Drive power seat making louder noise when going back and forth

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Drive power seat making louder noise when going back and forth

i noticed the driver seat makes a bit louder noise from the motor when going back and forth - when doing different angles its really quiet. the passenger seat is quiet in all settings when the seat is being adjusted...

is this a known problem? the car has under 30k miles
Old 02-18-2010, 04:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you might have something in the track. i had a quarter in mine and it made a loud noise moving back and forth
Old 02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Funny you should mention. Mine started making a noise like an electric motor struggling, just in the last couple weeks and it moved very slowly when adjusting back and forth. Tonight, it was making the noise louder than before, and only one side was moving, so the seat was basically pivoting instead of sliding fore and aft! So after a couple minutes of cursing murphy's law that this would have to frickin' happen about two weeks out of my 90-day used car warranty, I calmed down, grabbed a flashlight and took a look under the seat. There was a quarter in the rails, but it pulled right out, so that was definitely not binding things up. I looked under the front and saw something that wasn't quite right. Pardon the lack of technical terms in my description, but there looks like a cable drive between the two motors on each rail. It looks like tv coax cable. At the ends of the cable should be caps that screw onto the plastic threaded end at each motor. One side is blue plastic and the other is white, so you know what I'm looking at. Well on my seat, the caps had unscrewed and just slid down the cable housing. So I lined the caps up nice to the threads, screw them both back as finger-tight as I can, and now the fore-aft seat adjustment hums and moves as quietly and efficiently as all the other seat adjustments. Problem solved, so I search AZ to see if this is a known issue and whaddayaknow I see your thread. It may not be the same as your problem, but I would definitely check those caps are screwed down.