Fast, small amplitude vibrations at brake pedal - track pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Fast, small amplitude vibrations at brake pedal - track pads?

When I brake from any speed, doesn't matter 60- or 30- on a scale of 1-10, when i step on the brake pedal over 2, causes the pedal to vibrate, it kind of feels like a phone vibration. The frequency of vibration is so high maybe I can't tell the difference between faster and slower stops but to me they feel the same.

The vibration is accompanied by phone vibrating sound too...BZZZZZzzzzzzz(sound does not get quieter, but the pitch goes down as car slows down)

It's slotted rotor with carbotech xp10/8 brake pads. At first they didn't do this but now they do...
Is this normal? First time using full track pads.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drviper
When I brake from any speed, doesn't matter 60- or 30- on a scale of 1-10, when i step on the brake pedal over 2, causes the pedal to vibrate, it kind of feels like a phone vibration. The frequency of vibration is so high maybe I can't tell the difference between faster and slower stops but to me they feel the same.

The vibration is accompanied by phone vibrating sound too...BZZZZZzzzzzzz(sound does not get quieter, but the pitch goes down as car slows down)

It's slotted rotor with carbotech xp10/8 brake pads. At first they didn't do this but now they do...
Is this normal? First time using full track pads.
What just happened?

Don't really understand that whole sentence(s). A buzzing sound from your brakes is odd. I don't have Track/Race pads,however, have driven cars with full BBK and Race/Performance pads and never heard or felt any type of vibration. I wonder if the slotted rotors are gunking up with the pad material and causing some sounds.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:53 PM
:what:

Received 348 Likes on 249 Posts
This is frequently called the "derp effect". It happens when a "derp" runs race pads on the street.

If you record the sound and play it back in reverse slow motion it will say. "You are a derpy derp derp...stop driving me like a racecar and put mah stock pads back on."

But honestly...its making the noise because racecar.
The following users liked this post:
paperboy42190 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 AM
Burning Brakes

^ lol so it's normal right......?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 AM
:what:

Received 348 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drviper
^ lol so it's normal right......?
For you to be a derpy derp derp? Apparently.

For the pads to make noise? Im not aware of anyone else that has been derpy enough to run race pads on the skreet.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Burning Brakes

lol hahaha

It sounded like tire being worn weirdly cuz of braking, then I got new tires, and still sounds the same so I'm just guessing it's the pads.

btw xp10 isn't THAT tracky... it bites hard when cold.
harder than OEM
Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Wacker
This is frequently called the "derp effect". It happens when a "derp" runs race pads on the street.

If you record the sound and play it back in reverse slow motion it will say. "You are a derpy derp derp...stop driving me like a racecar and put mah stock pads back on."

But honestly...its making the noise because racecar.

This.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
So it can be felt in the pedal and heard outside of the car?

No noise under light braking but anything above that there's noise and it's regardless of speed?

The frequency you describe could only be from slots making noise, unless the tires are spinning 200+mph lol.

Race pads are no good for the street. I went through that phase. I was lucky, mine grabbed pretty good when cold but they had a squeak unlike anything I've ever heard. Even on the freeway at 70mph I could barely touch the brakes and scare cars next to me. It also wore the rotors very quickly because the transfer layer was gone.

If you plan to continue running race pads on the street you must bed them in every day or two. You don't want your rotors to be really shiny which I'm guessing they are. They should have a slightly dull appearance if there's still a transfer layer. Without the transfer layer, brake feel, performance, and rotor+pad wear suffer. They will last longer doing the harsh bed in every other day than running around with it pad on metal instead of pad on pad material.

I would inspect the rotors closely. Make sure there's no pad deposits, make sure there's no cracks. These are not drilled, right?

I had the airplane noise with my drilled and slotted Rotoras. It was worse with heavy braking and higher speeds. As the pads wore down it got louder. I don't remember feeling it in the pedal though.

One of the main reasons I still run a BBK even though I don't track the car anymore is it allows me to run a less aggressive pad and still have good performance. It allows better streetability, less compromises. If you find that you NEED race pads, I suggest upgrading the brakes to something larger (Excelerate has an awesome Stoptech 13" kit that's very reasonably priced) and running a good street pad and you'll likely still have less fade with the BBK and street pads than the stock size with race pads.
The following users liked this post:
4drviper (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
So it can be felt in the pedal and heard outside of the car?

felt in the pedal yes
heard outside? i don't know. I don't have enough "barriered" area to hear my own car. but I can definitely hear it in the cabin

No noise under light braking but anything above that there's noise and it's regardless of speed?

correct.
but it'd be more correct to say "buzzing noise and minute vibration under all braking except featherlight braking"

The frequency you describe could only be from slots making noise, unless the tires are spinning 200+mph lol.

I know LOL.
to describe the feeling in other words, it feels like the rotors are SLIGHTLY warped and braking from 200mph..............

I get the noise part. BUT, do the slots cause the little vibrations too?
(these are slot only rotor)

The rotors have about half of transfer layer left over.. (blue-grayish) and the other half is shiny-ish.
Also, no pad deposits (pad "stamps") of course not, I wasn't stupid enough to stop with glowy rotor.. lol....
I used to have squeaks but they weren't THAT bad. I mean they'd get the car noticed but nothing to frown upon. Squeaks are completely gone after initial green fade and 2 bed ins

I'll go check if I can hear it outside my car when my roommate gets back.
Reading your post, I guess you could say it kinda sounds like airplane noise too.. not quite but kidna yes.

Honestly I'm trying to save up 1.1k for the BBK you have and couple extra hundreds for titanium plate and entry-level race pads like autocross pads but it's taking a while.
I'm holding back on the SS braided hoses because I'll get them with the kit anyway.

okay random BBK question.
the kit you have is ST41 caliper. most people who swear by stoptech have ST60 or 40.
cuz the ST40 kit with 2pc is 1700, and ST41 kit with 1pc rotor is 1100... and rotors aren't $600 so the caliepers must be different somehow...
What made you get the ST41 kit over ST40 with 2pc rotor?

Last edited by 4drviper; 06-04-2013 at 06:28 PM.