Engine Misfire codes= BENT VALVES!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
yea thats what i am saying. just scream lemon law, and fight then for a new car. then they will repair yours for ya... i wouldnt pay for this

There is definitely something shady going on, especially with the reflash without revealing the contents. Anyone who flashes anything should backup the original, that's just a simple rule of thumb.

Someone is trying to hide something.

If I were in your shoes, I would take the car back and get my money. I would be haunted by what else is wrong the entire time it was in my possession.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Everyone that is screaming Lemon Law needs to use the search feature on the internet.
Lemons are NEW cars with unfixable problem
This case is about a used 2004 that acura dealer certified as meeting 157 basic inspection points- despite the many flaws of this car.

Proving WHEN the problem first started-as in- you took it to the shop immedialty because it ran rough...

There are important parts of this story that have yet to be revealed by the OP,
beside the "slipping tires" that he says is different than ~spinning the tires off the line~
Old 02-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Everyone that is screaming Lemon Law needs to use the search feature on the internet.
This case is about a used 2004 that acura dealer certified as meeting 157 basic inspection points- despite the many flaws of this car.

Proving WHEN the problem first started-as in- you took it to the shop immedialty because it ran rough...

beside the "slipping tires" that he says is different than ~spinning the tires off the line~
I don't know what else I can reveal....I mean come on guys...why the hell would I have any reason to lie to total stangers on the internet. I have nothing to gain by doing so. I'm just getting really sick of dealing with this and although everyone says to take the car back, get lawyers, sue, demand that they pay and all that, I just want a reliable car....and even if I did sell the car, I'd probably only be able to get $19 or so for it so I've already lost $4K there. So I'm going to try to get them to pay half and get out of there with a decent running car. That's all I've ever wanted, but this all really wears down a person. You can only fight so long before it's time to just try and salvage what you can and move on. I still have yet to talk to the sales manager to see if they are willing to split the cost.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Team Owner

What are you waiting for????
They hope you will get tired and take nothing, or their offer, and leave them the hell alooooone!

The point is: they erased data that would prove if the car was in your hands or theirs.
If you were 100 percent certain it was them- then stick it out.

GO IN PERSON AND SEE THE SALES MANAGER
Big Sales event for moday holiday- he will be there on premise
Or park your car out front with a sign- they fried my motor!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i like that idea! but thats a last resort
Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

FYI... in NY , there is a lemon law on used cars.. not much.. i think 30 or 90 days.. and its limited, but it is there when purchasing a car from a dealership
Old 02-16-2008, 09:50 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
What are you waiting for????
They hope you will get tired and take nothing, or their offer, and leave them the hell alooooone!

The point is: they erased data that would prove if the car was in your hands or theirs.
If you were 100 percent certain it was them- then stick it out.

GO IN PERSON AND SEE THE SALES MANAGER
Big Sales event for moday holiday- he will be there on premise
THAT'S RIGHT !!!

Raise a stink in the showroom when it's nice and busy, like on a Saturday afternoon or Presidents Day.

Or, I can have Paulie and Christafa pay 'em a 'VISIT'. But that'll cost yiz.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by conester
Well they checked for the time/date/rpm stamp but because they re-flashed the pcm with updated software which "convieniently" erased the time stamp so there was no proof or evidence of when it happened if I did or not. I still argue that I didn't do it due to the statement by jime that he KNEW when it happened because he heard the engine rev up like that....that NEVER hapened since I owned the car.
Anyway, the service dept called and it isn't covered under warranty. They said the repair estimate was $3080+tax. I asked if they'd be willing to split the cost at least since I've only had it for 3 1/2 weeks and I've only had it in my possession for 11 of those days. They said that the sales manager will call me to discuss that possibility. If they won't agree to it then I will call the Acura Client Services in CA and talk to them. I was told that if I do that it bypasses the dealer, inspector and goes right to the top. So we'll see what they offer to do. The saga continues.....until tomorrow.
fight it seems too shady...
Old 02-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackasswhy
fight it seems too shady...
Well I talked to the service manager today and he told me that they agreed to pay for half of my repair bill. As of now, worst case situation out the door will be $1650 on my part....hopefully it will be less, but I have to wait until they get going on it. I'll find out more on Thursday.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by conester
Well I talked to the service manager today and he told me that they agreed to pay for half of my repair bill. As of now, worst case situation out the door will be $1650 on my part....hopefully it will be less, but I have to wait until they get going on it. I'll find out more on Thursday.
Well, I finally got my car back Sat morning. It cost me $1475 out the door. Better than worst case estimate, but it still hurt. They replaced all the exhaust valves and the valve guides. So hopefully she will run good for another 100K and I won't have any major problems in the future. Now maybe I can spend a little money on a nav to DVD kit.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 AM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^not the best case scenario, but not the worst either....either way start enjoying your car!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:28 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I'm in the same situation as conester...

This is the estimate given to me for the repairs...just like conester:

TOTAL: $3088.37 for parts, labor, etc. Replacing 12 intake/exhaust valves, front/rear head gasket, 6 spark plugs, coolant.

The thing is, they've done this work "under warranty" before, earlier this year, except they only replace "2 valves" on the exhaust side of cylinder #6. They are now saying that the exhaust valves are bent in cylinder #3, but they think it would be better to just replace the whole thing, but they want me to cover it, even though I am still under warranty!

I'm definitely calling Acura Care, but if they knew it was a problem the first time, why couldn't they do the right thing the first time? I don't think I should pay $3k for parts/labor for something that should still be covered under warranty. I'm still under 50K. Am I totally off-base? Tell me what you all think.

TIA
Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug

TOTAL: $3088.37 for parts, labor, etc. Replacing 12 intake/exhaust valves, front/rear head gasket, 6 spark plugs, coolant.

The thing is, they've done this work "under warranty" before, earlier this year, except they only replace "2 valves" on the exhaust side of cylinder #6. They are now saying that the exhaust valves are bent in cylinder #3, but they think it would be better to just replace the whole thing, but they want me to cover it, even though I am still under warranty!

I'm definitely calling Acura Care, but if they knew it was a problem the first time, why couldn't they do the right thing the first time? I don't think I should pay $3k for parts/labor for something that should still be covered under warranty. I'm still under 50K. Am I totally off-base? Tell me what you all think.

TIA
I guess that would depend on whether you over-reved it.

Any time you pull the heads off for bent valves, you always replace ALL valves. Compression may be ok for the time being but if the valves got slightly touched by the pistons, they will eventually sieze against the guide or the exhaust valves will burn from insufficient cooling.

IMO, Acura screwed up by trying to be cheap and only replace a couple valves.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts

TIA

How did it happen the first time? Any thing new to exacerbate the new problem? That's what will determine whether or not it is warranty.

I agree with I Hate Cars though, they should've done the job right the first time. That's where I'd focus my attention - Why wasn't this done when I was here before? You didn't complete the job, now I've got more problems and you want me to pay for your failure to do the job right the first time.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:14 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I guess that would depend on whether you over-reved it.

Any time you pull the heads off for bent valves, you always replace ALL valves. Compression may be ok for the time being but if the valves got slightly touched by the pistons, they will eventually sieze against the guide or the exhaust valves will burn from insufficient cooling.

IMO, Acura screwed up by trying to be cheap and only replace a couple valves.
I agree with you. No, I NEVER "missed" any shifts, and I have NEVER redlined the car. It does have a rev limiter, which the Service Manager I spoke with even pointed out, and knows as well. I asked him why they didn't do the whole job the first time, but they said only cylinder #6 was losing compression....

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
How did it happen the first time? Any thing new to exacerbate the new problem? That's what will determine whether or not it is warranty.

I agree with I Hate Cars though, they should've done the job right the first time. That's where I'd focus my attention - Why wasn't this done when I was here before? You didn't complete the job, now I've got more problems and you want me to pay for your failure to do the job right the first time.
This is what I'm going to argue. I just spoke with the dealership's Service Manager, and he said he would call me back after speaking with his "regional manager" about what they "can do". He even said that if I'm not satisfied, to call Client Services, but hopefully I won't have to do that. We'll see. I hope to come out of this by not shelling out any of my own money.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont pay a dime. They sold you a messed up car.
DONT PAY!!! DONT!!!! :P
Old 12-13-2008, 04:32 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by juruki
Dont pay a dime. They sold you a messed up car.
DONT PAY!!! DONT!!!! :P
I really wish I don't have to. The Service Manager even suggested that I call ACS. I really wanted to avoid doing that, but I guess I'll have to now. I'll call on Monday.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Team Owner

[quote=princelybug;10280285]I agree with you. No, I NEVER "missed" any shifts, and I have NEVER redlined the car. It does have a rev limiter, which the Service Manager I spoke with even pointed out, and knows as well. I asked him why they didn't do the whole job the first time, but they said only cylinder #6 was losing compression....

quote]

I didn't realize this was a used car. Don't pay a dime.

Each lobe of the cam has the exact same lift and duration. Each piston stops at the exact same point in the bore at TDC. Each valve spring has the same pressure, each valve has the same weight.

If one valve kissed a piston, chances are all of them did. One may have been a little worse than the rest due to very slight valve spring pressure differences.

They were being cheap and were hoping you would be out of warranty when the car came back. Again, you never ever do just one valve when you have a bent valve and any good mechanic should be able to back that up.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:38 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

[QUOTE=I hate cars;10283475]
I agree with you. No, I NEVER "missed" any shifts, and I have NEVER redlined the car. It does have a rev limiter, which the Service Manager I spoke with even pointed out, and knows as well. I asked him why they didn't do the whole job the first time, but they said only cylinder #6 was losing compression....

quote]

I didn't realize this was a used car. Don't pay a dime.

Each lobe of the cam has the exact same lift and duration. Each piston stops at the exact same point in the bore at TDC. Each valve spring has the same pressure, each valve has the same weight.

If one valve kissed a piston, chances are all of them did. One may have been a little worse than the rest due to very slight valve spring pressure differences.

They were being cheap and were hoping you would be out of warranty when the car came back. Again, you never ever do just one valve when you have a bent valve and any good mechanic should be able to back that up.
No, you were right the first time. I purchased this car brand new (although it had 50 miles on it). This is the second time that I've had this issue with the same car.

I hope that ACS is willing to foot the bill. I really can't even afford it.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:18 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

I'm calling ACS first thing in the morning. Is this what I should tell them? It's what I'm planning on doing...

Also, what should I tell them when they say this happens ONLY during misshifts? The thing is, this has happened and I've NEVER overrevved, and I've NEVER misshifted!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
GL let us know how it goes. To the OP: any updates? How is the car?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:57 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Just called ACS. I'm waiting on the case manager to call me back.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

I'm calling ACS first thing in the morning. Is this what I should tell them? It's what I'm planning on doing...

Also, what should I tell them when they say this happens ONLY during misshifts? The thing is, this has happened and I've NEVER overrevved, and I've NEVER misshifted!
I'm not sure how to approach this since they're right, 99.99% of the time it's an overrev that does this.

It's just a guessing game at this point as to what's happening.

Possible bad batch of valvesprings.

Valves hanging open. (insufficient stem to guide clearance, a slight bend, insufficient lube, etc)

I've seen aluminim heads that weren't hardened sufficiently that would let the valve seats move around causing all kinds of trouble.

Did the car have a pinging problem?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

I do think you've got a case since they want to do all the valves this time around vs just the two the first time around. To me, that's proof they didn't do a complete job the first time around.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:48 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

I'm not sure how to approach this since they're right, 99.99% of the time it's an overrev that does this.

It's just a guessing game at this point as to what's happening.

Possible bad batch of valvesprings.

Valves hanging open. (insufficient stem to guide clearance, a slight bend, insufficient lube, etc)

I've seen aluminim heads that weren't hardened sufficiently that would let the valve seats move around causing all kinds of trouble.

Did the car have a pinging problem?
No pinging.

I do think you've got a case since they want to do all the valves this time around vs just the two the first time around. To me, that's proof they didn't do a complete job the first time around.
Thanks. This is definitely part of my ammunition. I'm sure they'll contact me sometime today or by tomorrow. We'll see what the case manager has to say.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:23 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Angry Unbelievable...

The dealership where my car is currently at is closing down TODAY! Who knows what I've got in store now...ACS seems to be taking the dealership's side, too. Due to the dealership closing down...things are kind of up in the air right now. But, I'm gonna fight it until the end. We'll see.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:32 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

It doesn't look like Acura is going to cover my repairs. The car is being towed to a different Acura dealership today. This is definitely UNBELIEVABLE!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Team Owner

was the tach checked for accuracy?

when i worked in a shop- if a car with a bent valve came in- the heads came off and went to the machine shop- check if the head itself is ok-
then replace ALL the exhaust valves- (thats what gets bent on a TL) and the valve seats or guides and check all the intake valves of course and the cam - etc etc- then the pistons and lower end depending if the car was driven with a bent valve(s)
NEVER would we replace 1-2 valves and think it would last more than 6 months- at which point We had to do it again for FREE

So much damage can occur from shock waves impact....its unreal

Now the real story comes out- that dealer has known they were going under....

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 12-16-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

saving the cash cost of a few more valves to replace,,, once the labor to get to them is done---thats just crazy~

Thats like waiting to do the timing belt till 150k and reusing the tensioner pulley---oh yeah, thats going to work out for you in the long run!
Why change the water pump then if its not leaking either?
dededeeee
Old 12-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

was the tach checked for accuracy?

when i worked in a shop- if a car with a bent valve came in- the heads came off and went to the machine shop- check if the head itself is ok-
then replace ALL the exhaust valves- (thats what gets bent on a TL) and the valve seats or guides and check all the intake valves of course and the cam - etc etc- then the pistons and lower end depending if the car was driven with a bent valve(s)
NEVER would we replace 1-2 valves and think it would last more than 6 months- at which point We had to do it again for FREE

So much damage can occur from shock waves impact....its unreal

Now the real story comes out- that dealer has known they were going under....
Agreed.

ACS *should* be able to help you still. One dealer screwed up but if they have any hint of right or wrong, they would cover it still.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Team Owner

when are you going to contact the local tv station and get their consumer action team on this?
Especially with the dealership closing on you- they can put pressure on acura, and a nice story of local business failure affects employees and customers~
Acura hates bad publicity
Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

You know, I feel like I'm getting screwed...but I just don't want to bring them bad publicity like that...I don't know...maybe I should...

As of now, the car is at another Acura dealership, and the most up-to-date estimate is $5.4K! That is the cost for replacing the heads, and both gaskets, instead of just the valves.

If you guys think I have a LEGITIMATE case, I might pursue it. LMK.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:25 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

I don't think I'm going to pursue any legal action. I'm just going to let the dealership fix my problem and swallow the bill. It's hard, but I think that's my best feasible option.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Team Owner

if the last dealer worked on it-only did 2 valves in an overrev and sent it out the door,
then more damage was sustained,,, causing the need to replace the very expen$ive heads,,,with their all new valves and seats!!!!

Who do you think should have replaced all the exhaust valves and had the head inspected...the seats replaced as needed...when it was all apart last month

Im sure we still all wonder how this occured,
but paying partial or whatever happened and it not being fixed--is totally bogus and definetly bad advertising for acura- bad enough to make it very public that an Acura dealer suddenly and without warning- closed!
You expect that from american car dealers- they are dropping like flies, but Acura???
and to stick you with a botched repair thats a result of someones misguided attempt to save a few dollars- their dollars???
if that dealer was still in business they would be doing the job again for free--they break it they bought it

I was in the biz- I know,,it happened once that somehow 2 valves were replaced on a head and not even new seats...with poor running and failure soon after--with us paying for the repair and trying to turn an unhappy customer happy again
Old 12-19-2008, 03:41 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

if the last dealer worked on it-only did 2 valves in an overrev and sent it out the door,
then more damage was sustained,,, causing the need to replace the very expen$ive heads,,,with their all new valves and seats!!!!

Who do you think should have replaced all the exhaust valves and had the head inspected...the seats replaced as needed...when it was all apart last month

Im sure we still all wonder how this occured,
but paying partial or whatever happened and it not being fixed--is totally bogus and definetly bad advertising for acura- bad enough to make it very public that an Acura dealer suddenly and without warning- closed!
You expect that from american car dealers- they are dropping like flies, but Acura???
and to stick you with a botched repair thats a result of someones misguided attempt to save a few dollars- their dollars???
if that dealer was still in business they would be doing the job again for free--they break it they bought it

I was in the biz- I know,,it happened once that somehow 2 valves were replaced on a head and not even new seats...with poor running and failure soon after--with us paying for the repair and trying to turn an unhappy customer happy again
I hear ya, and I agree. But, I spoke with an automotive law claims attorney, and he said since the first repair was done as a "good will" repair, this might be difficult to pursue.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
It may be in your nature, but *this* time, don't be the nice guy. Play mean and find some buttons to push.

If you're going to spend $5.4k, spend a little more:

Find a way to have your ECU read for Over-Rev. No over-rev = no mis-shift.

Have an independent source inspect the valves, valve spings, cam, etc for correct specs.

OR demand that Acura do thses things with your independent mechanic there to verify.

See if you can independeltly root out the problem and then stick Acura with the repair; you'd have a legal case too, I'd think.

If it's a defect, don't suck it up and pay. Too much money to look the other way.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:24 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
I hear ya, and I agree. But, I spoke with an automotive law claims attorney, and he said since the first repair was done as a "good will" repair, this might be difficult to pursue.
Whatever happened with this? I was getting some work done on my car at Santa Monica acura the other day and I saw your car sitting in the shop. Sorry to hear about all the BS you are going through, you do have a sick ride though I must say.

Last edited by AnthraciteAspec; 12-23-2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:21 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
Whatever happened with this? I was getting some work done on my car at Santa Monica acura the other day and I saw your car sitting in the shop. Sorry to hear about all the BS you are going through, you do have a sick ride though I must say.
Thanks, bro. They are still waiting for the right parts to come in. They ordered the wrong ones the first time. I was told that they can have the car back together in a day, so hopefully by tomorrow I'll have it back. If not, it'll have to be next week.

It looks like I'm going to pay first, and then I might have the old head/valves tested independently. I'm still debating if it'll be worth my time/extra money, though.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:34 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Thanks, bro. They are still waiting for the right parts to come in. They ordered the wrong ones the first time. I was told that they can have the car back together in a day, so hopefully by tomorrow I'll have it back. If not, it'll have to be next week.

It looks like I'm going to pay first, and then I might have the old head/valves tested independently. I'm still debating if it'll be worth my time/extra money, though.
Man what a headache this whole dilemma must have been. I pray I don't have to go through anything like that.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:49 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
Man what a headache this whole dilemma must have been. I pray I don't have to go through anything like that.
It's definitely tough...I'm gonna have to wait until next week, I believe, because they still haven't gotten the right part in yet.

Quick Reply: Engine Misfire codes= BENT VALVES!!