Front Window Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Window Grinding Noise

Hi All,

I have an 06 TL which has about 50K miles. I had my front tinting (including felt) removed and replaced due to a fix-it ticket. Coincidentally, right before I had the tinting replaced I noticed a bunch of ashes laying on the window due to the forest fires in So Cal.....which I never cleaned off (I'm a bad owner, I know).

So after my tinting was removed (but before it was replaced) both my windows simultaneously started having the same problem. They would lower, making a grinding noise towards the bottom. Then upon hitting the auto-up button they would go up about 2 inches, then back down. After playing with them a while I would finally get them back up. I replaced the tinting and the felt and the tinting guy sprayed W-40 along the side but the problem persists and seems to be getting worse.

Here are several theories after reading through posts:

1) Bad regulator (indicated by a service bulletin)
2) Needs silicon lube (on the internal track?)
3) Contamination/dirt on the track (my theory was the fire ashes)....

The thing that has me the most curious is that this happened to both windows at the exact same time....

Just wanted to arm myself with any info anyone has before I go to the dealer....

Sorry for the lengthy story.....please help!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
06 6mt A-Spec Navi

Originally Posted by Tullie
Hi All,

I have an 06 TL which has about 50K miles. I had my front tinting (including felt) removed and replaced due to a fix-it ticket. Coincidentally, right before I had the tinting replaced I noticed a bunch of ashes laying on the window due to the forest fires in So Cal.....which I never cleaned off (I'm a bad owner, I know).

So after my tinting was removed (but before it was replaced) both my windows simultaneously started having the same problem. They would lower, making a grinding noise towards the bottom. Then upon hitting the auto-up button they would go up about 2 inches, then back down. After playing with them a while I would finally get them back up. I replaced the tinting and the felt and the tinting guy sprayed W-40 along the side but the problem persists and seems to be getting worse.

The thing that has me the most curious is that this happened to both windows at the exact same time....

Just wanted to arm myself with any info anyone has before I go to the dealer....

Try cleaning the track and put some lube on it first. My girlfriend had an RSX with the same problem so my friend at the dealer did that and the problem went away. I also had a GTP before my TL that the auto would not work but it turned out the track was rusting away.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Cruisin'

Just to be clear, when we say "track" are we talking about the track the two sides of the window presumabley slide into (inside the door panel) or do you mean the pulley / cable system? My tinting guy thought that maybe the plastic pulley was deteriorating, but that was just his theory....

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tullie
Hi All,

X2... I have the same problem... but just on my passenger front window, but it comes and goes.... If the window doesn't come up on the auto, just hold the switch up in the manual zone... The first click I guess you'd say, before it gets to the second click for the auto feature.

but what causes the grinding noise???
Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
My regulator went bad in the front drivers door and was replaced under warranty. Made a grinding noise for sure. I don't think it was going to fail but it sure was annoying. Would not have done it on my own nickel. The left rear is starting to do it now.

If you have tinted there is a good chance the dealer will blame the tint. Depending on the tint job they may, or may not, have a valid point.