your lights were aligned, how much u wanna bet that they tweak it a little so that they ARE off...

I didnt lower it, didnt change headlights nada thing! And I dont even need an alignment! So if my wheels dont need aligned, how the hell do my headlights move more than them!

I really wish I had a good friend that was a mechanic...its a business where scams are too prevalent and too often.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Intermediate

Just took the car in for a re-inspection of the headlights and got a call back saying it was good to go and passed inspection this time!

But...I didnt do a damn thing to the headlights LOL! I tried to adjust them, and it seemed easy, but I fiddled around for a little bit with a screwdriver and the lights didnt budge at all. So I gave up, washed and waxed her and took her to the Firestone (Dominion Blvd & West Broad St in Glen Allen, VA)...and somehow magically they are good enough to pass this week.

I didnt say anything smart on the phone, but I was gonna question them when I go to pick up the car...good idea? or should I just take my car and never go back (I wont go back either way).