FUUUU-> Trans just went out... Fun

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
FUUUU-> Trans just went out... Fun

I'm driving along in the city and I'm going to make a left turn. Traffic clears and I press on the gas to go forward and the car turns and refuses to go over 20. I let off and get back on the gas again thinking my thinking its the APP sensor acting up.

Now the car violently jerks, smokes come from the tail pipe and its freely revving. I stop the car, put it in drive, restart it and it's in limp mode. I limped it to the parking lot where I'm waiting on a Tow. It's fun typing on Azine from a phone

What irks me is that I've done the fluid changes (with Z1 though) religiously almost every other oil change and as well the car gave no indication of it (no slipping, etc). I'm just hoping it's electrical but may be SOL since the D light isn't flashing and there's no CEL light on.

Fun way to start the weekend... But I do have to applaud my dealer and SA, called them and they said that they'd have a loaner ready and a tech ready to figure it out as soon as I come in! Props to Courtesy Acura and Angela Disco in Service!

Maybe this is a sign, 105K service in less than 500 miles...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:19 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
this is bad news since you did preventative maintenance with the z1 tranny fluid changes. did you change out the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches before too? keep us updated.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
damn... did you do the 3rd and 4th gear sensors?? hope its not the tranny...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Happy 13712?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
sucks!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Well, with an 04 at 105K, you're certainly in the window for an APP sensor failure...Hope it's nothing more serious than that..
Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Please keep us posted when you get the diagnosis. How long did you go before you had the oil jet recall? Good luck getting your baby up and running. I hope its nothing too serious.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Old 02-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 3gstealth
Please keep us posted when you get the diagnosis. How long did you go before you had the oil jet recall? Good luck getting your baby up and running. I hope its nothing too serious.
The car was not in the recall campaign for the oil jet. Acura took a peek at it for a little bit before sending it to the back lot until their head tech comes in and has time to look properly at it. So far they have said it looks like a "complete" failure but I doubt it.

I'll keep you guys posted as I hear stuff. Also no, I did not do the 3rd and 4th gear switches, I was ordering them today along with the 105K parts.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
They're going to tell you it's a complete failure regardless because they lack the skills to diagnose and even if they knew what was wrong they probably couldn't fix it. It would be nice if it were just the electronics though.

With that said, sorry to hear this. I'm right behind you in mileage and it seems like there's a new failure every day. I wonder if we should make the "racing atf" and "pressure switch" threads a sticky or write up a summary of both threads as a sticky.

Not that it matters now but if you plan to keep it, the switches seem to go bad every few years regardless of mileage. I'm not too far from replacing mine a second time. Just do that and the Type F fluid and you'll never have another failure.

To some of the others, oil jet kit addresses the second gear, gear lube issues. The normal failure mode is a trans lockup so it's not likely this is the cause.

Good luck with it. Looking forward to the updates.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by I hate cars
They're going to tell you it's a complete failure regardless because they lack the skills to diagnose and even if they knew what was wrong they probably couldn't fix it. It would be nice if it were just the electronics though.

With that said, sorry to hear this. I'm right behind you in mileage and it seems like there's a new failure every day. I wonder if we should make the "racing atf" and "pressure switch" threads a sticky or write up a summary of both threads as a sticky.

Not that it matters now but if you plan to keep it, the switches seem to go bad every few years regardless of mileage. I'm not too far from replacing mine a second time. Just do that and the Type F fluid and you'll never have another failure.

To some of the others, oil jet kit addresses the second gear, gear lube issues. The normal failure mode is a trans lockup so it's not likely this is the cause.

I hope their lead tech or whatever can actually diagnose it because it seems very odd that the car would just drop into neutral like that, and then stay in 1st and 2nd gear only. I hope its the 3rd gear pressure switch that failed and thus isn't allowing the car to shift into 3rd and above gears. But then again there was that burning smell so I'm hoping that something else didn't go...

Either way, if acura says that I have to fork out 4K for a new trans and then another 1K for the 105K service, it may be the end of the road for the TL and maybe even honda depending on how they handle it...
Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by csmeance
I hope their lead tech or whatever can actually diagnose it because it seems very odd that the car would just drop into neutral like that, and then stay in 1st and 2nd gear only. I hope its the 3rd gear pressure switch that failed and thus isn't allowing the car to shift into 3rd and above gears. But then again there was that burning smell so I'm hoping that something else didn't go...

Either way, if acura says that I have to fork out 4K for a new trans and then another 1K for the 105K service, it may be the end of the road for the TL and maybe even honda depending on how they handle it...
That's what I was worried about. Potential $5,000+ in a 100,000 mile car. I hope you keep it and if you don't, I hope you continue moderating over here. Too bad you're on the other side of the country. I'm getting ready to do a couple free (minus parts) timing belt jobs for some members.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
reading treads like that... i am about to sell my Acura TL-S... it seams that sooner or later everybady have problems with acura's transmission...
Old 02-26-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Not good...I'm almost at 81K and seeing all these trans failures has me rather nervous.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm Craig

I'm slowly falling out of love with my car as I keep noticing more and more flaws. I sometimes just have to step back and realize there are greater issues to worry about and that many people would be ecstatic to own my car. Just is bothersome caring for an object so much only to have it spit in your face and dig in your wallet.

Last edited by cjTL; 02-26-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Team Owner

Guys, this has been gone over literally hundreds of times. Change the switches and use the Type F fluid and you will have no failures. There is nothing to worry about if you do this. Look at how many people have had a shuddering trans that was about to be rebuilt that the fluid and switches saved. There have been no failures of any transmissions on this board with this fluid and switch combo which is amazing considering most of them were originally switched over because they were already experiencing signs of excessive wear on the Z1. The only reason anyone would have to worry is if they have not done these simple "mods".

We now know the cause of all of the failures, we know the cure, and yet people still aren't doing them and they're posting about selling their car because of potential problems. It makes no sense.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

o just wonder if TL-S transmission are stronger than the regular tl. I heard that tl-s have MDX transmissions. I think Rl's have same transmission and i never heard RL's transmission gone bad.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
o just wonder if TL-S transmission are stronger than the regular tl. I heard that tl-s have MDX transmissions. I think Rl's have same transmission and i never heard RL's transmission gone bad.
Stronger as in will take more and vehicle weight without breaking, probably. But a fluid with too much friction modifier (z1) causing clutch slippage along with switches that go bad every few years causing more clutch slippage will destroy any trans. No trans no matter how strong is immune to these two problems. That's why it's still important even for the TL-S guys to still do these two mods. Once you do this, you won't have to worry about the trans anymore.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Stronger as in will take more and vehicle weight without breaking, probably. But a fluid with too much friction modifier (z1) causing clutch slippage along with switches that go bad every few years causing more clutch slippage will destroy any trans. No trans no matter how strong is immune to these two problems. That's why it's still important even for the TL-S guys to still do these two mods. Once you do this, you won't have to worry about the trans anymore.
Maybe you know why RL's transmissions dont have same problems? Just Tl's, maybe because it is American made cars...... Not Japan quality.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Team Owner

Maybe you know why RL's transmissions dont have same problems? Just Tl's, maybe because it is American made cars...... Not Japan quality.
That's waaaay off base. RLs do have the same problem, just not as often. A fluid and switch problem has nothing to do with where the transmissions were assembled.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

That's waaaay off base. RLs do have the same problem, just not as often. A fluid and switch problem has nothing to do with where the transmissions were assembled.
Question is where switches where made, or other transmission parts were made??? For example alot people here, have problem with "tighten fuel cap" message and it is know that is due Purge Contol Valve (Very common problem). Valve is made in Mexico, rl's have same part and once again, i never heard that rl's would have same problem. Just example... By the way replacement that i order for Purge Contol Valve was made in Japan.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Team Owner

The only thing that would be relevant here is where the switches are made and if there's a difference in each model. My stock and replacement switches were Texas Instruments. I know where they used to be made but I have no idea if they're made over here anymore.

Any other trans parts do not matter because it's the fluid and electronics causing the failures, not the actual internal trans parts.

You might try posting your questions in the big switches thread.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-Csmeance, sorry to hear about your tranny trouble, keep us posted!

My 04 TL only has 30K miles or so with no issues but I switched to Amsoil ATF at 20K service.

-dzionny, just fyi, both the 6MT and 5AT TL trannies are made in Japan, per window sticker part content info.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ACTROS

My 04 TL only has 30K miles or so with no issues but I switched to Amsoil ATF at 20K service.

-dzionny, just fyi, both the 6MT and 5AT TL trannies are made in Japan, per window sticker part content info.
engine made in Japan too, but i guess some valves, sensors ar not.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

IHC how often you suggest to change switches, to avoid transmission failure?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm Craig

IHC is going to go ape if he has to answer another switch related question. Short answer: do it now.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Team Owner

Lol. You should see how many of the exact same PMs I answer each day. I suggest at least every 3 years. Looking at some of the other failure threads, time seems to be more important than mileage.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Around 50-60k miles, earlier if you want.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 AM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
engine made in Japan too, but i guess some valves, sensors ar not.
The engine is made in USA. At least 65% of all TL parts are made in Canada/US.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ACTROS

Just found my tl-s window sticker. It is saying: Engine made in USA, Transmission made in USA. I called my buddy and he said that his car's sticker is saying that engine made in Japan. I guess varies because your transmission is made in Japan and mine in USA.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

I spoke to my service adviser and was told that the trans is giving an internal failure code with nothing really specific. They said that they won't open it up otherwise honda won't accept it back for core return on a replacement. She's emailed the regional rep. to see if I can get some help with it esp. since the car has been mainatained better than what's required and as well always at the same dealer with the same few techs working on it.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
mine went out 4 weeks ago at 102,500!. AND I ALSO HAD THE DEALER DO ALL THE REQUIRED MAINTENANCE!. They too did not open it up, and just called it "FAILED"
Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS
mine went out 4 weeks ago at 102,500!. AND I ALSO HAD THE DEALER DO ALL THE REQUIRED MAINTENANCE!. They too did not open it up, and just called it "FAILED"
Sorry to hear about that, I'm waiting on a call back from my dealer. Going to try to speak to the tech and see if I can get the exact DTC code and figure it out with the Factory Manual and see if it's not a clogged sensor or stuck fork or something...
Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 05 with 99300 miles just took a crap two weeks ago. Dealer replaced trans, power steering pump and side mirror actuator. Total cost around $5000, all covered under extended warranty. Never did fluid or switches. Going to let the new trans break-in for a few hundred miles then replace fluid with redline. Hope it works out for you.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:09 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Sorry to hear about that, I'm waiting on a call back from my dealer. Going to try to speak to the tech and see if I can get the exact DTC code and figure it out with the Factory Manual and see if it's not a clogged sensor or stuck fork or something...

Good luck my friend. I did a 3x1 recently in hopes of making this tranny last for another 100k at least!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS
Good luck my friend. I did a 3x1 recently in hopes of making this tranny last for another 100k at least!
If honda helps me out with a new trans (4500 for the trans, the 1500 for 105K service) to make it reasonable to keep the car, as soon as I get it past it's break in, I'm going Type F Lightweight on it and switching out all 5 pressure switches!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Good news! Honda got in contact with the dealer and said that I have to pay $850 and that they would cover the rest of the 4500 for a new transmission! Looks like the TL is going to stay with me for another couple of years

Props to Honda and Acura!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

if that was with the 105K service, It would be great. but 850 for a new tranny is still good.

Just thinking of all the A/t failures.... (known to Az) and its freaking crazy...

I hate cars should present something to acura about the pressure switches being part of the maintenance plan and get $$.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
You don't want them to open up your tranny. I would be shocked if any of them could even use a meter to check resting resistance on a switch. They are part swappers and instruction followers. Let them do what they are good at.

Don't forget that the new tranny will likely have all of the old externals on it - the switches still need to be done.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Originally Posted by jda123
You don't want them to open up your tranny. I would be shocked if any of them could even use a meter to check resting resistance on a switch. They are part swappers and instruction followers. Let them do what they are good at.

Don't forget that the new tranny will likely have all of the old externals on it - the switches still need to be done.

Definitely check that.

Quick Reply: FUUUU-> Trans just went out... Fun