Exploding Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exploding Sunroof

Hey Guys/Gals,

I was driving on the highway between Edmonton and Calgary yesterday (hwy 2) going approx. 110km/hr. All of a sudden I heard a loud pop and my sunroof glass came showering down all over me. Needless to say I almost lost control of my vehicle and suffered a minor laceration to the right side of my forehead from some falling pieces of glass. I pulled my car over on the shoulder of the highway to find out what had happened. The first thing I noticed is that for the size of the hole in my sunroof there wasn't too many glass shards inside my vehicle, the second thing I noticed was that the sunroof glass was bubbled outwards instead of inwards (please refer to pics). The strange thing was the car in front of me on the highway must've been at least 300 meters ahead of me. So far away that I could not even tell what model of car it was. I believed that the sunroof may have imploded due to cabin pressure change? Or maybe something else. I had washed my car the day before this occurred and I know for a fact there was no cracks or chips in the sunroof as I hand dried the vehicle. The weather was extremely mild for a Canadian day (-3 degrees Celcius) and I had been on the highway for over an hour and a half before this occurred.

I researched this situation and came up with a few different stories of how this had happened to multiple different people in different model Acura's. Most of them had stated that Acura would replace the sunroof for free even though there cars aren't warrantied anymore. Mine however said they would charge me $350 for the sunroof plus 5 hours of labour which would cost me $980 +gst...Can you guys suggest anything I can say or do so that I can get this fixed for free by Acura?

Model: 2005 Acura TL
Tranny: Auto
Packages: Navigation
KM: 96,000km

Thanks Guys/Gals!!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM
5th Gear

Sorry here are the pics as links...

http://img593.imageshack.us/i/img00202201012141852.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/img00203201012141852.jpg

Old 12-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I've got to wait a couple hours until I get off of work to see the pictures but it's pretty normal for the glass to want to go toward the outside of the car with a low pressure area usually above the sunroof.

I remember some of the old threads but I just don't see how this can happen without an object hitting the glass. Was there a bridge nearby?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts

Old 12-15-2010, 05:21 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Damn bastard kids

Notice any bricks etc in the car?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
bako I am from edmonton too and let me tell you, you are shit out of luck if you want these dealerships to do anything for you for free. This is Canada, we don't get treatment like they do in American dealerships.

There are some TLs at HONDATOY and BlackGold. Those are both parts yards in Edmonton. Call them and see how much they want for a sunroof glass. And don't go to the dealership to get this fixed. They are gonna RAPE you
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Yeah, this has happened a few times (at least as posted in this forum). Most of the time, the TL was going highway speeds. I've got to assume it's an over-pressurization issue (possibly aided by stressed/compromised glass).

Don't have time to look it up right now, but I believe there are vents in the trunk area designed to prevent this from happening. IRRC, wonder if these vents got blocked or malfunctioned?

As far as dealing with the dealer, not sure how it works in Canada as far as ACS is concerned. If they'll listen, I'd call up ACS and start a case file..
Old 12-15-2010, 06:33 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
x2 over-pressurization issue... check the vents and the 4 drainage tubes that drain to the 4 corners of the roof then travel down through the body by a hose & dump out underneath the car...

PRESSURE at high speeds in certain conditions (pressure + clogged vents/drainage tubes + previously stressed) glass may be enough to cause overbearing stress.

NO MATTER HOW WE EXPLAIN IT, IT STILL SUCKS. Good luck with getting it fixed.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Team Owner

Pretty sure the tubes are only there for water drainage.

Unless there's a major flaw or weak spot from damage in the glass, there's no way there was enough pressure to blow it out. Your ears would be bleeding and more than likely it would push the glass up enough to break the seal before it broke anyway. And if it did manage to break from pressure, once it broke, the amount of vacuum on top would cause issues to the driver.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Race Director

I used the wrong term. Excessive pressure differential is what I should have said. With a vacuum (or near vacuum) on the top of the car, it wouldn't necessarily take pressure much above 1 atmosphere to blow out weakened glass. Perhaps a slight body flex aided in the event? Don't know, it's all very puzzling about these highway blowout episodes.

I've seen posts of this happening while going under a bridge or being passed by a semi, all of which would create a sudden spike in pressure differential. Not a glass expert, but I seem to recall that tempered glass can be weakened by the slightest scratch.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Team Owner

An existing flaw in the glass would explain it when coupled with the pressure differential. But there's no way the differential by itself can do that. You have convertibles with cloth roofs. Hardtops with a hard roof that attaches only with latches.

Above all, think about when you open the sunroof going down the freeway. It gives a slight suction on the interior but I only notice it because it makes the air come out of the vents slightly harder.

Assuming it's not from a foreign object, I think it has to be the perfect combo of events to make this happen.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Race Director

Holy crap, I didn't realize how widespread this phenomenon was. Google "exploding sunroof".

Also Google "tempered glass". It appears to me that this is more likely caused by properties associated with tempered glass....

OP-push your dealer for goodwill consideration

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-15-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Team Owner

That's scary. When I have my hands full and have to set something light down, I do it on the glass instead of the paint. Maybe I won't do that anymore.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
only other then i can think of is maybe, the body has been tweaked, so the glass had undue stress on it...
then also maybe it was some type of thermal shock that happened to it, considering it was below freezing

btw OP i would love to send you my sunroof, but the wife wants to keep it (it's unnecessary weight in my mind, i hardly even use it, even then it is only for the tilt feature, and that is for those hot days to vent the car)
Old 12-15-2010, 11:45 PM
5th Gear

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. After speaking to 4 different acura service managers in two different cities. I have come to a conclusion that all Acura dealerships are as useless as talking to a 3 year old kid about molecular physics. 3 of them were convinced that I myself either did some sort of physical damage (like an upwards dragon uppercut) or a physical object was thrown from a higher vehicle (such as a semi) at my sunroof but could not explain why the sunroof had blown outwards. The last service manager I spoke to (Southside Acura in Edmonton) told me that he has seen this issue many times with all different types of Acura's and believes the issue is caused with pressure being built up in the cabin due to elevation changes and temperature changes on the highway. Although not being quite sure why it happens he did tell me that warranty would get it fixed for me for free. However, not having warranty he also told me it would cost around $900 to replace including labour.

i hate cars - I was not under any bridges or near any semi's. Highway 2 is a straight and long highway through Alberta prairies with dramatic weather changes. Either way I'm not too sure what caused the glass too shatter like that.

I have opened a Case with Acura and sent in a formal complaint. Not for any monetary value but to investigate what could be causing the issue and for them to deem it a manufacturers defect so that they can prevent this from happening to any Acura. I consider myself lucky as I could have easily swerved off the highway into the ditch or been rear ended by another car as the loud pop and showering glass could easily scare anybody to panic. I'm looking at the bright side of the picture by walking away with minor cuts from what could have been a deadly car accident.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the situation.
Perhaps start asking around body shops and ask them for an estimate to replace your sunroof.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
don't pay 900, read what I posted above and you could save some money.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:02 PM
5th Gear

So I just got off the phone with a bodyshop referred to me by my friend and they quoted me $280 for the sunroof glass and $160 for the labour...$280 + $160 = $440...compared to the $900+ that Acura was going to charge me...

Here is there info:

Midtown Imports
11204 119 St NW
Edmonton, Alberta
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

I am the original owner of a 2007 MDX and the roof has blown out 3 times now. Twice on the highway (1 winter, 1 summer) and once while driving 60 km on a secondary street. The dealer has paid in all cases but refuses to comment in respect to any kind of defect. Very strange. Enough is enough, I'm trading it in next week for an X5
Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Is it tinted?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:12 PM
5th Gear

i know this is an old thread, but this very same thing happen to my 09 rdx, it is exploded as i was on the hwy.scare the crap out of me, and i could have easily steer off the road by the explosion.
i just got the vehicle use from Lexus of Richmondhill here in Toronto. 2 weeks ago, they said they won't do anything about it. just wondering when this happened to you and what you did to have it fix.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:24 PM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
The sunroof glass is literally held in by 4 little, easy to access screws. It takes less than 10 minutes to remove and install a new glass assembly. I have a DIY on it.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-problems-fixes-145/moon-roof-warping-around-corners-898818/
???
Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
I couldn't believe it but that glass piece (70200-SEP-A11) is almost $500 from discount online Acura parts stores. Finding a used roof glass is definitely the best option.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 AM
5th Gear

So would this be like a recall? The glass is not holding the pressure in the carbin ? Or does this have to happens to someone and stree off the road and kill a few ppl before Acura pay attention to this problem?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Team Owner

I'm wondering if something is causing a weak spot and then the pressure in the cabin/vacuum on the outside sucks it out. I wonder if the mounting bolts get lose over time and allow the glass to rattle or significantly weaken at the mounting points.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 PM
5th Gear

I had a garbage bag on my roof for a week till the one i order from the wrecker comes in, and i notice the bag blows up and stay up on the last couple of days before i change out the glass.That is with my shade close the entire time.so there is definitely pressure in the cabin.
Has anyone contact Acura that their glass is not holding the pressure in the cabin and exploded ?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
Soo to bring up an old thread.... I just blew out my sunroof... Like broken... No glass.. Shit flew off lmmfao... Anyone with a cheap alternative?.. Might just hit up my insurance fcuk this
Old 10-14-2014, 12:39 AM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
I can imagine the roof blowing off like a James bond car. That's nuts.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
Hahahaaa.. I actually have video lol.. You can hear it flying off.. You can tell me fear or "wtf" moment lol
Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM
5th Gear

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I just traded in my 05 TL for a 09 MDX. I never had the problem with the exploding sunroof again after I got it replaced at Midtown Imports in Edmonton. (who is a top notch Honda/Acura bodyshop...literally the most HONEST shop in town...I HIGHLY recommend them).

Saying that I kept up on this issue and it seems to happen quite a bit with Acura's...Seems like MOST of the time it occurs when driving on the highway through high/low pressure systems in weather (Where the sunroof explodes outwards).

The only thing I can recommend is to keep your sun roof visor closed while driving on the highway!
The following users liked this post:
1black_seven (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by babo_seki

The only thing I can recommend is to keep your sun roof visor closed while driving on the highway!
Drive with the sunroof in the upwards position... that should help with the pressure differential, no?
Old 01-09-2015, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear

Another RDX exploding sunroof

Our sunroof just exploded a few weeks ago-- Dec. 23, 2014. We have a 2012 RDX. IT happened on the highway, we heard a loud noise from the roof of the car (the sunroof shade was closed, so we didn't see what happened). We didn't realize the roof had totally shattered until a few days later when we were back on the highway driving from Atlanta to NYC when we heard pieces start to fall in and hit the sunroof shade and we also heard air coming in from the sunroof. We pulled over to see what was going on and saw that the glass had bowed up and there was a hole about 6 inches in diameter in the middle of the sunroof and the rest of the glass was shattered. I called they Acura dealership in Atlanta where we bought the car brand new and they said that our warranty doesn't cover class. I called Acura corporate and filed a report. The person on the phone said he had heard of this happening but would need an acura dealer to determine the official cause of the glass breaking to see if it was covered under warranty. He said there were no recalls as a result of this issue which seems insane to me. If our shade had been open when this happened we could have seriously been hurt. We took it to the Acura dealer in Brooklyn today where they said it was not covered until warranty and that it would be $900 to fix ($600 for parts, $300 for labor). I filed a complaint with safecar.gov, but am still determined to get Acura to take some responsibility here. I believe this is a recall issue.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Will insurance not cover it? Not sure about most states, but SC has zero deductible on glass. Not sure if that includes the sunroof or not though.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by daweez2002
Our sunroof just exploded a few weeks ago-- Dec. 23, 2014. We have a 2012 RDX. IT happened on the highway, we heard a loud noise from the roof of the car (the sunroof shade was closed, so we didn't see what happened). We didn't realize the roof had totally shattered until a few days later when we were back on the highway driving from Atlanta to NYC when we heard pieces start to fall in and hit the sunroof shade and we also heard air coming in from the sunroof. We pulled over to see what was going on and saw that the glass had bowed up and there was a hole about 6 inches in diameter in the middle of the sunroof and the rest of the glass was shattered. I called they Acura dealership in Atlanta where we bought the car brand new and they said that our warranty doesn't cover class. I called Acura corporate and filed a report. The person on the phone said he had heard of this happening but would need an acura dealer to determine the official cause of the glass breaking to see if it was covered under warranty. He said there were no recalls as a result of this issue which seems insane to me. If our shade had been open when this happened we could have seriously been hurt. We took it to the Acura dealer in Brooklyn today where they said it was not covered until warranty and that it would be $900 to fix ($600 for parts, $300 for labor). I filed a complaint with safecar.gov, but am still determined to get Acura to take some responsibility here. I believe this is a recall issue.
It is not a recall issue but do fight for it. My coworker at work is currently fighting (almost done really, just needs to get his car back) from BMW for his Mini Cooper sunroof glass that exploded just like yours, from the inside. He has made a huge deal out of it, called BMW Canada, told his dealership, found information on the internet and wrote a big and beautiful email and got it fixed under warranty. They lent him a BMW X1 to drive while his Mini was getting fixed and since this has happened on the 20th of December he's been driving that X1. The car rental, which he won't have to pay, is up to $780 as of today...

There's a physical explanation regarding the materials used in the sunroof glass that can make it shatter and literally explode outwards more so during the winter as the cold makes the glass contract but the heat from inside the car makes it expand quicker than it should. He has a few links he has gathered all over the internet which has helped him fight and win his case. If you want I can ask him to send me the links if you think this could help you.
daweez2002 (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

Yes! @Polobunny- if you could send those links that would be a huge help. I made a stink on Acura's facebook page and they said they would call me tomorrow to see what could be done, but any information about how the glass breaking like this is possible would be great ammunition to have. Thank you.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Hey Daweez2002, here's the email my coworker sent to BMW Canada as well as his sales rep and others. I did not attach the pictures because they're just like any other sunroof explosion picture, bent outwards. Names were removed for obvious reasons. What is interesting is obviously the links he collected. Good luck!

To whom it may concern,

I am writing this email following the sudden explosion of the front sunroof of my MINI this last Saturday.

The incident happened as follows:

While driving on the highway, in light traffic conditions and minimal snow coverage, I heard a LOUD explosion sound and immediately thought it was a close gun fire or a nearby car accident.

Then I got rained on by tiny shards of glass and noticed that the forward sunroof had just exploded without being struck!

Thanks to the roof netting being pulled forward, all the major shattered pieces were caught.

I pulled over and noticed a fairly large "trapezoidal" hole in the center of the sunroof.

I also noticed that the remaining glass still present at the perimeter of the hole was bent outwards.

I could not find any rock/concrete/debris or any other fragment in the vehicle.

The outside temperature was around -10 degrees Celcius and the heating system was full on.

There is no doubt in my mind that the sunroof had exploded OUTWARDS!

Also no doubt to me that this is a warranty issue due to some defect of the sunroof glass.

So... I crawled the Internet in search of an answer and found the following information:

Mini agreed to replace the sunroof under warranty:
R56 Spontaneous Sunroof Explosion - Page 3 - North American Motoring

UC professor solves shattered sunroof problem:
BMW tries to blame shattered sunroof on rock, UC professor says otherwise | null
BMW tries to blame shattered sunroof on rock, UC professor says otherwise | abc7news.com

The science behind Nickel Sulphide Inclusions:
http://www.sunshadeblindsystems.co.u...king-brief.pdf
GLASS ON WEB - Articles - NiS and spontaneous breakage
Spontaneous glass breakage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More proof that this problem is well knowned and documented:
Sunroof shattered while in motion !! - MINI Cooper Forum
yet ANOTHER BMW "exploding" sunroof
Sunroof Glass Shattered - North American Motoring
Without warning, sunroofs shatter into 'a million pieces' :: WRAL.com

Please feel free to do a Google image search to compare the attached pictures I took of my car with others in the same situation.

(see attached pictures)

Best regards,
daweez2002 (01-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Race Director

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...nger-overhead/
Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
Doesn't surprise me one bit that the tC was the top vehicle in that article. My car prior to my TL was a 2006 tC and I remember how active the forums were on there with glass failure issues. I already had 3M clear bra on the front of the car as well as the deflector and sunroof by the time the dealer wanted to add the mandated coverings.