Electrical Hide and Seek

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:42 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Electrical Hide and Seek

Hello all!

I just bought a 2005 TL with 103K on it. Nothing major so far (fingers crossed), just little things.

The sensors in this car seem a tad temperamental. Sometimes l will start the car and the BRAKE/ABS/VSA lights will be on, sometimes the SRS light will be on, and other times the dash will be perfectly clear.
The first time it happened (BRAKE/ABS/VSA), I turned the key to start and the car hesitated a full second before starting. Scared the crap out of me.

The car also has a bit of a whine that increases in pitch as RPMs increase, perhaps the alternator? It sort of sounds like a sci-fi warp drive or something. It would be a really cool sound if it wasn't coming from my engine bay.

The previous owner had poor service records unfortunately, she said her daughter cleaned it out once and threw away EVERYTHING. The only things I can verify that have been replaced fairly recently are the timing belt, battery, oil and starter.
Any ideas on squashing these bugs?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Sounds like you have charging issues....either alternator or battery. Charging issues make this car do odd things. Check your connections at the battery, then work to confirm if the sound can be isolated down to the actual component.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 517 Posts
Originally Posted by bazzle592
Hello all!

I just bought a 2005 TL with 103K on it. Nothing major so far (fingers crossed), just little things.

The sensors in this car seem a tad temperamental. Sometimes l will start the car and the BRAKE/ABS/VSA lights will be on, sometimes the SRS light will be on, and other times the dash will be perfectly clear.
The first time it happened (BRAKE/ABS/VSA), I turned the key to start and the car hesitated a full second before starting. Scared the crap out of me.

The car also has a bit of a whine that increases in pitch as RPMs increase, perhaps the alternator? It sort of sounds like a sci-fi warp drive or something. It would be a really cool sound if it wasn't coming from my engine bay.

The previous owner had poor service records unfortunately, she said her daughter cleaned it out once and threw away EVERYTHING. The only things I can verify that have been replaced fairly recently are the timing belt, battery, oil and starter.
Any ideas on squashing these bugs?

Thanks!
I'd second what Jackass said--and lean towards the alternator going out. Has a similar problem with a 2G and the alternator replacement solved the problem. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 180 Posts
Get your ear near the alternator
Old 04-21-2018, 09:47 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't seem like it's the alternator; the whine is only audible when the car is in gear (oh boy transmission stuff [I assume]). Going to replace the fluid soon. No other issues with the transmission as far as I can tell, it shifts real smooth. Guess we'll see if that helps.

It hasn't had a freak-out since I made the post. It had a couple in a row and then never again. The SRS light seems to be linked to the passenger seat; it has become less intermittent and almost always comes on when someone sits in it.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:17 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
That automatic transmission has a whine of its own even when it's working properly. It can be moderately louder than what you'd expect. If shifting is smooth, I wouldn't worry too much about it.