engine/tachometer revving: is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine/tachometer revving: is this normal?

Hi all,

so I've only had my 05 MT TL for a half a year now, but just a few months ago, I noticed that my engine was revving right after I step on my clutch in 1st, 2nd, and reverse and I want to know if this is normal or not. Let me try to explain:

While my car is rolling and I'm only going say, 5 mph, I will step on my clutch because of a bump or to slow down while I'm still in first or second gear. After this, I accelerate for a little bit and depress the clutch again for whatever reason and my engine will rev on its own. Depending on the situation, it revs up from about 1300-1700 rpm. Basically what happens is:

1. car is moving already
2. in first or second gear, I accelerate for a little bit
3. step on clutch and engine revs

This only happens at slower speeds.

I took it to the dealer and test drove it with the mechanic and he said it was normal. I've never had a problem with a civic or integra doing this (which I've driven for many years), but they're telling me this is normal. Can anyone confirm with me if this is true? Or should I push more? My warranty's expiring at the beginning of may and I'd like to have this taken care of before then.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
No, if your description is accurate this is not normal. Some cars do this to burn off residual fuel in the intake manifold and/or plenum chamber but the TL does not.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
No, if your description is accurate this is not normal. Some cars do this to burn off residual fuel in the intake manifold and/or plenum chamber but the TL does not.
If the dealer is saying it is normal, what do you suggest I do and does anyone know of a solution to this problem? Has anyone else had this sort of problem before? Especially at lower speeds?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little confused with the way you wrote your OP. Do you mean that you step on the clutch while your foot is still on the gas? If so, then it *is* normal. If your foot's off the gas, then it's not. If the dealer claims it is, ask them if Acuracare will agree, and then call them.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by shadowkahn
I'm a little confused with the way you wrote your OP. Do you mean that you step on the clutch while your foot is still on the gas? If so, then it *is* normal. If your foot's off the gas, then it's not. If the dealer claims it is, ask them if Acuracare will agree, and then call them.
No, I'm definitely not stepping on the gas when the tachometer increases. It's just stepping on the clutch at slower speeds. I'll ask about the acuracare. The acura tech said that he's seen it do the same thing in other cars and it is normal. He took my car on a test drive with me and said everything "felt normal," but I haven't felt the tachometer increase till a couple months ago. Doesn't feel normal to me.

In the meantime, any techs or engineers have any ideas or solutions?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
OP -

I have an 07 TL S 6MT, and I too notice this on my car. I have always described it as the "throttle blip" (blipping the throttle). I notice this on pretty much all the 6MT TLs I drive at work. While annoying, it's usually not noticeable, to me at least.

Now I will say that by blip, I'm talking about maybe 100-200 RPMs, max, from where it was revving prior to the clutch being pushed in. If yours is jumping, say, 500 RPM, then that is not normal and something is wrong.

If it is minimal though, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Feel free to take a video of it and post it on here, maybe I'll end up doing the same as well for comparision.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

This happens with my car occasionally too and noticed it in a few I test drove before settling on mine. I was thinking it was the dbw or some revhang.