Engine is vibrating at idle, help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 01:22 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine is vibrating at idle, help!!!

After my friend borrowed my Acura TL 2005 for 3 day, the engine is vibrating now, I can feel the whole car shakes (it was very quiet be4) and is getting noisier when I stop at the red light, including the steering wheel is vibrating.

I noticed that coolant were spilled over the engine cover, I had to add like 2/3 of bottle of coolant. So basically, he drove it for the the whole day with AC on when the engine was overheated. And when I did an oil change yesterday, the oil was very dirty (regular 3,000 oil change, maybe some coolant got into the engine and mixed with the oil).

He didn't tell me the engine became shaky until I asked him. Then he told me that the engine became shaking after the second day and he still used it for the whole day. I asked him if he abused the car or not, he said he didn't. I though the thermostat was broken, so I drove it on the highway for like an hour with AC on today, everything was fine: no overheated and the coolant was fine too. So from what I see, he must abused the car.

I think the engine is losing compression due to overheated, that is why it's shaking and getting noisier (maybe the head gasket was burned) because of all the evident like coolant spilling all, the engine oil was very dirty at 3,000 mileages. Anyone has any idea?

Sometimes, you just can't be to too nice, they just take it as granted!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:12 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Sounds like maybe a engine mount issue. Don't let people drive your car other than in an emergency. Explain more about the coolant all over the engine issue. The TL has a very nice cooling system and shouldn't overheat from hard use.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:31 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have known him since High school. He knew that the engine became shaky on the second day (he told me after i asked him) and he didn't tell me, he just used it hoping i wouldn't find out. So I am totally speechless. Anyway.

When I got back the car, I popped the hood to see what was going on. I saw that the coolant was all over the engine cover and other area, it was from the small white container next the the radiator that contain the extra coolant, those coolant was probably forced out due to the failure of the thermostat and he drove it with AC on and in traffic jam for like 6 hours (he put at least 200-300 miles on the meter). So I thought it was the thermostat.

Today, I took it out and went hard on it for like another hour without overheated. Then I checked the coolant again, I saw that the coolant in the small white container was more than be4 I started driving it. So I am sure that it's that thermostat gone bad.

It costs around 130 to fix it including dealer thermostat 60 dollars and two bottles of dealer coolant for 40 dollars and 30 dollar labor.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:58 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
I think it's normal for the levels in the reservoir to fluctuate on driving conditions. Only when the engine's cool should you judge the coolant levels.

a bad radiator cap can allow coolant to exit the radiator via the overflow tube and spill out. I've had it happen on my integra. And it only happened immediately after i shut the car off.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess is he made hard starts and stops causing the engine to move more than it should. Check the engine mount by pulling off the passenger side cover under the hood. I had mine replaced and its back to smooth sailing.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I agree with ^^^

I think you high school buddy did couple (def more than couple) burnouts/drift attempts/hard braking....

and busted your mounts....the mounts on the 3G are vacuum assisted...so when you idle the mounts are filled with air and hence soft and not letting the vibrations in....when you get on the gas, the air is sucked outta the mounts and hence making them stiff so you can get off the line....

I would check the conditions of your brakes and brake fluid as well....just in case....

and please dont let no one drive your car, unless he knows you from ur mothers womb....i dont let anyone and i mean ANYONE drive my car....