Having major issues after wreck! Someone please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having major issues after wreck! Someone please help!

ok so about a month and a half ago I got into a wreck in my 07 TL when someone hit me on the driver side. All the damage to the car seemed like mainly exterior/body issues. However, after the car went to the shop and was fixed, Im having major electronics issues. I think theres a short somewhere in the harnesses somewhere, just cant figure out where.

I have a 2007 BASE model TL. About a year ago I did the navi conversion and had Martin (the guy from NJ who makes the harness) install everything. I bought the entire kit from him. And then I had car toys here in Dallas take out one of the shelves underneath the cd changer to install a kenwood digital media receiver and had all my speakers and subwoofer connected to it. Those are the 2 main components that I have either upgraded/changed on this vehicle.

Now, everything was working fine immediately before and after the wreck. The car was not driveable after the wreck, but EVERYTHING was working properly. It wasnt like the speakers or the digital media receiver stopped working or anything.

So anyhow, after getting my car back, the odometer isnt working properly. When I turn the headlights on, the odometer is fine. But when I drive during the day without the headlights on, the odometer does NOT diplay the miles or temperature, etc. It just displays a weird 6 digit number and starts flashing that number. I cannot cycle through any of the options with the scan button. It won't let me. Also, when I turn the headlights on/off the interior lights start to flicker.

Obviously this is scary because I don't want any of the original factory harnesses to short (which it already is) and then burn out.

The only other thing that I have done to this car is change the foglights to HIDs and replaced that harness.

I took it to my local acura dealership today and they told me that I need to remove all my aftermarket electronics and HID harness and go back to factory stuff and hopefully that takes care of the issue.

Im just freaking out because if that doesnt fix the issue, will I have to remove the navi and go back to the base TL display, etc? Could the navi harness cause this issue, if the TL brain doesnt recognize the navi because its not a factory harness?

The battery did die after the wreck because the door wouldnt close and I think it drained while it was at the collision center, so it probably was either replaced or reset, which is most likely why things arent being recognized..

Any help will be appreciated...

This will not be my car anymore because I just replaced it with an 09 TL, but Im afraid the resale value will take a huge hit if I dont get all of this fixed (obviously).

Should I go ahead and undo the navi conversion anyway to keep from any further issues in the future?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
it sounds like there is a communications error somewhere within the car. Go into the navi hidden menus and run a system test/diagnostics. It'll show the modules that it is not communicating with.

I'd be willing to bed that a harness either got messed up during the wreck and wasn't repaired, or some electronics were damaged when the car was jumped.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i do that?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
It might be as simple as a bad ground.