exhaust tip

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust tip

the left exhaust tip is notciebly lower, not by that much, than the one on the right. almost all the pics on this site have equal length tips, ones i see on the road also seem to be even, but some are like mine, from what i can see. when we went to the delear for A service we brought it up, so they jacked it up and saw nothing wrong with the car. the mechanic also said that all 3 tls in the garage were similar, including the one in the showroom. i took a look under the bumper to see if there was anything that could be adjusted, but from what i saw the front muffler hanger is fixed (on a rubber bushing btw, which is good). my question, is there any DIY adjustments that could be made to raise the muffler up to make it even with the right one?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Pro

anyone?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you measure the difference between the top of the tip and the bumper above it for each tip and tell us the difference. I would assume if you took off the existing rubber bushing and replaced it with another one which is as thick as the original + the difference in height, you would be able to line up the tips. Not sure where you'd find one which would be exactly that same size, but a local muffler shop may be able to assist..... and it shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Pro

ill measure it when i get a chance but here's a pic. ^ if i replace the bushing, i dont understand how it will even out, mayb u could explain a bit more Scribesoft

if you look carefully, u will notice that the actual mufflers do not line up as well, very minor though
Old 10-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Pro

FYI: the space in between the bumper and tips is : L- 1 inch R 0.6 inches
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

OK, I just took a look at mine to see how the back of the muffler (just before the tip) is holding up the muffler.

There is a pin/shaft sticking out of the back out of muffler. A rubber hanger holds that to the bracket which is attached to the car. It looks like all you have to do is bend that pin/shaft DOWN 4/10's of an inch. By bending it down (on the left side), you will make the space between shaft and the main bracket closer by 4/10's of an inch.

After taking a look at mine, it looked like the left side was slighty lower as well. I took a small piece of hollow iron piping I had from my workshop (a couple of bucks at most at Home Depot), slid it over the shaft (this is done for leverage), and pulled down on it. I got the shaft to bend just enough. Now both tips are exactly even and I still have the flexibility of the rubber hanger.

Another way you could go (not sure how long this would last, but should last for a while) would be to get a hose clamp like this one = Hose Clamp ... put it around the shaft on the bottom and the bracket up top.... tighten it until your left exhaust tip is even with the right side. As you tighten it, the exhaust tip will get closer to the bumper.

Not sure if these will work for you, but it's worth a shot! Good luck. Let me know if they work for you
Old 10-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
OK, I just took a look at mine to see how the back of the muffler (just before the tip) is holding up the muffler.

There is a pin/shaft sticking out of the back out of muffler. A rubber hanger holds that to the bracket which is attached to the car. It looks like all you have to do is bend that pin/shaft DOWN 4/10's of an inch. By bending it down (on the left side), you will make the space between shaft and the main bracket closer by 4/10's of an inch.

After taking a look at mine, it looked like the left side was slighty lower as well. I took a small piece of hollow iron piping I had from my workshop (a couple of bucks at most at Home Depot), slid it over the shaft (this is done for leverage), and pulled down on it. I got the shaft to bend just enough. Now both tips are exactly even and I still have the flexibility of the rubber hanger.

Another way you could go (not sure how long this would last, but should last for a while) would be to get a hose clamp like this one = Hose Clamp ... put it around the shaft on the bottom and the bracket up top.... tighten it until your left exhaust tip is even with the right side. As you tighten it, the exhaust tip will get closer to the bumper.

Not sure if these will work for you, but it's worth a shot! Good luck. Let me know if they work for you
sounds like an easy fix, im definately gonna do it this weekend. thanks again scribesoft
Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Pro

ok i just took a look tonite w/ a flashlight and saw the shaft hanger thing inserted in the rubber bushing. so your're saying i should bend it DOWN? shouldnt i try to push it upwards? im gonna see if i can get a pic so u can show me where i should bend it. thanks again
Old 10-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by massr1
ok i just took a look tonite w/ a flashlight and saw the shaft hanger thing inserted in the rubber bushing. so your're saying i should bend it DOWN? shouldnt i try to push it upwards? im gonna see if i can get a pic so u can show me where i should bend it. thanks again
If you bend it up, you will be increasing the distance between the pin/shaft and the muffler tip. That would make it hang lower. If you bend the pin down towards the tip, you will be decreasing the distance, which will make the tip go up (and hopefuly align with the right side ).

You could always try the hose clamp method too. I would either try getting a black clamp or spraying a regular clamp black to help hide it (not that it's really visible, but you might as well try to hide it as much a you can).
Old 10-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Stop don't do it.

You exhaust tip is clocked counter clockwise like my TL (right exhaust tip). Notice how the top of the tip doesn't follow the contour of the bumper. The gap is bigger on the left versus right. Raising it up will not fix this problem. The exhaust tip is welded on and IMO it must be removed and rewelded back on. I've seen several TLs like this and I posted back in August about this as well. I haven't brought my TL back in to Acura. Or else go to a muffler shop. Will wait for the next oil change. Good luck.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121768
Old 10-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by hcekc
Stop don't do it.

You exhaust tip is clocked counter clockwise like my TL (right exhaust tip). Notice how the top of the tip doesn't follow the contour of the bumper. The gap is bigger on the left versus right. Raising it up will not fix this problem. The exhaust tip is welded on and IMO it must be removed and rewelded back on. I've seen several TLs like this and I posted back in August about this as well. I haven't brought my TL back in to Acura. Or else go to a muffler shop. Will wait for the next oil change. Good luck.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121768
fuck, your right!
Old 10-08-2005, 05:23 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
if you are going to cut and weld the easiest thing to do would be to cut 95% of the tip off and then rotate it how you want it. This will allow the tip to retain its position on the muffler and then just tack it in the spot you want. cutting the tip all the way off ok also, just a pain in the ass to line back up with the bumper.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by subinf
if you are going to cut and weld the easiest thing to do would be to cut 95% of the tip off and then rotate it how you want it. This will allow the tip to retain its position on the muffler and then just tack it in the spot you want. cutting the tip all the way off ok also, just a pain in the ass to line back up with the bumper.
dont plan on doing anything major like that. probably bring it up next service date. see the problem is not just that tip is slighty turned, the muffler it self is slightly lower. i took a nice look underneath and compared the two. from what i can see, the tip is probably welded ok, but it seems like the muffler itself needs to be turned slightly.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Racer

Crappy build quality, no doubt about it.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:26 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
if the muffler is hanging down then the easiest way to fix it (if the dealer wont replace) is to cut the muffler off and make a slip to go over both pipes. You can move the muffler around until its lined up right and then weld it.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Damn, took a look at my crooked exhaust tip tonight. It's further in towards the front of the car than the left exhaust tip. I'm starting to really question Acura's quality. At least make the damn car look nice. No dash fade, no uneven gaps inside and out, no lousy weld job on exhaust tips, no two-tone paint job, no funny stitching in interior. At least the car runs nice...for now....