Factory warranty running out, what things should I get checked out

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:12 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory warranty running out, what things should I get checked out

I have a 2008 TL non-nav that I bought in Dec 2009 Certified Preowned. I’m at 49,600 miles so I’m about to hit the 50k mark when my factory warranty runs out.

I am taking my car in this Friday to get some cabin rattles (doors, rear deck, etc) and to fix my sideview mirror which doesn’t move when you put it in reverse like it should.

I bought the car at 27k mi and have done minimal maintenance other than changing the oil every 6k miles with synthetic and rotating tires. Last time I rotated my tires they said my alignment was off a bit – will factory warranty cover that?

I’m a relatively young guy (24) and not very car savvy and I lost my father who was very knowledgeable before I could really learn from him about cars so I was hoping I could get some advice on what I should have them check out while I am still under factory warranty and also what other things I should be doing for my car. I plan on keeping it for quite some time.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
alignment, tires, brakes, some suspension...considered wear and tear. so no your alignment is not covered.

if you have CPO, isn't it covered until 100K/7yr?? i could totally be wrong unless it came with the car.

the rattles, yes, those will be covered. honda/acuras are pretty reliable for the most part if properly taken care of. so i dont' think you are going to find too many things wrong with the car to take care of under warranty (unless they actually exist like axles, some suspension components, tranny, the electronics wig out etc.). sorry to say, but it always seems like stuff starts to go south when the warrnty expires. not all the time, but it coincidentally happens.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
you still have Power train warranty up to 70,000 miles.
But for your mirror, since it's electronic related which is only covered under 50,000 miles, I'd say you should bring it in to have them look at it, I think it's just the matter of setting it up properly.
On the other hand, If you're planning to keep the car for a long time, you could talk to the service advisor about buying extended warranty since it's cheaper to extend it before the car is over 50,000 miles.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Skillionare

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check into Acura care package. Going to the dealership today to get a quote and what not. Gonna have them look into some rattles as well. Damn things are notorious for rattles.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 PM
10th Gear

Thank you for the responses. They fixed the rattles and I had them do an alignment. They said that I’ve got 2mm left on my front brakes and that my filters, power steering and brake fluid need to be replaced as well (I’m at right about 50K miles). Are they going to charge me something exorbitant for this or is it worth taking the time to look for cheaper places? I’m willing to pay at most a 10% premium for the dealership to build up a relationship with them.

also yes I have a non-powertrain CPO warranty until 5yr/62kmi and powertrain 7yr/100kmi but for things like rattles, the non-powertrain warranty does not cover that. the original 4yr/50k warranty does which is why i brought it in right before i hit 50kmi

Last edited by tdecast; 05-26-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:06 PM
10th Gear

got the prices the dealership quoted me:

Replace cabin filter $60
Replace air filter $40
power steering fluid exchange $140
brake system fluid exchange $130
replace front brake pads (at 2mm) & rotors $715

I did a bit of reading on the forum, I don't think the MID is giving me a warning about the two filters... but the inspection results the dealership gave me say they are dirty. should i replace them?

I have no idea how much the power steering and brake fluid exchange should cost or how much the front brake pads and rotors should cost.

How do you know if the rotors are supposed to be replaced? I don't notice any problems/odd vibrations braking. I rarely drive aggressive enough to have to brake hard. When I got the car in Dec 09 at 27K mi they said the brakes were at about 50% wear. Assuming they have not ever been replaced, it seems like I have gone pretty far at 50k miles without replacement.

I'm pretty concerned about costs as I might be moving to NYC in a couple months and would not bring my car. I don't want to have to spend $1k and barely use my car for a few years (when I come home)
Old 06-11-2011, 01:38 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
power steering pump...
Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tdecast
got the prices the dealership quoted me:

Replace cabin filter $60
Replace air filter $40
power steering fluid exchange $140
brake system fluid exchange $130
replace front brake pads (at 2mm) & rotors $715
too much, most of these things you can DIY with no problem. Buy the filters from our vendor AcK in the Black Market forum and install them yourself.
Buy the brake pads and rotors from our vendor Brakemotive also in Black Market or eBay, and either install them yourself or bring it to a local shop, will be much cheaper than $715 . While you're there, ask them to do the fluid exchange as well.
Most aftermarket brake pads and rotors are better than OEM anyway.