Exhaust line heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:53 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust line heat shield

Hey everyone!

I got a question for ya'll!

The other day while driving, I started to hear a pretty annoying rattle from beneath my car. After some investigation, it turned out to be the hear shield.

It seems that my heat shield had started to fall apart or become loose.

My question to all of you is.... is the heat shield something I should replace? Does replacing it add any value or can I just rip it off and leave it off?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Jequan_Sparxxx
Hey everyone!

The other day while driving, I started to hear a pretty annoying rattle from beneath my car. After some investigation, it turned out to be the hear shield.

My question to all of you is.... is the heat shield something I should replace? Does replacing it add any value or can I just rip it off and leave it off?

Thanks!
I personally had it replaced. A little costly though. Getting rid of that annoying rattle was worth it IMO.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,755 Likes on 6,752 Posts
heat shield adds value by shielding your car from heat

go to a junkyard and find one.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,160 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Jequan_Sparxxx
Hey everyone!

Thanks!
is it the one above your jpipe? or the one in the very back above one of the mufflers?

i have that annoying sound too but it's coming from the one above the jpipe that can move. i'm considering just buying a new one and replacing it myself (need to take off the jpipe for that one).

does your heat shield make the rattle noise when you shut your doors too?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sockr1
is it the one above your jpipe? or the one in the very back above one of the mufflers?

i have that annoying sound too but it's coming from the one above the jpipe that can move. i'm considering just buying a new one and replacing it myself (need to take off the jpipe for that one).

does your heat shield make the rattle noise when you shut your doors too?
My rattle is coming closer to the front end... around my tires. I only hear it when i drive and accelerate hitting lpwer rpms.. maybe like 2500 or so.. if i rev in neutral, i get nothing. I quickly stopped by a muffler shop to get it checked out thinking I had a hole but they said it was just the heat shield. They quickly did some welding or bonding or something to see if it would help but it didn't. They said to come back and they see what they can do or they can just rip it off if I don't want to replace it now.

I don't really have the cash flow to replace the part if it's not extremely important as there are some other things id rather focus on but i wanted to get a consensus for all your zines since you are all experts.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:20 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
I used to have the same problem. I fixed by taking a flathead screwdriver, putting it under edges of the shield and tapping it with a hammer so that the edges of the heat shield were bent a little bit and didn't have space to vibrate. This may work for you.