Flashing D I guess I need closure from you guys...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flashing D I guess I need closure from you guys...

Ok my fello AcZiners this is my first time posting here greetings to all you guys, love this site and all it has to offer...
Heres my problem I just brought a 2004 acura TL about 2months ago, beautiful car and I love it ok heres where the plot thickins, about 2 days ago I was on a date I was in manual mode and in 1st and it shifted into 2nd and it just didnt feel right it felt like it misshifted shortly after my D light begins to flash... but the car is driving fine we got to where we were going I parked turned the car off and that was that. On the way back to her house car drove fine just like it always does no D light flashing shifted pretty smoothly.
Now today I was going to the post office car drove just like it normally does but on the way back home I felt a misshift (or what I think is a misshift) and the D light flashes again but the car drove normally no lost in power (but Im sure I am losing power). I think I know what this is hittin for Im gonna a remaned tranny... I was gonna take it to the dealer to get the 3x3 tranny procedure done this weekend but Im reading that if your fluid is already brown and smells burnt that your pretty much fucked... The car is outta warranty with 87k on the O. I guess Im just lookin for alil closer from you guys that my tranny is on its way out and I need to start saving for a rebuild... Im pretty much saddened by this because this is a beautiful car with a weak tranny why would honda do this?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by IcouldsleepnmyTL
Ok my fello AcZiners this is my first time posting here greetings to all you guys, love this site and all it has to offer...
Heres my problem I just brought a 2004 acura TL about 2months ago, beautiful car and I love it ok heres where the plot thickins, about 2 days ago I was on a date I was in manual mode and in 1st and it shifted into 2nd and it just didnt feel right it felt like it misshifted shortly after my D light begins to flash... but the car is driving fine we got to where we were going I parked turned the car off and that was that. On the way back to her house car drove fine just like it always does no D light flashing shifted pretty smoothly.
Now today I was going to the post office car drove just like it normally does but on the way back home I felt a misshift (or what I think is a misshift) and the D light flashes again but the car drove normally no lost in power (but Im sure I am losing power).
But I think it only happens when I get on the car. I think I know what this is hittin for Im gonna a remaned tranny... I was gonna take it to the dealer to get the 3x3 tranny procedure done this weekend but Im reading that if your fluid is already brown and smells burnt that your pretty much fucked... The car is outta warranty with 87k on the O. I guess Im just lookin for alil closer from you guys that my tranny is on its way out and I need to start saving for a rebuild... Im pretty much saddened by this because this is a beautiful car with a weak tranny why would honda do this?!?!?!?!?!?!
And would a 3x3 procedure even help me get anymore life outta my tranny?

Last edited by csmeance; 06-08-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have encountered what you are going through. Here is the link to the thread that I have posted and some possible tasks that you can do if you haven't done so already.

My transmissions is going well so far, but I know that the damage has been done. So far the only thing that has been done to my car is the ATF change. I have already ordered the parts to change the transmissions filter and the pressure switches (which should be coming today!) and will have to install those items this weekend.

I'm hoping that my transmissions will last for a little while, but like I said, damage has been done.

Hope that helps some.
The following users liked this post:
IcouldsleepnmyTL (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
flashing D usually signals a new tranny in your future. get the codes read and see what they are. perhaps Acura will goodwill a portion of your repair bill as these tranny failures are beginning to be more frequent it seems.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Thanks fellas Im gonna look up that link...
And pohljm how do I get them to goodwill anything? Im here in jersey and the last time I visited the dealer was for the serial number for my NAVI and the guy at his desk said very blatantly and In a IDC type tone "Its $120 to have our technician remove the dvd console from the trunk".
Should I throw my weight around lol?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Dajon I dont see the link
Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the link is the word "link" in his post.. put your cursor over it and it'll change to a hand...
Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Give the fluid a try. It cannot hurt. Get some Mobil 1 Synthetic from any auto parts store and put it in - it is in a grey bottle and says Z1 substitute on the back. For less than $25, it might buy you some time.

Pay attention to the debris on the plug when you do the change. Lots of debris is not a good thing.

It is also possible (trying to be positive) that the blinking light is just a sensor going out.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Thanks fellas I have a appointment at the dealer on saturday...
I know Im not gonna have time to do the 3x3 myself and most likely by the time I get off work Ill be doing it in the dark. So to acura she goes...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Thanks fellas I have a appointment at the dealer on saturday...
I know Im not gonna have time to do the 3x3 myself and most likely by the time I get off work Ill be doing it in the dark. So to acura she goes...
Relax buddy, a blinking D light means that the car has detected a problem with the transmission. I had the D light start blinking in my MDX and I took it in to only find out that the 5th gear pressure switch was putting out a voltage that was out of range. They replaced it and it's been good since! Make sure your dealer calls you and tells you the code and it's meaning before proceeding with any repairs!

It could be something as simple as a pressure switch or something a bit more complex but it doesn't mean FOR SURE that you will need a new transmission.

As far as fluid being changed, when was the last time the fluid was changed? If it has NEVER been changed, more than likely some debris got into a sensor or something. I'd suggest you do a 1 x 3 fluid change and see how the car drives for a few days. SAVE THE OLD FLUID FOR A BIT! If the car drives worse, put back in the old fluid and it should help out. If it drives fine then do another 1 x 3 and do the same! If it's good do the last 1x3 and you'll be set!

I suggest you use Redline D4 instead of the redline racing as it meets Acura specs for Z-1.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Ok heres a update I drove the car yesterday no blinking D light, car shifted perfectly... Although I did pull the dipstick the fluid is brownish and smells abit burnt...
csmeance I dont know the last time the fluid was changed I am the 3rd owner. I can trace the car fax back to the original owner who had service done on the car by the dealer but the 2nd own I dont think had service done I mean oil changes are up there but other than that nothing...
Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Did they try to pull any codes? ...or does the TCM not keep stored codes? If they still have it, ask them why they did not pull any codes from when it acted up before.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

My bad. I thought that the dealer had driven the car. Sorry about that.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jda123
My bad. I thought that the dealer had driven the car. Sorry about that.
oooo no the car hasnt seen the dealer yet, but Im curious how can they pull codes if nothing is lit or flashing? Will the OBDII recognize whats automatically wrong and search for the code?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
The car stores any codes generated. The dealer can retrieve them from the computer.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
oooo no the car hasnt seen the dealer yet, but Im curious how can they pull codes if nothing is lit or flashing? Will the OBDII recognize whats automatically wrong and search for the code?

It's not more a generic OBDII code, it's a specific honda code that has to be pulled from the HDS (honda diagnostic system).
Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-- i had this same problem 3 months ago on my 05 tL w/ nav... && just by reading through some of the threads, i figured I was doomed & would have to replace the tranny. I took it to a local transmission shop && what do you know... it was ONE of the four sensors that are in the tranny that deal with the manual shifting mode... $54 dollars later & a transmission flush -- everything works perfect ;o) -- hope this helps!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Jennifernc21
-- i had this same problem 3 months ago on my 05 tL w/ nav... && just by reading through some of the threads, i figured I was doomed & would have to replace the tranny. I took it to a local transmission shop && what do you know... it was ONE of the four sensors that are in the tranny that deal with the manual shifting mode... $54 dollars later & a transmission flush -- everything works perfect ;o) -- hope this helps!
That's great that you took it to an independent shop. The dealer basically replaces whole transmissions for blinking lights with absolutely no diagnosis. Acura is the last place to go for transmission repairs unless you can get it covered under warranty.

To the OP, it sounds electrical. Keep in mind that just a couple seconds of clutch slip in an auto can destroy it. I would make it a priority to get the problem fixed asap. The trans could be mechanically perfect and an electrical issue can wear it out in a few miles.

This is the common failure mode of the Honda 5at. The old 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches allow slow soft shifts which wear the clutches out prematurely. It's an electrical problem causing a mechanical failure.

Regardless of what the problem is, you NEED to replace the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches and run a Type-F fluid like Redline Racing or Amsoil Super Shift. This will greatly prolong the trans life. Pressure switches should be done every couple years regardless of mileage.