ever heard of this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ever heard of this?

in the recent cold and wet weather weeks, the leather on the back seat bottom of my TL is getting hard/stiff and krinkling. its noticable as soon as you look at it, and becasue i have taupe interior, its very noticable. the hard/krinkled leather is also darker than the rest of the back seat leather, almost like something was spilt on it.

now i dont use the back seat, never have more than like once or twice really, nothings ever been spilt there. my back window was leaking and i thought maybe water messed up the seat, but the acura collision center that fixed my window said that wasnt possible..i took it to service and they tried to tell me this was NORMAL and theye seen in at least 3 other tl's with the taupe interior.

they wont replace it until the corporate acura rep or whoever looks at it thursday and decides what to do with it.

i think this is total bull$hit, aside from my 30+ thousand dollar car looking like crap in the back seat, i have to go back and take time out of my work schedule for some one to tell me if theyll replace it or not, and assuming they do, ill probably have to take more time out of my schedule for the service work to be done.

has anyone else ever heard of this problem? ill try to post some pics later, i just had to start a thread now becasue i just got off the phone with the dealer who advised me to come out thurs and it ticks me off.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:30 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

hopefully they will goodwill it!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
after the water was on the seat, did you clean off the seat and condition it? If not it could be just some water stains and minerals hardening on the seat. Easy way to check, use a woolite solution (5 parts water, 1 part woolite) and clean off the seat well. Follow up with a damp towel and dry. Then condition with a leather conditioner such as lexol.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
after the water was on the seat, did you clean off the seat and condition it? If not it could be just some water stains and minerals hardening on the seat. Easy way to check, use a woolite solution (5 parts water, 1 part woolite) and clean off the seat well. Follow up with a damp towel and dry. Then condition with a leather conditioner such as lexol.

i never found water on my seat, just seatbelts grwoing mold, which the dealer quickly detailed out. i just happened to notice the seat leather getting like that. if they rule out tomorrow that it isnt thier fault, then ill try what you suggested, hopefully that clears it up.

thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude its leather n vinyl on the seats whatta u want??? its cow skin it crinkles up like your hands when u put too much water on it or when its super cold outa and your hands dry out....... it happens to rolls royces as well...but a majority of those are kept in heated garages so it wont happen... its prob just a bad batch of material...who knows? but it is just leather. if its something they want u to pay for go to an upholstery shop somewhere n have em replace the section.... it shouldnt be more than 150 and no less than 100.

Last edited by Tripnbeats; 01-21-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
dude its leather n vinyl on the seats whatta u want??? its cow skin it crinkles up like your hands when u put too much water on it or when its super cold outa and your hands dry out....... it happens to rolls royces as well...but a majority of those are kept in heated garages so it wont happen... its prob just a bad batch of material...who knows? but it is just leather. if its something they want u to pay for go to an upholstery shop somewhere n have em replace the section.... it shouldnt be more than 150 and no less than 100.
no..they dont krinkle up, not like this, not when never used, and on a brand new car. and my shit is kept in a garage. so what i want, is for them to say "yeah..thats our fault, sorry bout that..well take care of it for you" ive seen leather become damaged/aged what happened to my seat is just straight up weird.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

yea man even if u dont use it it occurs....ive seen it occur on plenty of cars u can argue that to ur grave it aint gonna help.....it happens... i do upholstery and install systems and alarms and all the goodies in peoples cars..... yours is no exception....new or old. ok good u keep the car garaged so because u do and its some kinda shit defect then they shouldnt be dicks and should replace it....simple.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

pictures of the defect would help.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
pictures of the defect would help.
trippn whats the style/color of your rims? id live to get them for my tl. which is also tinted/silver.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pregame
trippn whats the style/color of your rims? id live to get them for my tl. which is also tinted/silver.

nevermind, your signature says it all..

Ronjon Legend Liquid Graphites with Pirelli Pzero
Old 01-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

they are for sale
Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Safety Car

theyve been in my garage for almost 7 months