FUUUU-> Trans just went out... Fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jda123
You don't want them to open up your tranny. I would be shocked if any of them could even use a meter to check resting resistance on a switch. They are part swappers and instruction followers. Let them do what they are good at.

Don't forget that the new tranny will likely have all of the old externals on it - the switches still need to be done.
Hrm, thats something I have been wondering since I got my new tranny.
1. How Do you Know this?
2. For being a remanufactured tranny, I would imagine it still carries some warranty right?

I was so currious to find out if they used all of my old so called "used but still good" switches, that I asked to see my old tranny once it was out of the car. & yep, all the old switches were still on it. SO HOW DO WE KNOW FOR SURE THEY ARE THE OLD USERS SWITCHES? (Olds user, as in previous vehicle the tranny failed on before it went to honda's reman. facility)
Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
they should come with the new tranny and be seen as a part of the failure. Acura should replace all the externals to atleast be able to put warranty of their equipment... but thats too smart for some people so double check everything
Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
You could call the dealer and ask them. If they say that they are pre-owned, then you know for sure. If they say that they are all new, then you still don't know since I would not trust the service manager. Acura won't even acknowledge that the switches are a fail point. As far as they are concerned, they last forever.

My accord tranny (from the 1990s) and my sister's odyssey tranny had the old externals put back from her same car, so perhaps I am overreaching.

No, I don't know for sure... but that is the point.

Is it really worth the risk? They are 80 bucks and about 15 minutes.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
^agreed...but whats with the "5" switches csmeace?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by csmeance
Good news! Honda got in contact with the dealer and said that I have to pay $850 and that they would cover the rest of the 4500 for a new transmission! Looks like the TL is going to stay with me for another couple of years

Props to Honda and Acura!
WOW, this is for an 04 TL? You are way out of warranty right?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
great news!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:15 PM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear they are replacing the broken trannies but they still didn't own up to what's causing the failures in the first place.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
You don't want them to open up your tranny. I would be shocked if any of them could even use a meter to check resting resistance on a switch. They are part swappers and instruction followers. Let them do what they are good at.

Don't forget that the new tranny will likely have all of the old externals on it - the switches still need to be done.
I spoke to them and it's a remanufactured transmission with new switches on it. I won't need to replace them so there's some even better news!

Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS
Hrm, thats something I have been wondering since I got my new tranny.
1. How Do you Know this?
2. For being a remanufactured tranny, I would imagine it still carries some warranty right?

I was so currious to find out if they used all of my old so called "used but still good" switches, that I asked to see my old tranny once it was out of the car. & yep, all the old switches were still on it. SO HOW DO WE KNOW FOR SURE THEY ARE THE OLD USERS SWITCHES? (Olds user, as in previous vehicle the tranny failed on before it went to honda's reman. facility)
New warranty is 3yrs/36K on the transmission. The "old" switches in the trans may be ones that were cleaned or re-calibrated from the previous car it was in.

Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS
^agreed...but whats with the "5" switches csmeace?
I was going to go gung-ho and put in all new switches for all the gears (1-5) so I wouldn't have a problem in the future, but acura's already doing that for me!

Originally Posted by myblack04tl
WOW, this is for an 04 TL? You are way out of warranty right?
I had an extended warranty from them that expired a little bit ago, but a transmission shouldn't be failing at 100K, esp on a honda product. I'm just glad that they stepped up to the plate and did the right thing and covered quite a bit of the cost. I've been a honda man in the past and I will continue to be one in the future

Originally Posted by ACTROS
Good to hear they are replacing the broken trannies but they still didn't own up to what's causing the failures in the first place.
I'm sure acura is keeping a log of what parts are failing on the transmissions when they get them back and probably keeping tabs on what may become a future lawsuit or something. Either way, they've been good to tons of folks with the dashes and now the transmissions!

Props to Honda/Acura
Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Did you buy your car new? If so, then isn't it covered for just your deductible up to 105K with the 5% mileage settlement.

Anyway, good news.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I'm sure acura is keeping a log of what parts are failing on the transmissions when they get them back and probably keeping tabs on what may become a future lawsuit or something. Either way, they've been good to tons of folks with the dashes and now the transmissions!

Props to Honda/Acura

I'm sure part of the reason they've been so good to people is because of the potential for legal action.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I just had my 06 tranny replaced at 69K under warranty. pressure switches were new. they used the Z1 not their newer fluid.

I would make sure you get something in writing about the 3years 36K. Its my understanding that that is the warranty if you pay for it. If $850 equals paying for it thats great, but if its repaired under warranty its 12months 12K.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Did you buy your car new? If so, then isn't it covered for just your deductible up to 105K with the 5% mileage settlement.

Anyway, good news.
The emissions portion is until 105K, however I did have an acuracare warranty until December 2010 or 102K miles. I would have fallen into the mileage portion with the extension, but it happened 2 months after the warranty expired. Either way, 850 is a lot better than having to pay close to 5K for a new transmission.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts

Of all the cars to fail... I know you are meticulous when it comes to care and maintenance. Cracked dash now failed tranny. It would have been nice to know what the issue was. I'm sure we can narrow it down from your clues though.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Did you ever find out what caused your tranny to fail?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 3gstealth
Did you ever find out what caused your tranny to fail?
no, honda won't let the dealers take the trans apart, just swap in a new one. I'm picking up the car later today! The tech who I wanted to work on my car just finished it up!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Suzuka Master

^ ask the tech for the codes that were thrown on the tranny if you have the chance. Also ask if they used the Z1 or the new DW fluid. Any plans on going to racing fluid? I will be waiting another few hundred miles then make the switch on my new trans. about 1500 miles for break in.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pohljm
^ ask the tech for the codes that were thrown on the tranny if you have the chance. Also ask if they used the Z1 or the new DW fluid. Any plans on going to racing fluid? I will be waiting another few hundred miles then make the switch on my new trans. about 1500 miles for break in.
It was the new DW-1 fluid since they didn't have any Z-1 Left. The tech said code was either P0740 or P0780 when I last spoke to him, I'll ask again when I go to be sure.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
AJ- Glad to hear that you are being taken care of.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

It was the new DW-1 fluid since they didn't have any Z-1 Left. The tech said code was either P0740 or P0780 when I last spoke to him, I'll ask again when I go to be sure.
my fault codes were P0741 and P0722 for internal failure of transmission
Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had bought my switches few months back and had never replaced them yet but will do this when I go in for my next schedule maintenance. The switches I have are made in China

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The only thing that would be relevant here is where the switches are made and if there's a difference in each model. My stock and replacement switches were Texas Instruments. I know where they used to be made but I have no idea if they're made over here anymore.

Any other trans parts do not matter because it's the fluid and electronics causing the failures, not the actual internal trans parts.

You might try posting your questions in the big switches thread.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are these "simple mods" and are they easy to do?
thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by ski and destroy
thanks
Hey, your PM box is full....
Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 PM

noobs can't receive PMs

or people who don't clean out their inbox.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by ski and destroy
thanks
I had a much more detailed response in the PM but here's the short of it.

Type F fluid and new pressure switches at least every 3 years regardless of mileage. Do these two mods and you won't have to think about the AT anymore. My mine and Inaccurate's estimation you're reducing clutch wear by over 70% with these two things. My magnetic drain plug is almost perfectly clean when I change the fluid now vs being almost double it's original size with metal shavings with Z1.

Originally Posted by Majofo
noobs can't receive PMs

or people who don't clean out their inbox.
I hate those guys lol. I've tried to be a little more pro-active but I seriously answer as many PMs as I do threads and most are exactly the same questions on the fluid and switches. Sometimes I leave it full so I can have a break. I can't help but answer people because eventually I feel guilty and end up answering.

Definitely going to write up a FAQ that can be stickied soon. Maybe you and Inaccurate could help... I'm sure with your EE background you could provide some useful insight to the failure mode of the switches and other things.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:27 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
How did you get Acura to pay for most of the cost? You were out of warrenty weren't you?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ruby
How did you get Acura to pay for most of the cost? You were out of warrenty weren't you?
My Service Advisor spoke to them and worked out something. The car has always been serviced at this one dealer, I bought another Acura MDX from them that was lemoned and replaced with a new one (honda came through beautifully on that as well). Then I had the dash issue with the TL and honda agreed that it shouldn't be happening esp with the way the car has been taken care of and they paid for it's replacement. I was so happy with them I bought a Honda Accord as a city car.

Then this happened and I told the SA that spending 1K on the 105K service along with 5K for a new transmission was going to be tough since the car is 6 years old and it probably wouldn't be worth it. The SA passed this all along to honda and they agreed that I pay for some of it and they cover the rest.

IMO honda has been and is still a great company. If someone I know ever needed a new car and they were comparing pricing and this and that, I'd tell them my story with them and how I was treated as a customer. A company stepping up past warranty is worth more to me and probably many others than saving 1K upfront.

I've been a customer for life and I'm sure my family will be customers for life after the way honda has taken care of us time and time again!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Hey Csmeance, which tech did you want to have work on your car? Ill be getting my trans replaced soon at courtesy acura as I just got the thumbs up from acura client service that I will only be paying 1200 from my pocket since Im out of warranty. If you could give me any future advice I would appreciate it.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 05 AT at 104k. after replacing my cv axle last saturday. it wasnt long and i noticed the trans slipping. i was thinking it was my fault (maybe i didnt seat that axle in all the way?) but just checked the fluid and kept an eye on it. sunday afternoon the tranny light comes on so i run by advance and do diagnostics. it gave me code p0741 torque converter clutch solenoid circuit performance stuck or off. called the dealership and learned as you said that acura doesnt open their trannys to fix internal problems.
i originally noticed it slipping when taking off with the wheel turned to the left. i changed the cv on that side? :/ it downshifts early in automatic occasionally and hesitates to shift up unless it hits exactly 3500 even then doesnt shift smoothly. although if i drive using the slap shift it seems to do better. and especially does better if i treat it like a stick (i.e. i let off the gas as if i have a clutch when shifting) any theories?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by shatnurface
i have an 05 AT at 104k. after replacing my cv axle last saturday. it wasnt long and i noticed the trans slipping. i was thinking it was my fault (maybe i didnt seat that axle in all the way?) but just checked the fluid and kept an eye on it. sunday afternoon the tranny light comes on so i run by advance and do diagnostics. it gave me code p0741 torque converter clutch solenoid circuit performance stuck or off. called the dealership and learned as you said that acura doesnt open their trannys to fix internal problems.
i originally noticed it slipping when taking off with the wheel turned to the left. i changed the cv on that side? :/ it downshifts early in automatic occasionally and hesitates to shift up unless it hits exactly 3500 even then doesnt shift smoothly. although if i drive using the slap shift it seems to do better. and especially does better if i treat it like a stick (i.e. i let off the gas as if i have a clutch when shifting) any theories?
You should start your own thread, but I'm guessing you did a single drain and fill when you replaced the driveshaft?