Due for trans fluid change, to add lucas or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Due for trans fluid change, to add lucas or no?

Hey Acurazine,

I remember quite a while since owning this car, i went on this forum discussing my issue with 2nd gear jerking at times when i let off the gas pedal before it gets into the gear, or sometimes it just random jerks when shifting. But i would say 95% of the time it shifts perfectly fine. Goes through all gears perfectly when i put my foot down. I'm currently due for a trannny fluid change and on my previous one, my friends dad (mechanic) diagnosed my problem for the second gear as slipping and so he put some lucas stop slip in it. Ever since then, my car seems to shift perfectly fine, although it still has the 2nd gear random jerks i described above.
I'll be going to my mechanic on friday to do a change and i was wondering, should i try out using ONLY honda ATF and driving the car around seeing how the gears react, then if its shifting poorly, drain some and add lucas stop slip?
I don't believe my tranny has any slipping issues besides the occassional 2nd gear jerking issue. Is this normal? my mechanic seems to think the 2nd gear random jerks are attributable to my transmission slipping. But im not sure. Car still has its power when needed and drives smoothly, despite the 2nd gear randomness.

I've done to this day, both pressure switches and this upcoming friday will be my 3rd transmission fluid change since 10 months ago when i owned it. that's about all i've done for my tranny.

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 01-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
What's happening is that your shift to second gear is slipping or not fully engaged, and then when it engages, it clunks hard and jerks the car when you allow it to shift by letting off the gas.

This is not normal.

To be honest, I've had this symptom for almost TWO years.
Needless to say, my transmission will need to be rebuilt sooner or later.
I've documented what has happened to my transmission and what I've done on Acurazine over the couple of years.
Its very odd to me that my car has been slipping for two years but yet has not failed me. It engages through all gears except it will slip from 3rd to 4th if accelerating lightly.
Most transmission failure stories end up having the car slip, then losing all the gears within 2 days.
Do I worry about my transmission failing every time I drive? Not one bit. I'd keep driving it like normal to test out how long it can really last.
BUT, the only reason why I'm rebuilding it is because I don't want the time to come that my car stops working in the middle of the road and I need to call a two truck to tow it to my transmission shop (4 hour drive away). Local transmission shops are too expensive which is why I found a reputable shop 4 hours away. I would rather be able to drive there than have to pay a tow truck to get there.

I would try Redline D6 instead of Honda DW1.
The only thing in my transmission right now is Redline Type-F Racing fluid mixed with Lightweight Racing fluid.

Type-F fluid is what most guys in the warmer states use, so I'll probably be doing a drain and refill with Redline D6 just to be able to shift better in the cold.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 01-12-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
If the shudder is between 2/3 & 3/2 gears replace solenoids...

1. Shift C.

2. Pressure A/B and 3 o-rings for the small pipes. Check for debris in the screens at the bottom of the three pipes.

OEM parts only.

Replace the trans external filter.

DW1 ATF only.

If the shudder is in gears 1/2 & 2/1 then it's internal. Trans is going to die when it gives out. Maybe try adjusting the cable at center console.

As a hail marry pass you can think out side the box. Meaning try anything you want.

Personally I would replace at a minimum Pressure Solenoid A/B, O-rings and the gasket bc this solenoid controls the pressure to the transmission clutches. Has a hand in all gears.

Last edited by 01acls; 01-12-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
What's happening is that your shift to second gear is slipping or not fully engaged, and then when it engages, it clunks hard and jerks the car when you allow it to shift by letting off the gas.

This is not normal.

I've documented what has happened to my transmission and what I've done on Acurazine over the couple of years.
Its very odd to me that my car has been slipping for two years but yet has not failed me. It engages through all gears except it will slip from 3rd to 4th if accelerating lightly.
Most transmission failure stories end up having the car slip, then losing all the gears within 2 days.
Do I worry about my transmission failing every time I drive? Not one bit. I'd keep driving it like normal to test out how long it can really last.
BUT, the only reason why I'm rebuilding it is because I don't want the time to come that my car stops working in the middle of the road and I need to call a two truck to tow it to my transmission shop (4 hour drive away). Local transmission shops are too expensive which is why I found a reputable shop 4 hours away. I would rather be able to drive there than have to pay a tow truck to get there.

The only thing in my transmission right now is Redline Type-F Racing fluid mixed with Lightweight Racing fluid.

Type-F fluid is what most guys in the warmer states use, so I'll probably be doing a drain and refill with Redline D6 just to be able to shift better in the cold.
I find it odd that our transmissions can occasionally have this jerk and perform smoothly otherwise.
But yeah, I have your same attitude, I drive this car how I like it. Not really worrying about the inevitable. Although I kinda wish my transmission, if it does go out, that it goes out in two-three years, when I'll have enough money to replace the car.
For now I'm saving up cash readily available for when the transmission doomsday occurs. Lucky for me, my tranny shop is 10 minutes from my house so tow trucking won't be an issue.

so I'm guessing, there's no point in me testing out my tranny with just oem fluid. I should just add the Lucas stop slip right away?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Ultimately it's your car and you can add what you want but if i were in your shoes, I would just do DW-1 fluid change and monitor to see if it's improved. I've always been the type to look into these additives but after researching AZ and reading stories, sometimes, less is more.

But this is just my opinion and just like assholes, everyone has one.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
I would much rather use Lubeguard red vs lucas products! Lots of positive reviews on the lubeguard online.

I'd honestly check the solenoids and such before venturing into the fluids. A simple piece of debris can really mess things up.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:23 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
have you done anything new

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16

This is not normal.

My car has been doing the same thing since Feb 1st. Have you tried replacing the solenoids yet?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
cleaning?

Originally Posted by 01acls
If the shudder is between 2/3 & 3/2 gears replace solenoids...

1. Shift C.

2. Pressure A/B and 3 o-rings for the small pipes. Check for debris in the screens at the bottom of the three pipes.

OEM parts only.

Replace the trans external filter.

DW1 ATF only.

If the shudder is in gears 1/2 & 2/1 then it's internal. Trans is going to die when it gives out. Maybe try adjusting the cable at center console.

As a hail marry pass you can think out side the box. Meaning try anything you want.

Personally I would replace at a minimum Pressure Solenoid A/B, O-rings and the gasket bc this solenoid controls the pressure to the transmission clutches. Has a hand in all gears.
Is it ok just to clean these solenoids? Or should they be replaced?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:36 AM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
We don't usually use Lucas products from transmissions. But we do use a product that helps with slipping. We use it on a lot of BMW's
Old 03-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Hinchey
Thats a tough call. You can test it all you want but if the clog is inside the solenoid's passage/orifice, then no cleaning is going to unclog that and given the age of the car there's got to be some wear. Plus, it might only act up if its under a load so I say replace them bc thats the only way to know for sure if the problem is internal or external. .02
Old 03-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Hinchey
By cleaning the switches and solenoids, the worst possible outcome is that the switch no longer works and you'll have to buy a new one anyway.

It's worth a shot to clean them out.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:11 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Lubegard is your best source for "pour in" transmission fixes.