Going to the dealership to get my rattles fixed next week.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:24 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Going to the dealership to get my rattles fixed next week.

I just passed 600 miles and unfortunately the rattle started. It doesn't bother me as much since I just came from an A4, which was a rattle trap. The A4 also gave me a lot of experience dealing with rattles/squeaks.

I localized 2 rattles/sqeaks - the high-mount brake light and the driver side seatbelt tensioner.

I know the brake light is in a TSB, but have not seen anything about the driver seatbelt tensioner. Anyone encountered that issue before?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:48 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have the seatbelt rattle, 2005 model. Were they able to fix this at the dealer?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:01 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This might help you make it a one-trip repair. I posted here about how I was able to show the tech exactly where every rattle was in my car. If you have the means to do this, it's probably worth the effort. All you need is a laptop, a cassette adapter, and some software (maybe even freeware) that can create sine waves.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Instructor

My 04TL had the driver's seatbelt tensioner rattle - the dealer confirmed the rattle and replaced it. The new tensioner rattled as well. On a test drive with the tech, he confirmed that the rattle with the new tensioner existed, but later the dealer stated that they couldn't reproduce it. Whatever - that lemon is now theirs to deal with...

My 05 has the same rattle - not as bad, but its there, humming away in my left ear. I can usually grab the movable plastic piece and move it around - the rattle usually goes away. I think someone posted that they put a stick-on felt piece under the mechanism to eliminate the rattle. Sounds like a better plan than replacing the entire unit . . .

good luck!
sftroy
Old 01-12-2006, 05:26 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by bluenoise
This might help you make it a one-trip repair. I posted here about how I was able to show the tech exactly where every rattle was in my car. If you have the means to do this, it's probably worth the effort. All you need is a laptop, a cassette adapter, and some software (maybe even freeware) that can create sine waves.

Good luck!
You're a genius!

I just went to Walmart and got a cassette adaptor. I also just found a freeware tone generator. Looks like I will have fun with my laptop tonight.

Thanks!!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:10 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Update

I brought the car in 12/14 for the driver side b-pillar rattle. My dealer determined the rattle is coming from the seatbelt adjuster. Unfortunately they did not have the parts at the time and asked me to bring the car in after they get the parts in.

I went in again on 12/30 after they received the parts. It took about an hour to install them.

As soon as I leave the dealership I heard rattles. It sounded a little different but still rattles. I gave a few days and found it still exists so I call my service advisor back. He apologized and ask me to bring the car in again and this time he will get a tech to ride with me. I scheduled to go in next Monday.

However, after going through this post I went to Walmart and got a cassette adaptor to connect my laptop to the audio system. I downloaded tone generator to generate sound.

After I set up everything I started playing range of tones. Narrowing down the frequencies util I got to 68hz.

The rattle's resonant frequency!

At this frequency one can hear the vibration pretty clearly. The surprise is that it's not coming from the b-pillar, but from within the map pocket in the driver side door. Upon closer inspection I found the culprit - a penny stuck between the moveable lid and the hinge.

Looks like I owe my service advisor an apology!

By the way, here are the part numbers:

81460-SEP-A01 <-- adjuster
84161-SEP-A02ZA <--Garnish, L. NH

Both covered under warranty.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:26 PM
tTLiang

blue "noise" is a genius. i don't have rattles but it's a great thing to keep in mind.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
FCO
7th Gear

My 05 TL also has 600 miles on it and rattles everywhere. I don't think it's a lemon, I think they are all that way. After several trips to the service dept and no luck, I am ready to trade it in. When you spend 30000+ on a car, you expect and deserve better. Let me know if you find a solution!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:17 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FCO
My 05 TL also has 600 miles on it and rattles everywhere. I don't think it's a lemon, I think they are all that way. After several trips to the service dept and no luck, I am ready to trade it in. When you spend 30000+ on a car, you expect and deserve better. Let me know if you find a solution!
I'm sorry you have so many rattles. The service department should be able to fix them for you. I agree this car shouldn't rattle like it does, but mine is good now after I employed my rattle-hunting trick described above.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by FCO
Hi,

I have same problems. my TL rattles on every bump.
I was in dealership twice, but no luck so far. (plus they have good roads near dealer, so they do not hear these rattles, but I am from NY, so once I am back rattles start to appear)
BTW I was given a loaner TSX and I can tell you right away that these TSX are built much better. On way home and back to dealer I had 0 rattles in TSX and many in my own TL
I am looking for other car (not Acura) , however I can not find any in range 30-40K that I would like.
A6 is very cool and build right (but it cost ~ 47-49K, this is tooo much for me)
MB C class is too small
M45 is very, very veryyyyy slow car.
Acura TL is way underpowered too.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:44 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by oppnyc
Hi,

I was in dealership twice, but no luck so far. (plus they have good roads near dealer, so they do not hear these rattles, but I am from NY, so once I am back rattles start to appear)
BTW I was given a loaner TSX and I can tell you right away that these TSX are built much better. On way home and back to dealer I had 0 rattles in TSX and many in my own TL
I am looking for other car (not Acura) , however I can not find any in range 30-40K that I would like.
A6 is very cool and build right (but it cost ~ 47-49K, this is tooo much for me)
MB C class is too small
A6, like all Audi's, rattles more than the TL, and unless you want to go w/ the S6 or the A6 4.2, TL is more powerful/faster.
are you sure you drove the M45? 0-60 in 5.3 and 1/4 in 13.8 is not exactly slow.

Any other way you will be paying a lot more than the TL.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:58 AM
FCO
7th Gear

Hi,

MB C class is too small
You might want to consider a G-35. Little bit rougher ride, but put together better and what a fabulous engine. Makes mincemeat of the TL.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by kennyc
A6, like all Audi's, rattles more than the TL, and unless you want to go w/ the S6 or the A6 4.2, TL is more powerful/faster.
are you sure you drove the M45? 0-60 in 5.3 and 1/4 in 13.8 is not exactly slow.

Any other way you will be paying a lot more than the TL.
It was typo in my post.
I tried M35. It is very - very slow car.
Not even close to TL.

A6 which I tried in dealership was quite as it must be.
A6 built in Germany. They have much more
educated workers who does care about their job and final product

UNIONsin Germany has less power= more quality.
Here in USA worker may do less and still be safe (f. UNION)

-----
Old 01-20-2006, 12:47 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

It was typo in my post.
I tried M35. It is very - very slow car.
Not even close to TL.

A6 which I tried in dealership was quite as it must be.
A6 built in Germany. They have much more
educated workers who does care about their job and final product

UNIONsin Germany has less power= more quality.
Here in USA worker may do less and still be safe (f. UNION)
Yup! union sucks!

I think these days rattle has more to do with the design of the parts than shoddy assembly lines.

My Audi definitely rattles a lot more than the TL, so is my friend's S4, my brother's TT, and another friend's A8.

They are all built in Germany.

One more thing, Honda's plants in the US do not have unions.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:51 PM
The closet is for wimps

When you spend 30000+ on a car, you expect and deserve better.
Oh, you can easily spend that much and a lot more on a car and have a lot more than just rattles to deal with.