Engine Braking or Difficulty Coasting? Its not normal.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Braking or Difficulty Coasting? Its not normal.

This is what happened to me, and this is why I'm posting this.

Scenario :: Car is at 15K Miles, was able to coast really good from 80 mph down to 70 in almost 6-8 seconds (depending on wind). Took vehicle in for the regular 15K maintenance and oil change @ Rick Case Acura in 441 & Sunrise Blvd in South FL.

Problem :: Picked up the vehicle after having the TSX Loaner (OMFG they pwnt the steering, but not talking about that) and took it back on the I-95, took it up to 80 and immediately noticed it slowing down even when its in 5th gear... called them up and they said its "Normal" I smell bullshit!

What I did :: Took my baby to Phil Smith Acura up in Deerfield (Atlantic Blvd) and talked to Bradd (Service Advisor) and we were able to pinpoint wtf happened. They reset my friggin ECU and drove my vehicle like a Nascar...

Solution :: Reset your god damn ECU by either holding down the throttle when the key is in phase 2, (lights in the dash come up) or take off your ground and activating your lights to drain the power... then drive your car normally and you should notice it coast's properly!

Why the hell does this happen? I really don't know. All I know is that Grade Logic System and Brake Assist come into play. If your a idiot and you drive the car like an asshole flooring it and braking hard, the ECU learns your new habbit and says "OMFG WE GUNNA CRASH IF I DONT SLOW MY OWN SELF DOWN!" so it down shifts thinking your going to race down the streets... instead of just normally upshifting and coasting.

Make's sense? Try it. Works for me...

My name is Sam, and I own a 2007 Beige Acura TL Base & a MAC. lol.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Isn't grade logic control always in effect? Or is it only when you are braking?

Why the hell would they bother to reset your ecu and then take it out for a joyride? an 09 SH-AWD would be more fitting to do that in

Old 06-07-2009, 07:46 AM
10th Gear

No clue, but I reset my own ECU last night and drove like grandpa for the local trip to Walmart... I've noticed the transmission is acting more nicely and more smoother, rather than kicking off at complete stops...

Rick Case Peice of shit... I dont recommend anyone going there... and all of the Service Advisors, ESPECIALLY a lady called "Loreina" are just liars... (they refused to show me my rims were bent, and wanted me to purchase new rims...) But that's for another time.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Why would they drive it at all? Did you check the milage? Its recorded on the service sheet on the way in? Are you assuming they drove it?

Does the ECU record when its reset? Or is the second dealer assuming?

The transmission, if I understand it right, reads your driving habits and adjusts its shift points and smoothness of shift based on your recent driving habits and it doesn't take that long. No reason to reset the ECU.

I'm not sure grade lodgic and the intelligent transmission shifting are the same.

I do know for a fact grade logic & brake assist don't need violent driving to make them activate. I drained everyhting down on mine a while back and living on a hillside ithe grade logic worked and I hardly used the throttle at all.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:45 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

i feel like a newbie..

wow, all of this talk makes the car sound like a robot im so used to old cars i knew that the ecu did some cool stuff, but all this grade logic and intelligent trans is crazy!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
at higher speeds, I don't think the car will "coast" but it will engine brake, however at lower speeds its will coast fine. Take your car to around 55 and then let off, it shouldn't engine brake as much as it does at 80.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I've noticed that it does know when you're on a hill. If I let off around 70mph downhill it usually won't downshift. If I lightly use the brakes it will downshift and hold it until I give it gas again.

During normal driving it definately makes a difference in how aggressively you drive. If I'm in a hurry which isn't often and I'm going gas/brake/gas/brake going through traffic, it will downshift even at 40mph the second I let off the throttle. If I drive it like an old man which I do most of the time it's as if grade logic isn't even there.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:32 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Why would they drive it at all? Did you check the milage? Its recorded on the service sheet on the way in? Are you assuming they drove it?

Does the ECU record when its reset? Or is the second dealer assuming?
Mileage before leaving the car at the dealership for oilchange, 15567. After, 15574. (Reset the B Trip Mileage after dropping the keys)

They drove it because I was complaining about severe windnoise at 80 mph... (so they took it on the highway proboly reset the ECU for the lazy way of resetting the oil percentage) They could have drove it rough to get on the highway to ''work in the oil'' or w/e that guy told me a while ago...

They didn't give me a service sheet which is why I think they aren't up to par with other dealers. Should have asked... (Rick Case - AVOID)

Don't know if the ECU records it self being reset... and the second dealer technician (Kevin) told me that he did a test once and drove a car like hell and drove another one like grandpa... the one which was driven like grandpa is smooth and the one like hell is for Jeff Gordon...

I'll let you guys decide... try it on your own vehicles... can't possibly break anything upset create new rattling noise.