AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Had a bad starter. Replaced with new starter and... (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/had-bad-starter-replaced-new-starter-857456/)

AF_BRYAN 05-16-2012 06:05 PM

Had a bad starter. Replaced with new starter and...

One day trying to leave for work and my car didnt start, but I had power still. I go on Acurazine:thumbsup: and all the symptoms I have are the same as others with bad starters.

So I buy a new one, replace it myself and it starts right up first try. Then later on when I go to leave and start my car back up it does the same exact thing as the old starter did and click but no turning over.

I have a new battery, cleaned the posts and connectors anyways and even re-did the whole install but still no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe its something besides the starter? I'm lost and frustrated. :annoyed:

lilsid112 05-16-2012 06:07 PM

Have you had your alternator tested?

AF_BRYAN 05-16-2012 06:11 PM

Not yet, guess I could do that. But still wouldnt help out with figuring out what's wrong.

3gstealth 05-16-2012 07:25 PM

Something is putting a draw on your battery. It could possibly be your hands free link is failing.

Turbonut 05-16-2012 07:34 PM

Turn the lights on and try and start, if lights dim considerably, problem with power, but if no start and the lights remain bright, starter, especially if you hear the starter's infamous click. If you have a volt meter through it on the battery to check condition. A-Z starters leave a lot to be desired.

AF_BRYAN 05-16-2012 10:28 PM

Tried the lights and they didn't dim. So I took the new starter and tested it and the gear that engages the flywheel isn't coming out. Guess they sent me a faulty starter unfortunately.

Turbonut 05-17-2012 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by AF_BRYAN (Post 13780525)
Tried the lights and they didn't dim. So I took the new starter and tested it and the gear that engages the flywheel isn't coming out. Guess they sent me a faulty starter unfortunately.

My son is on his 4th A-Z starter in his Toyota, but the only positive is that they carry a lifetime warranty. Years ago I would take "rebuilt" starters apart to examine the quality of the rebuid before doing an install and some manufacturers didn't even clean the debris out of the case, just do the repair and resell, even the same old brushes, solenoid disc not changed, armature/commutator not machined, etc.

Guess you'd better check the replacement before doing the install. Good luck.

shenrie 05-17-2012 07:55 AM

not sure about the newer stuff, but on the older honda starters all that ever went bad normally was the brushes. new brushes are under 10 bucks a piece (need 2) and pretty easy to replace, then your not stuck with some piece of shit reman starter that you have to replace every other day.

same story with honda alternators.

BG74 05-18-2012 03:32 PM

Clutch switch out of adjustment or broken?

g2teg 05-21-2012 08:18 PM

Check all your ground wires