Feels like out of balance/bent rim...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
Feels like out of balance/bent rim...

just got an 07 auto with 36K a couple months ago...

my problem is, especially in the AM(the first few miles driven), it feels as if my front driver side wheel has a bend or the tire is out of balance...it doesn't feel nearly as bad after a few miles. something gets lubricated/warmed up and feeling *sorta* goes away...but not completely.
so naturally, the first thing i did was rotate my wheels thinking thinking/hoping it would go away and that would pinpoint that specific wheel with the issue. No such luck, of course.
What else would give me an out of balance or bent rim type feeling? I don't think it's flat spots b/c the car didn't sit too long at dealer before i bought it. tires are practically new too.
where should i start? any bushings? Im even willing to swap out front struts and get an alignment at this point, but i feel like i shouldn't need new struts at 38K(now)...
please help with some suggestions... i'm stumped

pic...b/c what's a thread without a pic right?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
bad tires. get new tires and ask for a road force balance
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Tires don't have to sit a long time to flat spot ... they can do it over nite in the cold .. but it goes away after they warm from driving.

I have left cars sit all winter and they don't flat spot .

How do you know its front drivers side?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
bad tires. get new tires and ask for a road force balance
practically brand new tires... i think i'll deal with it till they wear out before i spend $600 on new tires...
thanks for the suggestion though, i'll definitely look into the road force balance for next set.
can most/all tire shops do the road force balance, or do i have to bring to Acura for this type of balance?

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Tires don't have to sit a long time to flat spot ... they can do it over nite in the cold .. but it goes away after they warm from driving.

I have left cars sit all winter and they don't flat spot .

How do you know its front drivers side?
yes, you're right... it does go away(mostly) after a few miles of warming up. But mine doesn't completely go away...still think it may be flat spotting?

front drivers side..just feels it's coming from that corner. i've been in driver and passenger seat and i think i feel it more while driving.

thanks for suggestions guys
Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
If you rotated your wheels ... front to back and it still feels like front driver side it sort of rules out the tires unless all flat spot and that usually doesn't happen.

Front you should feel in the steering wheel .. rear in the seat.

Road force refers to a type of machine .. Hunter road force balancer. If you do a search on google you should be able to find thier site and in there a link to who locally has thier balancer.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
If you rotated your wheels ... front to back and it still feels like front driver side it sort of rules out the tires unless all flat spot and that usually doesn't happen.

Front you should feel in the steering wheel .. rear in the seat.

Road force refers to a type of machine .. Hunter road force balancer. If you do a search on google you should be able to find thier site and in there a link to who locally has thier balancer.
yeah i rotated front to back... i don't feel anything in steering wheel at all
and it happens if i'm accelerating or just coasting...so that rules out a couple other things too.

maybe i'll locate a road force balancer and start there...?

so weird. i thought for sure once i rotated, i'd be able to pinpoint the issue...
don't know where to start.
thanks for all the advice!!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

after a search on hunter.com, seems like most places has the straighttrak, but the road force is few and far between...
i see the local toyota and subaru dealer has the road force. no mention of Acura